Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

If its in good condition, thats a hell of a bargain for $1k!!!!!! Even if it's US$1k, its pretty good. I think retail on the current version of this model could be approaching NZ$3k...
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

Kloppsta wrote:Just over $1k landed.
Come to think of it, not knowing anything about Ibanez, I don't even know if that is a good price?!....but I figured a guitar with those specs if worth a grand, even if I don't know anything about it :)

This is what the "description" said -

"Twilight Blue finish, AAA flamed maple top with natural edge binding, mahogany body, Wizard Prestige neck with pearloid logo, Low Pro Edge tremolo, DiMarzio humbuckers (PAF Pro and Tone Zone), Abalone dot inlays."
Good deal! :shock: That is a whole lotta guitar for a grand. Where'd you get it from?
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

Ash what model Ibanez here is the most popular.

That guitat with all those features for 1k is pretty hard to beat. I looked at some Ibanez here for $800 and they were pretty average

Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by Kloppsta »

Phew! Well its good to know I didn't get the rip! :)
It was offered to me by a USA based Collector/Dealer.
Ive been on the look out for a "shredder" guitar for a while, so he kept emailing me these different guitars (lots of Ibanez RG's, Kramers, Jackson's, Charvel's, BC. Rich etc.) this one stuck out to me so I grabbed it.
Little by little, by hook or by crook

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

TMG 03 wrote:Ash what model Ibanez here is the most popular.

That guitat with all those features for 1k is pretty hard to beat. I looked at some Ibanez here for $800 and they were pretty average
Well, the cheapies are always going to sell in volumes, and the wank-factor signature models are always on someone's wishlist...

GRX40s and GAX30s fly out the door, a few each day at $400 ish a go.

Stach and Vai models are rare-ish, but don't stay on the shelf for long even if they're crap, which is all to often the case.

Probaby the RG320s are the most numerous of the worthwhile Ibanez models. The can be anywhere from OK to fantastic for the money. The mahogany, non trem ones are excellent.

SZs and S320/470s are quite popular too, but it depends on which are in the catalogue and which have been mass-ordered at a given time...
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

ash wrote:Stach and Vai models are rare-ish, but don't stay on the shelf for long even if they're crap, which is all to often the case...
:? Interesting. Vai maintains that a Jem - any Jem - anywhere in the world will be exactly like his guitars, and therefore one ought to assume they'd all be very good, one would have thought. You're not just talking about the Jem555 or whatever it is - the budget Korean-made one?
SZs and S320/470s are quite popular too, but it depends on which are in the catalogue and which have been mass-ordered at a given time...
I've played a low-end SZ, and it was beautiful. I think it was something like $1100 if I recall correctly. The S series are great (but I would say that, after lusting after one for 16 years before I got one ;) ) - and I think my s470 is around the bottom of the S range - is that right, Ash?

I think some of the Ibanez SA models are around $800. The one I played (unamplified; who knows what the pickups would be like :P ) was really really nice. It was basically shaped like an S, but a bit thicker, and had SSH pups, and a non-locking trem. Quite nice to play too, I thought. Wouldn't mind getting one of those and kitting it out like an Andy Timmons model - but without the distastrous overdone fret inlays)

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

Your S470 would be mid-range, I think. There are 2 or three lower than it and 4 or so higher.

The dodgy Vai and JS models I've seen are the top end $4500 ones. All have been well below par in my opinion. The cheap korean ones are as good as any other cheap korean guitar with a signature premium on the price tag. They're clearly "well made" and generally a bit better in all respects except that they were impossible to set up to the standard I expect from a stupidly expensive guitar.
There sure wasn't $4k difference between a universe and a $500 guitar!

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

That's not good :?

I often find in many things that the middle of the range is the best bet. 8) The bottom end is generally just too crap; but the top end isn't good/better enough to justify the price premium.

Here be bloggins

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

The Andy Timmons model could well be just the same. Spend $3700 on an AT300 or spend $800 on an SA160 and $600 on decent pickups and trem...

It still wouldn't be an AT300 and wouldn't have the same skinny neck, but it would be a fair competitor...

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

TMG 03 wrote:Very cool. I am all gassed out these days. If anything I think I want a Drum kit. ;)
hahaha i might sell mine ;)

dragonorchid
Stagg
Stagg

Post by dragonorchid »

I own a guitar, even though I can't play... now that's real "GAS"
Michelle
Audio Engineer
http://www.therockfactory.net
"Helping our fellow musicians through quality Recording and Live Sound Production"
BVs and keyboards for Amperzahn (Kristie's Band)...

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3930 times

Post by Bg »

hahaha yeah thats the ultimate :)

oh hang on, I own two basses and yet can only play one at a time - spooky!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Gelato
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Gelato »

Damn, that's a nice Ibanez! And the price? :shock:

The RG I picked up not too long ago is an RG270. I changed the stock back pickup for a DiMarzio Evolution. It is a fantastic guitar, one of the nicest gats I have ever played. My Strat and JS100 don't get much of a look in these days, as I can't seem to put the RG down....

I'm sure you will enjoy this one :)

szukalski
Stagg
Stagg

Post by szukalski »

The Ibanez Prestige series is a continuation of the RG30 US Custom series that was out in the mid 90's.
RG30's were assembled in the states from Japanese parts, except for the necks, which were manufactured by Bunker Guitars. The necks had a tension free truss rod and are pretty solid as well as not having the classic "too thin" Ibanez profile.
I have an RG30 and it is the sexiest Ibanez I've ever played. (I've played various Jems, RG's, S's, Artists, SZ's, I'm a big Ibanez fanboy).
And the direct mount pickups are HOT!
So yeah, the Prestige is basically a RG30, without the Bunker neck, plays the same, sounds pretty much the same, looks the same. (Well... RG30's had a quilted maple top.. but I digress, the rest of the setup is the same).
Should have a 5-way selector switch with some nice in between tones.
I find my RG30 to play like any JEM/RG, but with a more comfortable neck, and the tones are very "Dream Theater"ish, but with a nice Strat sweet spot tone.
I would never give up my RG30, and if I had that Prestige, I reckon I'd feel the same about that.

EDIT : In case you were interested, these models retail around $3K, as mentioned before. The RG30 was listed at $3.2K, though I never paid that.
Last edited by szukalski on Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shut Up 'n' Play Yer Guitar
95 Ibanez RG30 US Custom - 77 Ibanez 59er Deluxe - 97 PRS McCarty
Carvin Legacy - Jansen 620

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

heh - so the neck would be too big for me then? ;) I'd like to put a Wizard II neck on every guitar I own 8)

Here be bloggins