The causes of GAS and how to prevent them.

Gear Aquisition Syndrome is a serious disorder.... FX etc

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 973 times
Been liked: 876 times

Re: The causes of GAS and how to prevent them.

Post by Olderama »

Reg18 wrote:The actual answer is really very simply, get an average job making the average NZ wage then add a mortgage and a few kids.....BAM!!! gas cured!
lol the complete opposite there then
:mental:

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Post by Molly »

HackSaw wrote:Cause of GAS: Molly's R9

Prevention of GAS: The price of Molly's R9
Free shipping? :-)

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 807 times

Post by hamo »

Too busy for GAS right now, with work, kids, trying to build a house, trying to unpack all the shite we have into this temporary rental etc etc.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Olderama »

hamo wrote:Too busy for GAS right now, with work, kids, trying to build a house, trying to unpack all the shite we have into this temporary rental etc etc.
Yeah yeah yeah Yadda Yadda Yadda :)

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Post by Molly »

hamo wrote:Too busy for GAS right now, with work, kids, trying to build a house, trying to unpack all the shite we have into this temporary rental etc etc.
Don't bother unpacking. Just see how little you can get by with and bin the rest. We still have stuff in boxes from three houses ago. If we had the time we'd throw it all away.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by hamo »

Olderama wrote:
Seriously, the idea of devoting any mental energy to trying to come up with a way to get more gear just makes me feel tired. My gear isn't even in the house, it's all at my parents' place still. I bought a HoF off Scooter last month and I haven't even used it yet.
Molly wrote:
Don't bother unpacking. Just see how little you can get by with and bin the rest. We still have stuff in boxes from three houses ago. If we had the time we'd throw it all away.
We are doing this to some extent. Have out as much as we need, and also trying to go through a box a week from the stuff out the back (y'know, the boxes marked things like "miscellaneous" or "random crap") to get rid of stuff that we don't need. Hopefully by the time we can get a house built, we'll have downsized majorly.

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Olderama »

hamo wrote:
Olderama wrote:
Seriously, the idea of devoting any mental energy to trying to come up with a way to get more gear just makes me feel tired. My gear isn't even in the house, it's all at my parents' place still. I bought a HoF off Scooter last month and I haven't even used it yet.
Molly wrote:
We are doing this to some extent. Have out as much as we need, and also trying to go through a box a week from the stuff out the back (y'know, the boxes marked things like "miscellaneous" or "random crap") to get rid of stuff that we don't need. Hopefully by the time we can get a house built, we'll have downsized majorly.
I suppose the longer away from your gear the sweeter it will be when it eventually gets fired up
Hold onto that thought mate :)

higainer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by higainer »

Best thing to prevent GAS for new stuff is to stay off the internet.
Then I would only have one amp, 2 guitars & a FAR healthier bank balance.

But hey, it's my hobby and much cheaper than modifying cars etc.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 863 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Going back to Matt's original post, I think you could easily do an experiment...stop looking at gear to buy for a month, and see if that helps you feel more settled and engaged with the gear you have. I do this occasionally and I find it helps.

"Comparison is the thief of joy" - Rumi

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by hamo »

Olderama wrote:I suppose the longer away from your gear the sweeter it will be when it eventually gets fired up
Hold onto that thought mate :)
Definitely feel like this will be the case. Will be like a new everything day getting it all back. :thumbup:

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 857 times
Been liked: 276 times

Post by calling card »

It's the thrill of the chase, a tonal sample of the unsampled... in your hands, not a sound bite. Old school amplifiers are nasty, mean & beautiful, like real life. But I still sound like me...
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

olegmcnoleg wrote:Going back to Matt's original post, I think you could easily do an experiment...stop looking at gear to buy for a month, and see if that helps you feel more settled and engaged with the gear you have. I do this occasionally and I find it helps.
I've seen your music room - it hasn't helped that much! :wink:
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 863 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Conway wrote:
olegmcnoleg wrote:Going back to Matt's original post, I think you could easily do an experiment...stop looking at gear to buy for a month, and see if that helps you feel more settled and engaged with the gear you have. I do this occasionally and I find it helps.
I've seen your music room - it hasn't helped that much! :wink:
Well, that is fair enough. But I don't have a high turnover, and I do plan for stuff I actually want, rather than get swept along by what I see on TM--

except for when I don't ;-)

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

I have the opposite problem I just don't have GAS, which I find somewhat annoying. Annoying because if I did, I'd have more to talk about here. I also feel a bit odd, not wanting anything. I've always liked buying stuff (whatever stuff) with lots of aftermarket accessories. But my bass does exactly what I want it to do, in my very idiosyncratic field and the few FX I have are all good for what I want so, you know... Going to NY and not finding anything genuinely interesting to me was a sort of sign from On High.

There are things I would like, such as a tap tempo delay, but it's not urgent or anything.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 857 times
Been liked: 276 times

Post by calling card »

Me too at the moment, no disposable income. Was thinking the other day while buying parts for my car at Repco - always a hundred dollar visit. No mods, just keeping em alive.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus