Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 36 times

Re: Is GAS over for me?

Post by snitchez »

druz15 wrote:
slash-ed wrote:
Yeah this sounds pretty much bang on, especially the second part.

Also, I've done a lot of the cool stuff that I wanted to do - played lots of cool gear, went to a couple of NAMM shows, met some of my heroes. Maybe it's time for a new outlet for the musical stuff.

Oh man so you're leaving Cranbourne Music? Where are you off to now?
Yeah got another two weeks to go, then I'm starting a new job with Coffee Supreme as an Espresso Machine Technician, travelling all around Victoria fixing customers machines/grinders etc. No experience so will be a trial by fire / learn as you go kind of thing haha.

was looking for ya last weekend (or the weekend before that) ! i guess you will be seeing too much of victoria soon. i'll send ya some driving tips soon. especially with the roos.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

JHorner wrote:
slash-ed wrote:It's a bit worrisome... ...I almost feel like I can just leave the gear stuff completely and just concentrate on actually being a better player, for once.

Has this happened to you? Should I see a doctor?
"should I see a doctor"

I thought maybe you were joking. But with the ongoing thread, you seem serious.

I don't think you need to worry, when you're on the road you just want to keep moving, and when you arrive at your destination you miss the road. Perfectly natural.
Yeah. I am giving this some pretty serious thought, not so much about only just the lack of GAS, but the fact that this whole trend seems to be generally leading me towards the end of the Six-String Samurai website and review thing, which obviously makes me a bit sad seeing as I've worked on it for so many years.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

I'm not really qualified to answer your question. I don't even know what your shoes look like, I've definitely never stood in them.

Have you thought of contacting the guys that do reviews for mags like Guitar Player to ask how they keep going? Year after year after year. I read a review in Bass Player once that literally started off with "Here, once again, are some fancy jazz basses" you could feel the boredom through the page. Their writers obviously go through that feeling. "Wow, another tele copy, yee effing har"

Maybe if you contact them, they can tell you more about what motivates them and maybe it'd even be good for your own networking. I suppose the problem is common to mags of all genres. Cars, bikes, whatevers.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Well... they get paid to do it for 8 hours a day, haha. I don't think I'd have an issue with that, but more so that my motivation/drive to do it in my own free time seems to be waning.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

During my last year in a working, full-time band I decided I needed something that was just for me and nothing to do with music. For a couple of years there followed a time of intense interest in Harleys and the mechanics therein. Not the tacky flash of the mid-life crisis but the oil, spanners and technical literature of engine work and modification. Throughout I kept the same guitar gear and still played but the bikes were my main thing.

Looking back it was healthy to broaden my mind and I didn't ever worry about it. I knew guitar as a career option wasn't going anywhere so opening up my mind to other stuff made sense.

In short, find something else and enjoy it.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Molly wrote:
Spent a couple of hours this morning writing a new tune, switched off my amp thinking how superb everything sounded, went out and blew the cost of a new Epiphone on bike tyres and replacement riding gear for the big adventure this week.
Lives a balanced life, I does. :lol:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

Fortunately for me my other primary interest doesn't really cost money (at least not since I gave up the sports aspect). On the down side, MA does involve getting punched in the face occasionally...

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

null_pointer wrote:Fortunately for me my other primary interest doesn't really cost money (at least not since I gave up the sports aspect). On the down side, MA does involve getting punched in the face occasionally...

Oh fun, another martial arts guy :) I really need to sort this hip out and get back to training :(

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by null_pointer »

sirvill wrote:
null_pointer wrote:Fortunately for me my other primary interest doesn't really cost money (at least not since I gave up the sports aspect). On the down side, MA does involve getting punched in the face occasionally...

Oh fun, another martial arts guy :) I really need to sort this hip out and get back to training :(
Hah I'm left shoulder, lower back injured almost perpetually so I just soldier through these days. Old age and all that.
What are you involved in?

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

null_pointer wrote:
sirvill wrote:

Hah I'm left shoulder, lower back injured almost perpetually so I just soldier through these days. Old age and all that.
What are you involved in?
Been doing MA for a while, but for the last 5ish years of MMA, blue belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, etc.

And yeah both my shoulders are in "work-around" mode but ah well :D

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by null_pointer »

Nice. Long involvement with TKD myself, but stopped after 7 years as an instructor in 2011. I started Kuntao and Penjak Silat in 2006, and that has really become my main focus. Never did end up completing 4th Dan which had kinda been a goal in TKD but I realised by 2010 I had lost interest in the competitive side of things and there wasn't any reason to rank any further in a system I wasn't going to stay attached to. Bit hard to part with something I'd been involved with since I was 8 but the world didn't stop for them or me. Funny the last two Olympics watching guys from my school there and not really having anything to do with them anymore apart from as a spectator but that's how all sports go. Kuntao Silat for me is a lot more 'lifetime' involvement as it just goes with you and adapts to your age and mobility. Having said that without my MA foundation I might not have recognised what it was and passed it by. I think the competition thing kinda needed to be out of my system before the pure fighting art systems become more attractive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Only if you fail to block.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by null_pointer »

Slowy wrote:
Only if you fail to block.
Heh sometimes collateral damage is part of the intent. Or you're working on stuff like folding from a punch to an elbow, and the other guy over-commits. Short story is you take hits despite your best intentions sometimes :p
It's the joint damage from hyper-extension etc that is the main issue, the odd bopped nose or lip buffs right out (mostly)...

mttn3
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by mttn3 »

Slowy wrote:
Molly wrote:
Spent a couple of hours this morning writing a new tune, switched off my amp thinking how superb everything sounded, went out and blew the cost of a new Epiphone on bike tyres and replacement riding gear for the big adventure this week.
Lives a balanced life, I does. :lol:
Ahhh I can't bear to look at the price of gear in local bike shops! If you know what you want and are prepared to wait for specials, it's half the price to get your gear from international sites. Buying clothes is tricky and you can get the sizes wrong, but bike tyres and parts are all good.

I know that's killing local retailers and GST-dodging and all that, but money is important and when I walk up to the tyres and see them priced higher than the cost of car tyres I'm like "pfffft, thanks but no thanks."

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

Molly wrote:During my last year in a working, full-time band I decided I needed something that was just for me and nothing to do with music. For a couple of years there followed a time of intense interest in Harleys and the mechanics therein. Not the tacky flash of the mid-life crisis but the oil, spanners and technical literature of engine work and modification. Throughout I kept the same guitar gear and still played but the bikes were my main thing.

Looking back it was healthy to broaden my mind and I didn't ever worry about it. I knew guitar as a career option wasn't going anywhere so opening up my mind to other stuff made sense.

Have you thought about turning that into a late life career change?
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster