handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Re: Are we being fooled by Gear Demos?

Post by handsoffmatt »

In my opinion, gear demos videos have extremely limited usefulness. They give you a broad brush stroke idea of what something sounds like, but you really cannot properly judge something until you've heard it in real life, being played by your hands and (ideally) tried it with your gear.
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

I enjoy watching the demos but if I'm serious about buying something that I can't play locally before purchasing I'll try and find an iPhone recorded type demo. It doesn't sound as good generally good but I know the iPhone well enough for it to be a perfect common reference point for me to compare with. I can get a much better idea of what it sounds like with those demos than a Proguitarshop demo.

MattAnt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by MattAnt »

HackSaw wrote:I pretty much only watch the proguitarshop demos, but only because I enjoy Andy's playing. Every now and then one of the demos will convince me to buy a pedal though, like the recent carcosa fuzz. Which by the way, is a fucking instant classic. Killer fuzz!
Andy's demos are great, but they are also kind of the worst. He is a monster player and gets a unique tone from not using a pick. Because of this, he makes most drives sound like Andy....

Pete Thorn is one of my favourites. Yes he is a monster, but I do feel like he lets the guitar/amp/pedal shine through.
Scarecrow101 on TradeMe

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 634 times
Been liked: 804 times

Post by hamo »

MattAnt wrote:
HackSaw wrote:I pretty much only watch the proguitarshop demos, but only because I enjoy Andy's playing. Every now and then one of the demos will convince me to buy a pedal though, like the recent carcosa fuzz. Which by the way, is a fucking instant classic. Killer fuzz!
Andy's demos are great, but they are also kind of the worst. He is a monster player and gets a unique tone from not using a pick. Because of this, he makes most drives sound like Andy....

Pete Thorn is one of my favourites. Yes he is a monster, but I do feel like he lets the guitar/amp/pedal shine through.
Funny timing reading this post after coming from looking at Andy demoing /13 amps. Just some monstrously good fingerpicking action. Following this up by watching Pete Thorn Suhr demo. Spooky. Or not. :mrgreen:
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster