Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Understanding the EP Booster

Post by Reg18 »

I've been using Vox amps for the best part of the last 7 years and my trusty EP booster was an essential part to fatten up and give some top end sparkle to the tone and get the most out of my Vox amps. (Always on pedal)
Now having switched to a Fender 5e3 clone the EP booster is really giving it some kick but it
Seems to be like turning on a "thick" / "fat" switch. In fact I think it sounds better without it as an "always on tone sweetener" but might work well as just a boost.

So my question is what is the EP booster actually doing?

Because in my Vox it did fattern it out but also seemed to add a nice smooth high end sparkle, however it just seems to emphasis the Low end on my 5e3 and the amp sounds like it has more sparkle without it on.
Wondering if a SHO might be better for this amp?

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 175 times

Re: Understanding the EP Booster

Post by Mattallica »

There's a great video on Youtube about boosters with the "That pedal show" guys. They switch between Fender, Marshall & Vox and explain the differences each booster has on said amp. Pretty sure they cover the EP booster

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

My understanding was it's a 20dB boost which will cause your toobs to compress more, and it adds a bit of bass and cuts a bit of the high end, which would be inline with what you're experiencing :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Maybe a BB preamp or a Selma for a 5E3. Actually, the Selma would work well...add some top end sparkle without taking anything away from the natural tone. Shame they're not readily available.

Also, a good EQ might work. They just don't have the Unicorn Tears in them that these other specific boost/drive pedals do.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

GrantB wrote:Maybe a BB preamp or a Selma for a 5E3. Actually, the Selma would work well...add some top end sparkle without taking anything away from the natural tone. Shame they're not readily available.

Also, a good EQ might work. They just don't have the Unicorn Tears in them that these other specific boost/drive pedals do.
I have a few drive pedals already that I do like through it, my JHS morning Glory can add some top end nicely to this amp so in fact maybe just leaving the EP as a "boost for special occasions" could justify its place on my board.
It really is a lot more noticeable through the 5e3 than it was through the Vox though.

When reading reviews on pedals context is everything, I see a lot of reviews saying this or that pedal is amazing but one coverted OD pedal might sound completely rubbish through an amp it wasn't designed for. I like how Tony (Silver Pistol) gives suggestions as to what amp his pedals are more suited to, I wish more companies took this into consideration.
Anyway this thread is starting to turn into a rant, no rant intended......just observations!

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

The EP has a couple of internal dip switches that control gain and brightness - you could try different settings with those.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

Conway wrote:The EP has a couple of internal dip switches that control gain and brightness - you could try different settings with those.
Yep great suggestion, mine is the older one which has bass and treble dip switches.
I've had a play already and it appeared the factory settings were still my favorite for this amp.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

Have you tried a KTR Klon?

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

Conway wrote:Have you tried a KTR Klon?
Not yet, actually a Klone/Klon would probably work very well with this amp. I've owned the Archer before but only ever tried it through my Vox.

Here's a very quick iPhone demo of what I'm hearing.
Sorry about the clipping and badly intonated guitar!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vVDxE1zF6V8
Last edited by Reg18 on Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

I reckon on a 5E3 that will just muddy things up even further...at least in my experience.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

My experience is 5E3 is allergic to all boosts, dime it and listen to the sludge :)
The 'EP' stands for the Echoplex where it was the devices mild pre-amp, is it not?
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

GrantB wrote:
I reckon on a 5E3 that will just muddy things up even further...at least in my experience.
I think it would work well with gain on minimum and treble around 1-2 o'clock. I haven't had a tweed amp for a while but the KTR is great with Fender blackfaces.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

calling card wrote:My experience is 5E3 is allergic to all boosts, dime it and listen to the sludge :)
The 'EP' stands for the Echoplex where it was the devices mild pre-amp, is it not?
Do you think something like a treble booster/range master would possibly work better?

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

EP Boost is actually a bit if a misnomer. Three preamps inside the Echoplex did not really boost, at least in the 10-20+ decibels range etc like clean boosts of today do. They just shaped the tone in a way players liked, even if not using the echo. Yeah, 'unicorn tears' realm, but somehow likeable. EP Boost is trying to give that tone while also giving a boost in amounts an Echoplex did not.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

Reg18 wrote:
calling card wrote:My experience is 5E3 is allergic to all boosts, dime it and listen to the sludge :)
Do you think something like a treble booster/range master would possibly work better?
They are a dark sounding amp, suppose it would. Just try it.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus