Trade-me Madness

Gear Aquisition Syndrome is a serious disorder.... FX etc

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

pete_currie
Squier
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: Trade-me Madness

Post by pete_currie »

I was watching an auction yesterday, the auction was won by someone else, then I received a fixed price offer for the item??
How does that work?? Never had it happen before, then it happened yesterday on two different auctions.

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Some Bozo »

pete_currie wrote:I was watching an auction yesterday, the auction was won by someone else, then I received a fixed price offer for the item??
How does that work?? Never had it happen before, then it happened yesterday on two different auctions.
That seller can do that when they're selling multiple identical items. Confused the bejeezes out of me the first few times I saw it. They should probably add a standard bit of text explaining that when it happens but they don't.
"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

satchboogie
Ashton
Ashton

Post by satchboogie »

Some Bozo wrote:
pete_currie wrote:I was watching an auction yesterday, the auction was won by someone else, then I received a fixed price offer for the item??
That seller can do that when they're selling multiple identical items. Confused the bejeezes out of me the first few times I saw it. They should probably add a standard bit of text explaining that when it happens but they don't.
Or if the seller doesn't want to sell it for that price it went for during the auction they can offer it to all the people who had it on their watchlist. After you have sold something, go to that item and click on fixed price offer.
Kristie_Amperzahn: Did I mention I'm a big dumb doo-doo-head? Because I am. A totaly smeg for brains no good doo doo headed git.

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Some Bozo »

satchboogie wrote:
Some Bozo wrote:
Or if the seller doesn't want to sell it for that price it went for during the auction they can offer it to all the people who had it on their watchlist. After you have sold something, go to that item and click on fixed price offer.
Surely the seller's obliged to sell it to the person who won the auction at the price they won it at. "Won" meaning it reached reserve. They can only offer it to the other watchers if they have more than one of them.
"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

satchboogie
Ashton
Ashton

Post by satchboogie »

I know what you mean. It happened to me a few weeks ago with a hello kitty squire. The chick wanted $600 for it. It sold for $200, next thing i know i got a fixed price offer of $600 for it
Kristie_Amperzahn: Did I mention I'm a big dumb doo-doo-head? Because I am. A totaly smeg for brains no good doo doo headed git.

pete_currie
Squier

Post by pete_currie »

satchboogie wrote:I know what you mean. It happened to me a few weeks ago with a hello kitty squire. The chick wanted $600 for it. It sold for $200, next thing i know i got a fixed price offer of $600 for it
If someone puts a $1 reserve on an auction or has a low reserve, then they should be prepared to sell it for the winning price.
I suppose with the amount of rule breaking on various auctions each day it's just another thing for trademe to try and police.

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Some Bozo »

pete_currie wrote:
satchboogie wrote:I know what you mean. It happened to me a few weeks ago with a hello kitty squire. The chick wanted $600 for it. It sold for $200, next thing i know i got a fixed price offer of $600 for it
If someone puts a $1 reserve on an auction or has a low reserve, then they should be prepared to sell it for the winning price.
I suppose with the amount of rule breaking on various auctions each day it's just another thing for trademe to try and police.
From TM's Help page: "After the auction closes the seller can offer the item to any bidder, or trader who has added the auction to their watchlist. The seller can offer the auction whether the auction has met the reserve or not."

What the ? That's fucked up. So at what point after "winning" the auction with the highest bid over the reserve is it definitley yours ? Has anyone here "won" something and then lost it when someone else took the offer ? Something's rotten here.

satchboogie
Ashton
Ashton

Post by satchboogie »

Some Bozo wrote:
pete_currie wrote:
From TM's Help page: "After the auction closes the seller can offer the item to any bidder, or trader who has added the auction to their watchlist. The seller can offer the auction whether the auction has met the reserve or not."

What the ? That's fucked up. So at what point after "winning" the auction with the highest bid over the reserve is it definitley yours ? Has anyone here "won" something and then lost it when someone else took the offer ? Something's rotten here.
Im sure thats what happened to me with the hello kitty squire i was watching

JD
Gibson

Post by JD »

What?! I didn't know that, that's outrageous. If you win the thing, you win the thing. Even as a seller I don't think that's fair. What's the point of an auction if you can go ahead and change your mind about the price after it's over?

I can understand it if it didn't reach reserve. If I won an auction I'd expect to get the item at that price. :shock:

I suppose trademe gets its fees if it hits reserve regardless of what you do...so I suppose they're happy!
Country blues and acoustic lover.

lukanize
Stagg
Stagg

Post by lukanize »

are you sure its not that you can offer a fixed price aswell to the other people if you have multiple items but you still have to go ahead with the auction trade itself...

JD
Gibson

Post by JD »

I just checked my last auction and it says:
If the sale falls through...
1. Make a Fixed Price Offer to the other bidders or relist this item.
2. Place feedback about the buyer.
3. To request a refund of your success fee click here.

So, it's supposed to be if the sale falls through. However, I clicked on the button (no.1) and was interested to see you can indeed do it. Also, it shows all the watchers on the auction!

You learn something new every day.
Country blues and acoustic lover.

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

JD wrote:Also, it shows all the watchers on the auction!

You learn something new every day.
does it actually show you there names/ids ?

if it does that's interesting, and a little silly of trademe from their perspective (I think)

nzsimon1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by nzsimon1 »

basically if you have more than 1 of anything for sale you can offer the other bidders one as well at a price of your choosing if you make it the same price it can be tricky keeping track as both sales will have the same auction number I generally make them slightly different prices so I can tell who has paid

Doesn't mean you can get out of the closed winning auction
the conspirary theorists are running wild

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

did anyone see what the Conklin 5 went for.
shamelessly nosy of me, just interested.

pete_currie
Squier

Post by pete_currie »

foal30 wrote:did anyone see what the Conklin 5 went for.
shamelessly nosy of me, just interested.
That's one of the auctions I was watching. The highest bid was $695(not me) and the reserve was met, then I get a fixed price offer for $780. What the crap?!?!?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =151441191