Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

stuu
PRS McCarty
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 6 times

Line6 L2M vs L3M

Post by stuu »

Anyone got any first-hand experience with these?

I'd assume that even at louder band volumes they'd both stand up to task (the lesser of the two is 800watts) So is there any reason beyond bragging rights to go for the L3M?

IB:Atomic4lyfe
PlukkyBoy wrote:My ability as a guitar player is easily outstripped by my abilities as a guitar buyer

opsguy
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 422 times
Been liked: 94 times

Re: Line6 L2M vs L3M

Post by opsguy »

I have 2 L2T's. The difference between the M and T is the extra inputs and mixer - output the same.
The 3M/T have an extra speaker in them so I would think they have a slightly fuller sound. Having said that I am really happy with the L2T's - they are much lighter than the L3's and the carry bags they have are great (you have to buy them separately). Would buy again!!

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Post by Lawrence »

They are both loud....I guess it comes down to how extreme and or just plain silly the stage volume is. I cant imagine ever needing more than the L2M for guitar....but I use an L3M since I put kik and bass through it as well - its effectively running as a side fill monitor.
At rehearsal we use 2 x L2Ms on stands for both guitar and vocals. During a song where I use a sub octave up around the middle of the guitar I missed the switch and hit a clean low E chord with the Sub Octave on...nearly gave everybody the runs with how well the L2Ms pushed out the bass....dead clean too.

I run the cabs on the reference setting...Full Range Flat Response.

btw Line 6 like everybody these days is pretty loose with their definition of "Watts". In my old school world the L2M is 400watts.
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

stuu
PRS McCarty

Post by stuu »

400 is still plenty though, right..? Sounds like it.

Given it's all about clean headroom.

Stage volume isn't a problem with my band, but rehearsal volume often is ;)
PlukkyBoy wrote:My ability as a guitar player is easily outstripped by my abilities as a guitar buyer

stuu
PRS McCarty

Post by stuu »

One other question: these are mono, correct? I see from the specs they have an accelerometer sensor and stereo inputs, so just checking that assumption.

Would be a big consideration if either/both became stereo when laid on their sides.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 653 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

I'm pretty sure they are mono but can sum a stereo input so you can use an ipod or such

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4168 times

Post by jeremyb »

Stagesource peoples, is an L2 powerful enough to use as a FRFR speaker and keep up with 20-50W tube amps? Would be for stage volume for front rows at gigs (will be going direct to FOH too) and for PA-less practice... also if you're using a Helix or HD are you using a L6 Link cable from that?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Post by Lawrence »

jeremyb wrote:Stagesource peoples, is an L2 powerful enough to use as a FRFR speaker and keep up with 20-50W tube amps? Would be for stage volume for front rows at gigs (will be going direct to FOH too) and for PA-less practice... also if you're using a Helix or HD are you using a L6 Link cable from that?
Hi Jeremy
I try not to get too gushy about bits of kit but the Line 6 speakers really are good. I cant remember whose tech they borrowed for these but they go loud, are flat, clean and are reliable. They also have the best physical design of anything in this market...from good handles, strong grills to the big rubber buffers at each end and the tilt back legs.... I dont think a single L2M will give you the same air push as a mesa quad driven by a 100 valve head running near full blast...but then, in any real world non stadium gig thats far too much anyway. If you have been gigging with a 1 x 12 cab and a 50watt head then the L2M will easily match it.

I say go for it!
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Lawrence wrote:
jeremyb wrote:Stagesource peoples, is an L2 powerful enough to use as a FRFR speaker and keep up with 20-50W tube amps? Would be for stage volume for front rows at gigs (will be going direct to FOH too) and for PA-less practice... also if you're using a Helix or HD are you using a L6 Link cable from that?
Hi Jeremy
I try not to get too gushy about bits of kit but the Line 6 speakers really are good. I cant remember whose tech they borrowed for these but they go loud, are flat, clean and are reliable. They also have the best physical design of anything in this market...from good handles, strong grills to the big rubber buffers at each end and the tilt back legs.... I dont think a single L2M will give you the same air push as a mesa quad driven by a 100 valve head running near full blast...but then, in any real world non stadium gig thats far too much anyway. If you have been gigging with a 1 x 12 cab and a 50watt head then the L2M will easily match it.

I say go for it!
Awesome, thanks Lawrence, appreciate the feedback!

I believe they own Yamaha or something? yeah, only being using a 20W tube head and 1 x 12, band mate has same but with 2 x 12, I'm thinking I'll buy the L2T as I may have use for the mixer later on down the track :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

jeremyb wrote: Awesome, thanks Lawrence, appreciate the feedback!

I believe they own Yamaha or something? yeah, only being using a 20W tube head and 1 x 12, band mate has same but with 2 x 12, I'm thinking I'll buy the L2T as I may have use for the mixer later on down the track :)
Yamaha own them, haha.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

KentNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by KentNZ »

Kinda interested in this because I'm wondering what to do in terms of small PA/monitoring/stereo +guitar sound source.

I was wondering about either some great powered monitors (QSC K10s or similar) or dropping the budget a bit and trying for some of the newer things like the Bose units, or the Mackie Reach. I really want stereo spread, but decent full range. Not sure the Reach will do the lows of the backing tracks or keys.

Then there's the step up to the Line 6 ones, but why not just get the 'purposes built PA' tried and true QSC's then?
Larrivee 00 Acoustic. FAV Strat for electric. Ibanez SDGR5 for bass. Push for Ableton. When not doing that, 3D CAD for tunnels...

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

KentNZ wrote:Kinda interested in this because I'm wondering what to do in terms of small PA/monitoring/stereo +guitar sound source.

I was wondering about either some great powered monitors (QSC K10s or similar) or dropping the budget a bit and trying for some of the newer things like the Bose units, or the Mackie Reach. I really want stereo spread, but decent full range. Not sure the Reach will do the lows of the backing tracks or keys.

Then there's the step up to the Line 6 ones, but why not just get the 'purposes built PA' tried and true QSC's then?
From my reading of stuff for FRFR uses, theres a bit of a hierachy in terms of sound quality, but not all of them are truly FRFR, theres some colouring, so it kind of comes down to what sound you like, some of the 12" stuff can sound boomy in the lows, some are preferring 10" speakers because of this, when I was looking for me it seemed to be: EV ELX112P & QSC K12 were around the same level, but some preferred one over the other, but the Yamaha DXR and then DSR stuff beat them both.

The stagesource stuff seems to sit around the EV/QSC level, but practicality for me trumps them all :)

KentNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by KentNZ »

What's the practicality that trumps it?
Larrivee 00 Acoustic. FAV Strat for electric. Ibanez SDGR5 for bass. Push for Ableton. When not doing that, 3D CAD for tunnels...

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

KentNZ wrote:What's the practicality that trumps it?
The design and construction seem better, but for me it's the Line6 link, I can use one cable to go from the HD500X to the speaker and then from that speaker I can use the same protocol to connect to others if I get them, seems pretty cool!

KentNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by KentNZ »

Nice.