Gear Aquisition Syndrome is a serious disorder.... FX etc

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Karlmalised
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Advice on building a pedal board

Post by Karlmalised »

Looking at building a pedal board (for the sake of saving money and having something totally unique) and would love any advice any one might have. Dimensions will probably need to be at least 11"x18" maybe 3 or 4" high (as i want to stash power supply under). My dad will be helping out as he has all the skills and knowledge to actually make it decent haha.

Basically my inspiration will be http://www.salvagecustom.com. Check out some of their boards, they look amazing.

Any advice/ideas suggestions would be great :D

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7822 times
Been liked: 4224 times

Re: Advice on building a pedal board

Post by jeremyb »

Copy the pedal train design, they're really well thought out, however I reckon for the price they are secondhand you are better off buying one ;)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 235 times

Post by Delayman »

Not trying to hijack, but I have a pedaltrain frame for sale, and you could use your skills (and Dad's) to make a case for it? See my other post. It's a PT2.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

Karlmalised
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Karlmalised »

I have considered that :( but so much other want for pedals to fill it haha will be keeping an eye out for any good deals on a pt-1 though! How much are you wanting for the frame delay man?

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 235 times

Post by Delayman »

Karlmalised wrote:I have considered that :( but so much other want for pedals to fill it haha will be keeping an eye out for any good deals on a pt-1 though! How much are you wanting for the frame delay man?
Don't know what it's worth by itself, I've asked the Forum for offers to set the value.

But will be definitely under the $85 mark I'm picking.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

i did what JB said and copied the pt design,but split them in half as i dont like having a top/bottom row..too clumsy!had some off cuts lying around and took me about 15 mins to make.hey,they arent pretty but they do the job!

bobiron
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by bobiron »

As long as its made with love, then who cares, its the love that counts...that being able to play I guess.
OMM OM MM OMM MM

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 764 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by Miza »

Karlmalised wrote:Looking at building a pedal board

Basically my inspiration will be http://www.salvagecustom.com. Check out some of their boards, they look amazing.
Cool idea!

Yeah I've been looking at their boards and getting the same inspiration.

I like the idea of making my own, completely custom board out of some nice pieces of native timber.

I'm still trying to decide if I have the woodworking ability to do those lovely dovetail joints or not? :? ...

And I'm not sure about the best way to try and put it in a case? Whether to make the board a part of the case (as in Salvage's design) or make a totally separate case and put the whole thing in.

Keep us up to date on your progress! I expect pictures. :wink:
Nothing to see here.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 662 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Cool shiny pedalboards with nice timber and tolex are cool to look at, but at the end of the day, if you are going to take it out and play with it, simple is fine. There is nothing wrong with a sheet of black plywood with pedals velcroed to it, as long as it fits in a decent case for travel.

I’m very happy with my PT-1, pretty light with an excellent case, not bad for $120

Karlmalised
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Karlmalised »

Im sure it wont be a pretty board to start with, but might just make the basic frame for now and then gradually the nicer details. I definitely dont have the skill for dovetail joints haha, but a couple nails do the trick for me. Im thinking im going to make the top removable to put a power supply in (once i get that far). Im still considering getting a pedal train but I might see how it pans out building one first, and if it doesnt end up well, then dad can use it for firewood and i can buy a pt-1 :D

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 764 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by Miza »

I say give it a go!

Half the fun is in building it!

I love having a project on the go, and as you say, if it fails, chuck it and buy a PT-1. :D
Nothing to see here.

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Post by Ironbird13 »

i'll try and find some pics of during construction of my board / contraption and post em up tonight
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

borge
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by borge »

Karlmalised wrote: Any advice/ideas suggestions would be great :D
Consider:
Weight- can you carry it a couple blocks when you have to? up stairs with you guitar in your other hand? what will it cost if you fly? do you want to awkwardly lift the board out of the case every gig? or just pull off the lid?
Looks- will you cry when gear gets stacked on it? airlines scratch it? someone spills bear on it? it falls out of the back of a van onto gravel?

Do you want something pretty and hard to live with or functional and easy? :D

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3530 times
Been liked: 724 times

Post by Cdog »

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 662 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Great. A whole bunch of work for a pedalboard with no protective case, that is neither as light or as strong as the pedaltrain it is copied off.