Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2482 times

Delays...Educate me please.

Post by Slowy »

I currently use a TC Flashback. I like it. It's simple enough for a Neanderthal like me to operate.

But...
I'm in a band which offers the opportunity for more sonic oddities than I've ever been allowed before. Think ambient washes, pulses and swells without going full shoegaze.

Timeline (OMG the COST!!!!!) and Empress seem to get some love around here. What's special about them? What else might be worth a look?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

LucyTheSpud
Squier
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 48 times

Re: Delays...Educate me please.

Post by LucyTheSpud »

I looked at the Timeline. Ended up getting a DD500. Honestly both tools are more powerful than i need (i use 1 preset on the DD...). BUT. Midi is awesome. I use short midi cables between the Eventide gear and M5 on my board to the DD500, and have it all synced to a single tap tempo. If you are into ambient modulated delay weirdness, it makes it so easy to have it all tempo synced together. Very rare feature to have, and it makes life so much easier.

Edit. Forgot to say. Timeline is better, DD500 is cheaper. And i knew i wasnt gonna use a lot of delay, so cheaper won for me.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

Strymon stuff is all the bells and whistles but people seem to flick them on quite often, just too many options... if you're using a flashback you probably don't need tap tempo, so maybe look at doubling up with a nice analog delay, I used the carbon copy with my alter ego (modded flashback) and they worked really nicely together, both were set on quite short delays with a decent amount of repeats so it just fattened up with a big wall of sound rather than going all dotted 8 praise and worshippy.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

And for less than the cost of a timeline you could get a M9 and get a lot more flexibility and fun!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

The Timeline sounded great to me when I had one. The learning curve is actually much easier than it looks. Once you program in 3-6 delays or however many you need I didn't bother tweaking much past that. Second hand is the way to go; new prices are eye watering.
Loving it so far

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

Use the TC Toneprint app - there are a lot of interesting custom delays you can download.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 317 times
Been liked: 933 times

Post by Reg18 »

Key to ambient delay is a washy tape or analog with a bit of modulation. Set the mix kinda low (like just below half)
And the feedback higher than usual. I'm sure your Flashback would be able to achieve it but you might be better with presets so you can have a normal one then a washy one seperate. I use a Timeline and love it! But like others have stated I don't use even a quarter of what it can do. I have a tape delay set up with an expression pedal assigned to increase the feedback and modulation which works very well and I'm sure you could find another cheaper delay to do just that.
This new ehx delay looks the business!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kPvWDj0wdRg

Or buy an ambient reverb to use along side your normal delay and it can create some huge ambient sounds!

H671
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 265 times

Post by H671 »

For a budget approach, I'm happy with my Danelectro Fab delay & echo running together and sometimes with the Fab chorus.
Epiphone Riviera P93 & EJ200CE, Hagstrom Viking Bass, Doubleneck bass/guitar.
Rivera Clubster 45, Carvin AG100D, Ashton BSK158.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2482 times

Post by Slowy »

jeremyb wrote:.. if you're using a flashback you probably don't need tap tempo
Actually, I think it's essential. Flashback has tempo control, just not tapping.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 283 times

Post by Kev77 »

Also, the diamond memory lane Jnr on Trademe , get that sync it with your TC. That's a good option too.
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

if you like the flashback and are familiar with its workings-why not a flashback x4?

i picked up a Trinity(more ambient geared HOF) and alter ego(vintage geared flashback) for 198usd from PGS. Heaps of abyss contained within in which to lose ones self

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 374 times

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

Diamond delays are great. The ML Jr is an excellent analogue voiced digital delay - best of both worlds in many ways. Disclaimer: I am selling one (that one on TM is mine)...

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by kwhelan »

Bang for buck just get a zoom g3x ,even if you just use the delays of which it has everything covered in spades you have an easy to use multiple delays in tandem option to say nothing of the all the other reverbs, phasers, choruses etc etc
people seem to rip them for the distortion and cab sims but , turn that off and you have a dam good effects pedal that fits on pedal boards
especially as you can control individual effects, or parameters live thru all the foot switches
check youtube for demos

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 234 times

Post by Delayman »

Slowy wrote:
jeremyb wrote:.. if you're using a flashback you probably don't need tap tempo
Actually, I think it's essential. Flashback has tempo control, just not tapping.
Imho that audio tapping is nothing like tap. External tap means you can tap the tempo in as you carry on playing, to line up with drifting tempo if you're not using a click track. I tend to have one dotted eighth that I can tap, and then I have an ambient delay on all the time, instead of reverb.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 655 times
Been liked: 561 times

Post by TmcB »

Timeline if you want to piss around for hours and hours crafting delay noises.

Deluxe Memory Man if you like haunting, beautiful modulation, analog, and fairly bright delay.

AD-9 if you like darker, "clicky" delay and slap back.

Echolution Deluxe if you want fat analog sounds and weirdness available in an ugly box and spend hours and hours crafting delay tones.

Memory Lane Jr if you want a simple goldilocks delay that sounds like it fits exactly between analog and digital with tap tempo

Empress Tape Delay if you like Tape delays and simple layouts in a digital package

Carbon Copy/Memory Toy if you want cheap dark analog

El Capistan if you REALLY like Tape delays and tinkering with everything.

TC Flashback and variants if the grass is always greener and you never want to be quite happy

My opinion - get a Memory Lane Jr, they sit perfectly in the Goldilocks zone of delay. They're not too bright but not too dark, simple enough that you won't spend hours pissing around but enough control to get great sounds, aren't $300+, sit wonderfully in any mix, and aren't pedalboard hogs.

Tonally the best of the bunch is probably the Echolution or DMM depending on whether you like analog or digital. Memory Lane is just behind those two along with the El Capistan.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz