Forums have been slow, how about a 'In the mail' thread?

Gear Aquisition Syndrome is a serious disorder.... FX etc

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3531 times
Been liked: 724 times

Re: Forums have been slow, how about a 'In the mail' thread?

Post by Cdog »

jubbathehog wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:49 pm SE Electronics SE X1 R Ribbon mic from Andertons.
First time buying off them, arrived in under a week and around half the price with shipping included.
Wanted to try a cheap ribbon, and this one had good reviews. Sounds great on a crunchy guitar paired up with a SM57, more fullness in the bottom end.
Nice. I've had great service fron Anderson's a couple times also. Great how they deduct the VAT :)

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 105 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Friedman IR-X. According to 'what's my duty' at NZ customs it should pass customs without any charges. I got sick of waiting for the two authorized NZ dealers to get around to bringing one in, so I imported direct from BAD myself.

I do not expect it to sound like a BE Deluxe, or any other 100 watt amp when running direct to DAW and my little 8" monitors. It has no power amp. No big power valves, big output transformer, no currents big enough to kill you, or big speakers in a big 4x12, so why would I even expect it to? I do expect to get some good preamp sounds thru DAW from it though.

Being outboard of DAW, it will handle being hit by hot pedals better than my Audient interface's DI. Currently I have to pad hot pedal levels down to not clip the interface's input and then set levels in DAW to boost amp sims -- it's a pain in the butt.

I have a Freyette PS-2A Power Station to use as a reactive load for my JMP 50 clone amp, but for practice and noodling I find myself playing amp sims thru DAW more than using the real thing. The amp is way more honest than any model or capture of one I have tried, but I do not like putting all that strain on the valves and components cranking it into the Power Station. I get nervous cranking the amp, so only do it for short runs. I have killed a few amps myself, plus I saw the Angus Rig Rundown and how many JMP amps he kills running them hard. The IR-X seems like a good middle ground to me. A valve preamp is much harder to kill, as is an IR.

https://friedmanamplification.com/shop/ ... dman-ir-x/

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7840 times
Been liked: 4229 times

Post by jeremyb »

Aquila Rossa wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:23 pm Friedman IR-X. According to 'what's my duty' at NZ customs it should pass customs without any charges. I got sick of waiting for the two authorized NZ dealers to get around to bringing one in, so I imported direct from BAD myself.

I do not expect it to sound like a BE Deluxe, or any other 100 watt amp when running direct to DAW and my little 8" monitors. It has no power amp. No big power valves, big output transformer, no currents big enough to kill you, or big speakers in a big 4x12, so why would I even expect it to? I do expect to get some good preamp sounds thru DAW from it though.

Being outboard of DAW, it will handle being hit by hot pedals better than my Audient interface's DI. Currently I have to pad hot pedal levels down to not clip the interface's input and then set levels in DAW to boost amp sims -- it's a pain in the butt.

I have a Freyette PS-2A Power Station to use as a reactive load for my JMP 50 clone amp, but for practice and noodling I find myself playing amp sims thru DAW more than using the real thing. The amp is way more honest than any model or capture of one I have tried, but I do not like putting all that strain on the valves and components cranking it into the Power Station. I get nervous cranking the amp, so only do it for short runs. I have killed a few amps myself, plus I saw the Angus Rig Rundown and how many JMP amps he kills running them hard. The IR-X seems like a good middle ground to me. A valve preamp is much harder to kill, as is an IR.

https://friedmanamplification.com/shop/ ... dman-ir-x/

This excites me very much, looking forward to a review!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 201 times

Post by jhyang549 »

Picked this up today. Got a great deal for an Ibanez S521 - in great condition and the seller was really helpful and nice.

Came with an Ibanez case and a cable as well.

It is astonishingly light - 2.3 KG. It is so light that it has an slight issue with neck dive but I play sitting down with a strap so that doesn't matter to me.

Pickups are good and have a good variety of tones.

I spent a few hours cleaning and setting up the guitar. It's really comfortable to play. Very happy with this guitar.
Attachments
20231105_190519.jpg
20231105_190519.jpg (1.55 MiB) Viewed 12848 times

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

I’ve got a couple of pedals on the way one of which I really don’t know how it’ll work out

Fingers crossed
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 675 times
Been liked: 574 times

Post by TmcB »

foal30 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:24 pm I’ve got a couple of pedals on the way one of which I really don’t know how it’ll work out

Fingers crossed
What they be?
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 644 times
Been liked: 810 times

Post by hamo »

TmcB wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:06 pm
foal30 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:24 pm I’ve got a couple of pedals on the way one of which I really don’t know how it’ll work out

Fingers crossed
What they be?
A finger is a prominent digit on the forelimbs of most tetrapod vertebrate animals, especially those with prehensile extremities (i.e. hands) such as humans.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7840 times
Been liked: 4229 times

Post by jeremyb »

hamo wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:12 pm

Fingers crossed
What they be?
A finger is a prominent digit on the forelimbs of most tetrapod vertebrate animals, especially those with prehensile extremities (i.e. hands) such as humans.
Thanks for stepping in here when I was away Hamish, so glad to have you on the team!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 675 times
Been liked: 574 times

Post by TmcB »

And which one do I tell you to sit on and take a spin?
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

Fingers crossed
What they be?
Prunes and Custard
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 644 times
Been liked: 810 times

Post by hamo »

TmcB wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:38 pm And which one do I tell you to sit on and take a spin?
I think you know the answer to that. :mrgreen:
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 700 times

Post by AiRdAd »

IK Multimedia TONEX
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3933 times

Post by Bg »

Not in the mail, but picking up from Aucks next friday..... yay Kemper!
Flying in for a meeting next week, so no time to meet up with anyone.

Coming for the weekend the week after though, will post a thread, and hopefully we can do beersies! Mount Eden way!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 1082 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

One of these but lefty. It's a Westone. I'll always buy a lefty Westone.
57_1eeca0bd-3c01-44fe-832d-4d0538122ef7_960x.jpg
57_1eeca0bd-3c01-44fe-832d-4d0538122ef7_960x.jpg (302.26 KiB) Viewed 11978 times

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

Chuffed...long time GAS target.

Knob fest.jpg
Knob fest.jpg (384.96 KiB) Viewed 11880 times