MattAnt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 113 times

AX8 vs Helix - from a modeller newbie

Post by MattAnt »

So a long time tube fanboy, I have been lured into the all in one floor modeller. I have previously tried an Axe FX II, Kemper, and a Torpedo Live. They all moved on, granted I did not give them the time to have a fighting chance.

The convenience of the Helix however, is too tempting for me not to at least try. I have told myself to give it a much more thorough and fair go this time, so have bought an Atomic CLR for monitoring, and a 3 month minimum ownership period to really bash it out. Coincidentally, a friend was selling an AX8 so picked that up as well so I could see which was better.

I spent about 3 hours with them both last night (not that long I know), and thought I would give a first impression.

The Helix UI absolutely smokes the AX8. I know I will probably get a lot of "you just need to learn how to use it", "it gets easier", etc etc. This is all probably true, but you cannot deny that the Helix is easier to use. It is a breeze to set up, is very flexible, and as a result I was able to get to decent tones faster than I was on the AX8. I am very comfortable with amps and tech, but for someone that wasn't, I would tell them to steer clear of Axe.

I was surprised that I could get some decent tones out of the Helix. I am a pretty clean player and could actually get some really nice clean tone going. The AX8 didn't have as nice clean tones off the bat. I don't doubt they are there, but work is needed to find them.

I didn't have much time to dive into effects, but it is easy to see that the AX8 effects are better than the Helix. They are more mature, there are more of them. I am hoping the Helix effects (especially reverb) get better with updates. The drives need a bit of work too.

That's really all I have for now. Will need to spend way more time with them (which I unfortunately don't have), but I do think the tones are in there if I am willing to put the work in. Would be great to take a whole Saturday in our auditorium tweaking through FOH.

Let me know if you want first dibs on the AX8, my gut is I will sell it. Heck make a good enough offer and I might sell it right away.

Cheers
Matt
Scarecrow101 on TradeMe

xCaptainx
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 52 times

Re: AX8 vs Helix - from a modeller newbie

Post by xCaptainx »

Cool insights. I always felt very comfortable with HD500 user interface and battled the Axe FX 2. No suprise to hear that the helix and the ax8 are the same.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

All editing for Fractal gear needs to happen on the computer, otherwise you'll throw it out the window in about 5 mins.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

slash-ed wrote:All editing for Fractal gear needs to happen on the computer, otherwise you'll throw it out the window in about 5 mins.
Thats a bit of a killer for me, even the HD500 is easy to edit on the fly at a gig or practice if needs be, don't want to have to lug a laptop around with all my other gear!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

bluesierra
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by bluesierra »

slash-ed wrote:All editing for Fractal gear needs to happen on the computer, otherwise you'll throw it out the window in about 5 mins.
Agreed. Coming from the Kemper I find the Axe Edit software really easy and intuitive.

MattAnt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MattAnt »

I was using the editor. Found its navigation pretty unintuitive and quite slow and changing presets and the like.

Helix had much better onscreen preset management/lists.

On the unit, the AX8 is better than the FXII, but still nothing on the Helix. Their big screen and scribble strips really are pretty phenomenal.
Scarecrow101 on TradeMe

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 739 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

Bah, I'd love an AX-8.

I'd even pay 60% retail.

MattAnt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MattAnt »

Zaulkin wrote:Bah, I'd love an AX-8.

I'd even pay 60% retail.
Sorry mate, 60% of retail aint gonna get me much KFC
Scarecrow101 on TradeMe

shafter
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

Post by shafter »

61% and some chups.. :-)
Stress... when you wake up screaming and realise you haven't been asleep yet!!

MattAnt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MattAnt »

Potato and gravy?
Scarecrow101 on TradeMe

MattAnt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MattAnt »

Oh and a Krusher!
Scarecrow101 on TradeMe

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

I'm expecting a 3 way on any sale with you Matt!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

MattAnt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MattAnt »

jeremyb wrote:I'm expecting a 3 way on any sale with you Matt!
Scarecrow101 on TradeMe