ALTOIDS
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 21 times

It's NZ Music Month :)

Post by ALTOIDS »

Most of the music shops have special deals for music month. Let's share the must buy deals here...
Cure for GAS :twisted:
Curiously strong mints.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7909 times
Been liked: 4258 times

Re: It's NZ Music Month :)

Post by jeremyb »

Cure or encouragement?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

ALTOIDS wrote:Most of the music shops have special deals for music month. Let's share the must buy deals here...
http://www.rockshop.co.nz/news/rockshop-news/

Win a bluetooth speaker?

http://www.musicworks.co.nz/

Nothing?

http://www.musicplanet.co.nz/blog/musicmonth2016-page/

"Up to 50% off"

Right. I searched all the SD pickups for the 50% off one during the previous special and it was for a 7 string PAF.

Fool me once. I'm not going through the entire stock list to find the single 50% off item this time.

ALTOIDS
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by ALTOIDS »

JHorner wrote:
ALTOIDS wrote:Most of the music shops have special deals for music month. Let's share the must buy deals here...
http://www.rockshop.co.nz/news/rockshop-news/

Win a bluetooth speaker?

http://www.musicworks.co.nz/

Nothing?

http://www.musicplanet.co.nz/blog/musicmonth2016-page/

"Up to 50% off"

Right. I searched all the SD pickups for the 50% off one during the previous special and it was for a 7 string PAF.

Fool me once. I'm not going through the entire stock list to find the single 50% off item this time.
Music Planet had pretty good deals on Vox amps last year, looks pretty shit this time around. :(
Curiously strong mints.

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 600 times
Been liked: 464 times

Post by werdna »

These are NZ music stores - don't hold your breath for a decent bargain.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 867 times
Been liked: 276 times

Post by calling card »

Note to self - make some fucking music
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

stuu
PRS McCarty
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by stuu »

Is NZ music month still a thing? The only people I hear mention it are grass-roots local bands shouting into the social media void. I think the radio stations have largely dropped any actual involvement, with the exception of random prompted lipservice.

Much like how radio stations have largely dropped any actual local content rotation not being driven by labels. I think we've come full circle.

Some might argue that The Rock does the Music Lab surveys, and when i see my friends bands get on them i go and willingly participate and show my support for them... I can't help but feel like i'm pissing into the wind by doing this and it's an "engagement scheme" to trick the public that the station is listening to demand.

YMMV, purely opinion, someone in the industry will know better and correct me but this is how i see it. Seether and Three Doors Down might be what people actually want and i'm just too blind to see it.
PlukkyBoy wrote:My ability as a guitar player is easily outstripped by my abilities as a guitar buyer

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3992 times

Post by Bg »

yep have seen very little press for it this year, its definitely dwindling, perhaps no-one cares any more.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7909 times
Been liked: 4258 times

Post by jeremyb »

Are Hallensteins even doing the t-shirts this year?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

Did its job back in the day (read: a decade ago), but it has been kinda pointless for the 2010s. We're playing a gig as part of NZ Music Month, but to be honest I think we're invited just to prove NZ still has bands floating round. 6 songs, 25 mins, clear off.
Probably 7 people in the audience (thanks for coming, Mum!).

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

null_pointer wrote:Did its job back in the day (read: a decade ago), but it has been kinda pointless for the 2010s. We're playing a gig as part of NZ Music Month, but to be honest I think we're invited just to prove NZ still has bands floating round. 6 songs, 25 mins, clear off.
Holy trout, so actually only 6 people that are there of their own accord :?

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by null_pointer »

Frey wrote:
null_pointer wrote:Did its job back in the day (read: a decade ago), but it has been kinda pointless for the 2010s. We're playing a gig as part of NZ Music Month, but to be honest I think we're invited just to prove NZ still has bands floating round. 6 songs, 25 mins, clear off.
I guess there's a lesson there in making music with a broader appeal.
The gig I'm going to tomorrow (doprah+yumi zouma) has at least 250 and definitely more going to it.
I guess nz bands just have to suck less.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and pick you're not meaning to diss any band who doesn't show up with 250 fans, cause that's how your sentence above presents. Just to disabuse your reality, NZ is a tiny market, and so if you're a small genre at all the turnout will be small. I've been to a Die Die Die gig with less than 20 people, and I'm pretty sure they're trying not to suck so much. I've seen Shihad post-Killjoy with 30 people, and they were trying to suck less too.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

stuu wrote:Is NZ music month still a thing? The only people I hear mention it are grass-roots local bands shouting into the social media void. I think the radio stations have largely dropped any actual involvement, with the exception of random prompted lipservice.
On the non-rock side, there's a bit of a thing where cafe owners see NZ Music Month as a way to put on bands as background music and come across as "alternative". It's kind of bullshit though. Last time I bothered, I was asked to play outside, in a drizzle. So no audience. And they didn't even bother to turn their oh-so-alternative Bob Marley CD down. they did that as an afterthought. Talk about giving a fuck.

It was the 2nd shittiest gig I have ever played.

But they all went home and jerked themselves off about being part of NZ Music Month.

So, no thanks.

People should make NZMM *every* month, instead of expecting that NZ Music will get along fine for eleven months until you get your chance to pay lip-service to it. Because if it works the rest of the eleven months, what's the point of NZMM? Either that or admit that you don't give a flying fuck about NZ Music and are just paying lip-service to it. Which would be shitty, but way more honest.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

Frey wrote:What was the 1st?
LOL my first gig, where we were a punk band playing a panel beater's christmas party. We were really shit and everybody left the room.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by null_pointer »

I remember playing one gig which was going swimmingly until someone bottled a guy in the front. Both had lots of mates, went downhill from there.
At least nothing got smashed on stage, but it took 20 mins with a broom before we could cross the bar to the door...