Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 244 times

Re: The "OMG! If Only I Knew back Then" Thread

Post by Kiwiaxe »

I still have my Linn Classik in storage. Must be nearly 20 years old. Great unit

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

sizzlingbadger wrote:I had a pair of Leak TL/12's, a pair of Quad II's and a Quad 22 pre-amp. I ran them into massive horn speakers which were about 6ft tall. It was all passed down to me from grandad. When I bought my first house I had to get rid of the horn speakers as I had no room. The amps when in the cupboard under the stairs for years and eventually went in a skip. Fucking idiot looking back now.
I suddenly feel very ill. :sick:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Today I found a photo of my horn speakers while packing for the house move. My grandad built these and they sounded very good. Its an iPhone photo of a real photo and then cropped a bit so its not great quality. Bass was a 12" speaker.
IMG_1177.jpg
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

There were two of these, it was stereo :winky:
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

if I only knew back then how polarizing opinions are I would have kept mine to myself
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Frey wrote:Epic.

If only I knew back then how much I'd miss my JV squier strat. You've all heard that sob story a million times before though so whatever.
Well I had one back in the 80's, bought brand new, so I've missed mine longer :P
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

Back to original post: "Opened Guitar Player Magazine from June 1992 today"

Wow - do you just casually read 25 year old guitar magazines or was this a special case? Silver Jubilee?
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Delayman wrote:Back to original post: "Opened Guitar Player Magazine from June 1992 today"

Wow - do you just casually read 25 year old guitar magazines or was this a special case? Silver Jubilee?
I still have a few, and occasionally flip through them. As I grow-develop-change-decompose as a guitar player, it's amazing how many treasures there are to be found.
Where else would you discover that a $50,000 Ohmygodwow!!! amp used to be a moderately expensive mail order item with a no questions, refund guarantee?
The majority of my magazine collection went to Slash-ed a couple of years ago.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

I nearly bought 1000 shares in Xero when it first launched at $1 a share. Emphasis on the nearly. Oops.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

If I knew I was never going to make more than a few bucks out of music I would have got a proper career. I'd like to add that given my marriage break up 5 years ago, only a year after moving to Kapiti, my list of 'If I only knew back then's is very long.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

mr_sooty wrote:If I knew I was never going to make more than a few bucks out of music I would have got a proper career. I'd like to add that given my marriage break up 5 years ago, only a year after moving to Kapiti, my list of 'If I only knew back then's is very long.
That is one of life's big conundrums, take the path I have and do a job that is so shit it burns the very core of who you are, but it pays well and allows you to appreciate the world and what it can give outside of work, or follow your true calling and wonder forever about all the fruits of life you've miss out on because you can't afford them.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

That's the true conundrum!
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Danger Mouse wrote:
mr_sooty wrote:If I knew I was never going to make more than a few bucks out of music I would have got a proper career. I'd like to add that given my marriage break up 5 years ago, only a year after moving to Kapiti, my list of 'If I only knew back then's is very long.
That is one of life's big conundrums, take the path I have and do a job that is so shit it burns the very core of who you are, but it pays well and allows you to appreciate the world and what it can give outside of work, or follow your true calling and wonder forever about all the fruits of life you've miss out on because you can't afford them.
Somewhere along the line I seem to have decided chasing that conundrum is like wondering what would happen if I was born a woman, or American, or gay or whatever.
Didn't happen. There's no answer. Right; carry on.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

Danger Mouse wrote:
I agree that is one of life's big conundrums, take the path I have and do a job that is so shit it burns the very core of who you are, but it pays well and allows you to appreciate the world and what it can give outside of work, or follow your true calling and wonder forever about all the fruits of life you've miss out on because you can't afford them.[/quote]

It is a true conundrum alright - I am in a similar place - went the way of corporate career at the expense of anything creative - but then I wonder how unhappy I'd be if I had worked this hard at something creative and it still turned out to pay like a hobby. Every choice has positives and negatives.

Although I guess I can look at the life I have and be happy I've never had to sacrifice my basic values of honesty and treating people with respect and so on - that would be true regret. I can live with the 'what might have been' questions.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Delayman wrote:
It is a true conundrum alright - I am in a similar place - went the way of corporate career at the expense of anything creative - but then I wonder how unhappy I'd be if I had worked this hard at something creative and it still turned out to pay like a hobby. Every choice has positives and negatives.

Although I guess I can look at the life I have and be happy I've never had to sacrifice my basic values of honesty and treating people with respect and so on - that would be true regret. I can live with the 'what might have been' questions.
You should be happy, everyone has what ifs and what might have beens, but those live in the past and we can't do anything about them. We roll the dice, throw the dart at the map, make our choices and live by them.

I certainly don't have a shit life, it has given me many amazing opportunities and experiences, so there's nothing to regret.

Well maybe turning doing that offer of a threesome with two women, because I thought they were joking (they weren't).

Maybe it's OK to have one regret.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.