Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Re: Get your GAS now, Rosewood restrictions from 2nd Jan

Post by willow13 »

jeremyb wrote:I doubt anyone is going to stop people taking personal guitars with them overseas, imagine how many touring artists this would affect!
ticket prices will just be going up mate
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

telefiend wrote:I'm sure we can handle a little richlite on our guitars to help slow down deforestation. Things don't last forever.
This.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Yet some USA are like "f@ck that, when do you want it son?"...
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

I blame all of you guys for this....guitars should have maple fretboards :mad:

:moresarc: :moresarc:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

I want an aluminium neck, with a bottle opener in the headstock ala Rick Toone :mrgreen:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

telefiend wrote:I'm sure we can handle a little richlite on our guitars to help slow down deforestation. Things don't last forever.
Naaa. A crop is a crop be it trees or beans. If it's grown for the purpose then that's all groovy. Maybe we should plant a tree for every guitar we own. ;-) Each new Les Paul could come with a packet of seeds. :thumbup:

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Post by Lawrence »

Molly wrote:
Naaa. A crop is a crop be it trees or beans. If it's grown for the purpose then that's all groovy. Maybe we should plant a tree for every guitar we own. ;-) Each new Les Paul could come with a packet of seeds. :thumbup:
while your opening statement may be debatable, the seeds idea actually might have some merit....(yes closet greeny here)
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Lawrence wrote:
while your opening statement may be debatable, the seeds idea actually might have some merit....(yes closet greeny here)
I was being kind of flippant I suppose. Watched a doco on a house build using oak. The guy explained that the harvested trees thinned the forest to the benefit of surrounding ones. I think he felt the point had to be made or there would be a rush of complaints about hacking down these beautiful trees so someone could have a million dollar house.

Anyway, perhaps similarly, my assumption is that ethical companies like Taylor (well, they seem to be an ethical company) seek to replenish the wood their using and accordingly it's perfectly OK to harvest trees. Truthfully though, I've no f'kin' idea what the balance is considering how many guitars are built around the world every day.

I do think composite materials would have their own green cost too though. Not as simple as saying it's not actual wood so it's OK.

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Post by Lawrence »

Molly wrote:
Lawrence wrote:
I was being kind of flippant I suppose. Watched a doco on a house build using oak. The guy explained that the harvested trees thinned the forest to the benefit of surrounding ones. I think he felt the point had to be made or there would be a rush of complaints about hacking down these beautiful trees so someone could have a million dollar house.

Anyway, perhaps similarly, my assumption is that ethical companies like Taylor (well, they seem to be an ethical company) seek to replenish the wood their using and accordingly it's perfectly OK to harvest trees. Truthfully though, I've no f'kin' idea what the balance is considering how many guitars are built around the world every day.

I do think composite materials would have their own green cost too though. Not as simple as saying it's not actual wood so it's OK.
One complexity is that purpose planted forests become Monocologies....a single species without the diversity of natural forest. New Zealand Pine forests are a great example. Im sure there is better practice in some places but hardwood trees grow slowly...

I saw a fantastic doco years ago about rebuilding one of the English castles after a fire (Windsor house?)..anyway, it tuns out that while the forest around it was protected there was one grove of Oaks planted 500 years ago and set aside specifically for upkeep to the castle...all documented etc. It seems that these issues are not new!.
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

I emailed DOC, CITES, MPI, Customs about having my Les Paul shipped here form UK and got this reply:

"Dear <redacted>,

Dalbergia latifolia is listed on Appendix II of CITES. Over 35,000 species are covered by CITES and are listed in three different 'Appendices', depending on their conservation status and how much they are traded. Permit requirements are different for each Appendix.

Some species listed on CITES have an Annotation which specifies the ‘form’ for which CITES permitting applies. For Dalbergia latifolia, non-commercial exports of a maximum total weight of 10 kg per shipment are exempt from CITES permitting.

Although a CITES permit is not required for entry into New Zealand, your instrument may however be inspected on arrival in New Zealand. In this instance, you may wish to obtain verification from the maker, the type of wood used in its manufacture prior to export, to enable faster border clearance.

With kind regards

Yours sincerely

Anastacia Kirk
Senior CITES Officer
National Compliance Team"

This was in reference to a 1998 Les Paul Classic with a rosewood board (that I presume is Indian).

JustMatt
Gibson
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 68 times

Post by JustMatt »

There are those that care about sustainability and those that see the importance in apearing like they care about sustainability. I feel Bob Taylor fits into the latter.

Dano_NZ
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 196 times

Post by Dano_NZ »

Mr NippleWrestler that response gives me hope. Everything else I've read indicates that the dealer would have to ship the guitar with a CITES Certificate. I am waiting a shipment from the US and have requested today from the dealer whether they have an export certificate with it, I suspect not. Given its in transit it may be a week or so of nail bitting.

Sanctuary
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Sanctuary »

Interested to hear how you get on...
A play on words, or words on play
Last chapter, verse in the final act
Words well scripted, each sentence choking
Inaudible gag, blanket which suffocates
As you eat another's words
Malnourished, you starve.

Dano_NZ
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 196 times

Post by Dano_NZ »

yt3hzmctmuummowzcp2h.jpg
Guitar arrived today, phew, no fuss (save GST etc at the border). Not sure if they are still sorting out how to enforce the new regs. Dealer tells me they have been shipping guitars and no-one has had any troubles. 2016 R8 washed Cherry VOS 8 lbs 6 oz if anyone is interested.

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

Dano_NZ wrote:
yt3hzmctmuummowzcp2h.jpg
Guitar arrived today, phew, no fuss (save GST etc at the border). Not sure if they are still sorting out how to enforce the new regs. Dealer tells me they have been shipping guitars and no-one has had any troubles. 2016 R8 washed Cherry VOS 8 lbs 6 oz if anyone is interested.
Ah love it! Where was that from?