mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Barber gain changer

Post by mr_sooty »

A mate of mine just bought one of these. It's basically all three versions of the LTD in one box, switchable between the three different versions, plus an extra gain switch, all in an mxr size box. Man, it sounds incredible! I haven't had drive pedal gas for years, but I've got it now. Dude is playing a fake Gibson lp through an epiphone valve junior, a fairly unremarkable sounding rig, but this is how I want an amp to sound when I crank it. Reminds me a little bit of those Phil x vids. Flippin awesome sounding pedal.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 662 times

Re: Barber gain changer

Post by rickenbackerkid »

The barber LTD is a truly great OD, if I was using OD's I'd be getting th Game Changer for sure

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mr_sooty »

Yeah I always loved your LTD, but the Gain Changer for me is, well, a game changer, potentially.

Pastasauce
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Pastasauce »

I wanted to love the LTD so much... GREAT reviews, and brilliant youtube clips, but with my SG and HRDx setup it just sounded really piercing and trebly no matter how you set it. Conway will attest to this... he came over with his gear while the LTD was one my board.

I reckon it must have been a combination of my gear, and the fact it wasn't the SR version. 'Cus if that LTD that sold cheap last week had popped up after I got my new amp, I still would've jumped on it.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Rhettsauce wrote:I wanted to love the LTD so much... GREAT reviews, and brilliant youtube clips, but with my SG and HRDx setup it just sounded really piercing and trebly no matter how you set it. Conway will attest to this... he came over with his gear while the LTD was one my board.

I reckon it must have been a combination of my gear, and the fact it wasn't the SR version. 'Cus if that LTD that sold cheap last week had popped up after I got my new amp, I still would've jumped on it.
stock speaker in the HRD? those things with the stock speaker are pretty unforgiving.

sambrowne
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sambrowne »

Obviously amp dependent but I still prefer my double hotcake over anything else I've tried for these tones. And it is literally two pedals in one, rather than one really great one and a boost or something. I use both sides as though they are two pedals - the right is my main low gain tone, the left for that + a bit more fury. And then both together to just go crazy.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mr_sooty »

The only thing that's stopping me from getting one immediately is the fact that I also really like the drive pedals I have and don't have any more pedal board space.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

You’ve got a G2D and a Blues Breaker, right? I figure the Game Changer could probably replace either one tonally.

Pastasauce
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 30 times

Barber gain changer

Post by Pastasauce »

sambrowne wrote:Obviously amp dependent but I still prefer my double hotcake over anything else I've tried for these tones. And it is literally two pedals in one, rather than one really great one and a boost or something. I use both sides as though they are two pedals - the right is my main low gain tone, the left for that + a bit more fury. And then both together to just go crazy.
I've got a Timmy for low gain and currently a Hotcake for medium gain (bought from Single Coil yesterday). The Hotcake is not setting my world on fire... It's quite furry into a clean amp! I prefer a nice, glassy, DLS flavored mid gain.

We'll see how it sounds tonight though. Running the Timmy after it does tame some of that fur.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 661 times
Been liked: 566 times

Barber gain changer

Post by TmcB »

Rhettsauce wrote:
sambrowne wrote:Obviously amp dependent but I still prefer my double hotcake over anything else I've tried for these tones. And it is literally two pedals in one, rather than one really great one and a boost or something. I use both sides as though they are two pedals - the right is my main low gain tone, the left for that + a bit more fury. And then both together to just go crazy.
I've got a Timmy for low gain and currently a Hotcake for medium gain (bought from Single Coil yesterday). The Hotcake is not setting my world on fire... It's quite furry into a clean amp! I prefer a nice, glassy, DLS flavored mid gain.

We'll see how it sounds tonight though. Running the Timmy after it does tame some of that fur.
Tip: don't go past 12 o'Clock on the gain, use it for crunch and boost, not for saturation.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mr_sooty »

bbrunskill wrote:You’ve got a G2D and a Blues Breaker, right? I figure the Game Changer could probably replace either one tonally.
Yeah, blues breaker clone and g2d classic, and I agree, it could probably replace either, but I like both, so it probably won't.

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

Rhettsauce wrote:

It's a fuzz pedal, so yeah, it's fuzzy.

Try running it around 12 o'clock and then stacking it on top of that other pedal of yours.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

TmcB wrote:
Rhettsauce wrote:

Tip: don't go past 12 o'Clock on the gain, use it for crunch and boost, not for saturation.
Oh yeah, that.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 661 times
Been liked: 566 times

Barber gain changer

Post by TmcB »

Polar Bear wrote:
Rhettsauce wrote:

Try running it around 12 o'clock and then stacking it on top of that other pedal of yours.
Also, try this.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

sambrowne
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sambrowne »

TmcB wrote:
Tip: don't go past 12 o'Clock on the gain, use it for crunch and boost, not for saturation.[/quote]

Yep that's right. It is not a "turn it all the way up" pedal at all. In fact it sucks for that. It's a really nice light drive - does that beautifully. Took me a long time to really get the hang of it but now I like it better than anything else I've tried for that thing.