Gear Aquisition Syndrome is a serious disorder.... FX etc

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

JamesW
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Importing Gear

Post by JamesW »

I'm thinking about buying an amp online from the US and having it shipped here. Does anybody that has done something similar know what sort of tax issues that would come up and how much I'd be looking at paying?

DBM Music

Post by DBM Music »

Theres GST.. 12.5%

You also need to buy a external transformer cos their power is different. What amp is it?

Cheers

ant
Ashton
Ashton

Post by ant »

The shipping cost would be at least 200$ as well..
What amp are you thinking of bringing in?
And on the customs website
http://www.customs.govt.nz/importers/Pr ... harges.htm

It says 7% duty on amplifiers :cry:

Bluesbird
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Bluesbird »

I wasn't charged any duty on my amp, which was a pleasant surprise, as I had allowed for the 7%. Just had to pay the GST.

If you're getting an amp from a small builder like I did (Victoria), you can have them make it with the correct transformer and power plug for NZ.
"Under the monsters claws and in between his teeth
Was the shadow and a silhouette of what I thought I’d be
I don’t mind falling down and scraping up my knees
Scars and Stitches always fade and only strengthen me."
- Guster

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

GST is really all you pay. and Thats GST on the cost of the item and the shipping together.

But if you are saving a $1000 on the price whats a few hundred on duty?

goldtop0
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 116 times

Post by goldtop0 »

JamesW get an accurate freight quote from your supplier if it's a dealer as the cost is generally thru the roof for heavy things like amps sent per Airfreight or Fedex.
If you're getting it from an individual contact Fedex as they're really efficient and quick,but this costs a bit as a result.
Doin' that scrapyard thing.

DongHua
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by DongHua »

external transformer is the pain, and will certainly cause some minor damage or problem, which is bad for a amp, because a 100w amp certainly will create more than 100wpower, external transformer is not a good solution for a amp at all unless you can get it custom made for 240v external transformer.

By the way, UPS in wellington is Shit! The always forget pickup the goods and deliver do the wrong address, always. Fedex is good.

JamesW
Stagg
Stagg

Post by JamesW »

The website quoted $135US for shipping and I think they use UPS. The Amp I'm looking at is a Marshall AVT150H and I'd be saving about $800 on the cost of the amp, not including shipping.

Another option I'm considering is getting it sent via ground mail to my uncle in Houston, as they ship free within the US and getting him to send it to me.

If anyone has more info on the external transformer problem that would be helpful too.

ant
Ashton
Ashton

Post by ant »

This may sound a bit snobby but I would go for an all valve amp if you are importing, you see marshall valvestates / AVT appear on trademe quite often - just pick one of these up..

For the un-enlightened, more watts does not equal better tone :)

I would seriously suggest comparing the AVT with some valve amps(turn them up a bit) before buying brand new, because you can pickup a 2nd hand valve amp for the price of the AVT..

JamesW
Stagg
Stagg

Post by JamesW »

I've been checking Trademe but haven't seen anything for a while.

As for getting an all valve amp. I prefer buying my gear new as it avoids inheriting any problems that the previous owner had and lets face getting new gear's much nicer that getting something "pre-loved.'

I like Marshalls so I'd prefer one over another brand and right now their valve amps aren't really in my price range though i'll keep an eye on Trademe for anything that might suit my needs.

goldtop0
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 116 times

Post by goldtop0 »

If you do go ahead it can be a better option to get the power transformer rewound here to our 230 volt standard, costs around $150? I think.
And I have to agree with ant in suggesting an all valve amp rather than a valvestate purely on the basis of all around sound/tone,look on ebay for those.
Doin' that scrapyard thing.

gregtarr
I am Marshall, hear me roar!

Post by gregtarr »

Mmmm. It's better to have an amp which is a bit buggy, but good sounding (with good resale) than an amp which is spanking new but sounds substandard, and the minute you take it out of the shop, you lose a third of it's value.

What problems have people had with second hand amps?
"I told you, pedals sound twice as good when they're stacked on top of other pedals" - Mike Einziger

JamesW
Stagg
Stagg

Post by JamesW »

The other guitarist in my band bought an amp from cash converters and had it crap out on him after a few weeks the guy that repaired it said it was completely screwed. I guess that bad experience shaped my view on second hand amps.

Red Fred
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Red Fred »

Was it a Peavy?

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

no wonder.. cash converters.. sheeshh.. it was a disaster waiting to happen..

the only brand new amp i ever purchased was my Marshall Valvestate 15 watt practice amp almost 7 years ago, never purchased a new one since then.. and never had any problems..

let me go thru the list..
peavey bandit 112
marshall MG50
Vox Cambridge 30
Marshall JCM900
Vox AC-30
Marshall JMP50..

nope none of them have crapped up.. ;)