Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 663 times

Re: Is GAS over for me?

Post by Danger Mouse »

JHorner wrote:
Bg wrote:never sounds good when I play it ;)

No wonder.
Oooo where can I get one of those?
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 806 times

Post by hamo »

Bg wrote:Gas is inversely proportionate to disposable income. Look at Hamo and his Gas.
Unobtanium factor for sure. On top of that, I have a ridiculous need to collect sets. Guitars are a set: strat, tele, LP, hollow, explorer, V, pointy, SG. Then each of those has a set, whether it's years of LP, pickup configuration of superstrat, or colour of Setzer Hot Rod Gretsch. These are the rabbit holes.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

hamo wrote:
Bg wrote:Gas is inversely proportionate to disposable income. Look at Hamo and his Gas.
Unobtanium factor for sure. On top of that, I have a ridiculous need to collect sets. Guitars are a set: strat, tele, LP, hollow, explorer, V, pointy, SG. Then each of those has a set, whether it's years of LP, pickup configuration of superstrat, or colour of Setzer Hot Rod Gretsch. These are the rabbit holes.
Did I read that wrong or do you have about 20 guitars?

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1209 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Wants 20 guitars, doesn't have 20 guitars.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 806 times

Post by hamo »

JHorner wrote:
hamo wrote:
Did I read that wrong or do you have about 20 guitars?
You read it wrong, substitute "want" for "have" and you're there. :wink:
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Okay, I found some stats haha. Dug through my old photo archives from when I still bothered to keep score.

It appears that I've owned approximately 160 guitars in the last 12-13 years. This doesn't count review guitars either.

So hey, maybe it IS about time to just sit back and enjoy what I have. Maybe I'll finally become a good guitar player :lol:
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

I'm pretty much in the same space Ed, it's quite nice.
Although I'm in a bit of a creative lull atm, have written one new full song in about 7 months.
Just got engaged and starting a new job soon, so a lot of big changes but when I settle in I'll get back into it.

Wait I lie, I'm getting one more bit of gear. I'm using my leftover accrued leave to buy a Supro Black Magick when I leave my current job haha
but that's just cause it's basically free money and I figure I need a combo anyway (actually do as I currently only have 4x12s and 100W heads)

EDIT:
Also I think what others have said about you reviewing and having access to gear diminishing GAS resonates with some truth too. I found over the past 3-4 years working MI retail you get kinda bored with stuff. "oh aNOTHER reverb pedal, yay... Oh a new type of Strat with some stupid fucking pickup configuration nobody ever asked for" so maybe stepping back from that I may find GAS returning a lot haha.

Herein lies the problem, more disposable income at new job, no staff discount at music store... will I end up with less money hahaha
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 973 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

slash-ed wrote:Okay, I found some stats haha. Dug through my old photo archives from when I still bothered to keep score.

It appears that I've owned approximately 160 guitars in the last 12-13 years. This doesn't count review guitars either.

So hey, maybe it IS about time to just sit back and enjoy what I have. Maybe I'll finally become a good guitar player :lol:
That's comforting to know I have another 130 ish to go :)
:mental:

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2483 times

Post by Slowy »

I find some limitations in life to be a positive thing. There's so many things to be an obsessive cork sniffer about if I allowed myself. But there are finite resources and some expensive activities to share them amongst.
So with coffee, I drink Nescafe and bloody well like it ( :eh: ). Saves heaps of cash and energy.
Used to chase fine wines but am now content under $20; way under where possible.
My guitar gear does exactly what I want and I no longer worry about the logo on the headstock. The current Humbuggy search is just for a different flavour, my birthday's coming up and I've had a good year.

Sounds terribly tree huggy but I have come to appreciate what I have and feel genuinely grateful for having it. It's a very pleasant state of mind. :D
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 283 times

Post by Kev77 »

I played this '54 gold top yesterday. It was nice, but I certainly didn't hunghhhh on it

And this '54 Tele. It was cool, but not the grail I was anticipating
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 862 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Kev77 wrote:I played this '54 gold top yesterday. It was nice, but I certainly didn't hunghhhh on it

And this '54 Tele. It was cool, but not the grail I was anticipating
I'd say you have achieved Zen-like levels of gaslessness in that case. Kudos!

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 655 times
Been liked: 561 times

Post by TmcB »

I think that once you reach a certain quality of guitar/amp/pedal you stop stepping up and start stepping sideways. At this point you've maxed out the playability or in other terms the amount you can get the instrument out of your way (by that I mean a nice neck that suits you, nice pickups, an amp sound that makes you happy when you play it, things that would distract you if they were sub par).

You're left with what your hands can *actually* do.
Usually this is when we're faced with the ugly truth of where our playing is really at and start trying to find different tones to inspire us to "git gud." I think we're mostly bored though and really we need to set some decent goals. The reason gas tends to disappear when you're in a band is that you have a focus on the playing and any gear acquisition is purposed to make the band situation better in some way. Without a goal we usually will put the cart before the horse.
Last edited by TmcB on Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

TmcB wrote:I think that once you reach a certain quality of guitar/amp/pedal you stop stepping up and start stepping sideways. At this point you've maxed out the playability or in other terms the amount you can get the instrument out of your way (by that I mean a nice neck that suits you, nice pickups, an amp sound that makes you happy when you play it, things that would distract you if they were sub par).

You're left with what your hands can *actually* do.
Usually this is when we're faced with the ugly truth of where our playing is really at and start trying to find different tones to inspire us to "git gud." I think we're mostly bored though
3 delays and a BigSky will cover that deficiency right up!

So will 3 fuzzes...

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 655 times
Been liked: 561 times

Post by TmcB »

That's why I love fuzz, reverb, and delay the most :D
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 283 times

Post by Kev77 »

TmcB wrote:That's why I love fuzz, reverb, and delay the most :D
This
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius