sopachrga
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 59 times

Re: NAD Laney IRT-Studio

Post by sopachrga »

The one thing I did find, is the direct out sounds better if you have a cab attached.
I know that sounds silly, and defeats the purpose, but it does change the direct out sound for the better.

Cut's down the bright fizziness.
Ummm....

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

sopachrga wrote:The one thing I did find, is the direct out sounds better if you have a cab attached.
I know that sounds silly, and defeats the purpose, but it does change the direct out sound for the better.

Wow, that's a bit annoying in a way, definitely defeats the purpose of quieter/silent home operation. I've managed to reduce the fizziness with a bit of creative EQ-ing, but can do with a tad more. So far the boosted clean channel sounds quite nice to me, I don't often play very high gain stuff.

I followed Matt's suggestion and checked out Jack Thammarat's video and that EQ was a great starting point for me. So far this is a ridiculously versatile amp, especially for guitar-cord-amp setup!

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Mattallica »

Have you tried the USB out instead of the DI?

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

Mattallica wrote:Have you tried the USB out instead of the DI?
No I have not. XLR is more convenient for me right now.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

sopachrga wrote:The one thing I did find, is the direct out sounds better if you have a cab attached.

Speaking of cabs, do you still have your DIY iso cab? If so, how well does it perform if cutting down noise?

sopachrga
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by sopachrga »

codedog wrote:

Speaking of cabs, do you still have your DIY iso cab? If so, how well does it perform if cutting down noise?

Hey. No, I got rid of it.
I tried a few different ideas. I built a massive box out of 18mm mdf and put a 1X12 in it and filled it with sound deadener. It worked alright, but you still get a lot of sound due to the ground contact. So you'd want to place it on some thick rubber.
Then I bought a Rivera Silent Sister Iso cab. This was also ok, but not really that quiet.

They are both still too noisy ultimately.

I gave up when I got an artist relation deal for Fractal and bought an AxeFx and I've never been happier with my recorded tone.
Ummm....

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

sopachrga wrote:
codedog wrote:

Hey. No, I got rid of it.
I tried a few different ideas. I built a massive box out of 18mm mdf and put a 1X12 in it and filled it with sound deadener. It worked alright, but you still get a lot of sound due to the ground contact. So you'd want to place it on some thick rubber.
Then I bought a Rivera Silent Sister Iso cab. This was also ok, but not really that quiet.

They are both still too noisy ultimately.

I gave up when I got an artist relation deal for Fractal and bought an AxeFx and I've never been happier with my recorded tone.
Agreed re Silent Sister. I have it in my wardrobe, and while it does tame things substantially it still rumbles on the concrete pad when giving it the beans with a big amp. Fine with my 5 watt practice amp fully tapped out though.
Actually I need the drobe real estate and really hankering going silent so put my SS back on tardme, much cheaper for users here thou.
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..