FYI Prymaxe just happen to have 25% off right now

MakoGat
Squier
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 115 times

Re: FUZZ suggestions

Post by MakoGat »

Mattallica wrote:FYI Prymaxe just happen to have 25% off right now
Never heard of that place ... goes and Googles it ... looks ... OH MY!!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

MakoGat wrote:
Mattallica wrote:FYI Prymaxe just happen to have 25% off right now
Never heard of that place ... goes and Googles it ... looks ... OH MY!!
They're great guys too, had excellent service from them, and often you can chat with them and they'll offer you a discount code lol
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

I got excited when the 25% discount voucher was emailed through to me... then I realised.... duh - I don't need anything!!!
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

AiRdAd wrote:I got excited when the 25% discount voucher was emailed through to me... then I realised.... duh - I don't need anything!!!
Yes, you do. You just haven't thought of it yet! :wink:
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 519 times

Post by HackSaw »

Prymaxe are great - bought a few bits and pieces from them. And thank you Danny! Just grabbed the pigtronix power for what is a somewhat palatable price and solves my 2x 18v 300ma needs!

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

To answer the question about Pepers: I got him to make me a Mojo Hand Colossus clone but with another switch on there for some clipping options.

I specified I wanted it in olive drab so it looked like some Soviet military part. Tony (Pepers, pedalmaker) didn't have any olive drab paint so he went to the store, sent me pictures of all the olive drab shades available and asked me which one I liked best, this was over Facebook. I replied back and he bought it, then sprayed the enclosure and didn't bill me for the paint.

$120 shipped for one of the best fuzz pedals in existence, and with a custom paint job. The dude's brilliant.

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 519 times

Post by HackSaw »

Carcosa for $120? I better start recouping my expenditures!

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

godgrinder wrote:
jeremyb wrote:And he's also just doing knockoffs too I guess so they have to be cheaper than the originals :)
True, if you push it too close to used original prices then people would just buy originals.

Also depends on how you market them though, if you market it right you can sell a clone or a slightly modified circuit (or even repainted cheapo pedals) at a premium. Freekish Blues and Dragonfly FX anyone? Haha.
Yeah, he totally owns the clone space. Does his own powder coating too, cool guy. Problem is that there's a pretty hard limit of around $160 for clones - doesn't matter how awful the circuit is to put together (Klones suck fyi). He seems to love it though, and he does great work. He's certainly raised the bar.

I have a policy of only doing clones that are out of print or have something weird going on - most of the clone clients want a cheap reindition of a mass market pedal. Like Muffs, Rats, Tubescreamers in stock form. The beauty of getting a builder to make a pedal for you is that you can get options that don't exist/more flexibility.

So Pepers and I coexist pretty well - I'd rather point people after more generic stuff towards him. He does a fantastic job for not many pingers. I'm about it all being super sexy and old school and design all the things to be a whole package
Last edited by TmcB on Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by griff »

+1 on Tony's pedals. He did me a fuzz face variant and it's great.

MakoGat
Squier
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 115 times

Re: FUZZ suggestions - SORTED

Post by MakoGat »

Managed to get one by the weekend, repositioned all my pedalboard to get it squeezed in, very happy boy now

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

What did you get?

Silverpistol only has a MkIII based fuzz on their site. I am looking for a MKII. Undecided if to go as close to original as possible, or to go for something more flexible. Switches to go from OC75 to OC81D and from MKI.5 to MKII would be nice. Would cover most of my fuzz needs that way. Some recent versions play nice with buffers, but I am not sure I need that or how it affects things. Want a really well tuned fuzz.

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 374 times

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

Aquila Rossa wrote:What did you get?

Silverpistol only has a MkIII based fuzz on their site. I am looking for a MKII. Undecided if to go as close to original as possible, or to go for something more flexible. Switches to go from OC75 to OC81D and from MKI.5 to MKII would be nice. Would cover most of my fuzz needs that way. Some recent versions play nice with buffers, but I am not sure I need that or how it affects things. Want a really well tuned fuzz.
The option to switch from 1.5 to II is cool. Jerms makes a really good one (very hard to find), or there is the Ramble FX Twin Bender - which I really liked, but to be honest, I don't think it was a great representation of a MkII (more MkIII sounding from memory). You could probably commission one from someone like Jimmy Behan (Super Electric) or Brad Davis (Creepy Fingers). Tony or Pepers might be up for the challenge?

Having a buffer friendly circuit gives you more flexibility in where to place the fuzz in your chain, though I've never found it a big deal. I put the fuzz first, but then I don't have a lot else going on. Can be a bit of an issue with wahs, but a lot of newer wahs are fuzz friendly anyway.

I've never seen the option to switch transistor types - that would be pretty cool though. OC81D MkIIs can be VERY expensive - especially the white jacket ones (the last DAM version I saw went for something around $3000...) OC82D or OC82DM gets you pretty close for less. I have a OC81D MkII made by a Japanese builder called Organic Sounds, which is really cool, but there are some interesting 'artifacts' in the sound - because the transistors are so rare, finding really good ones is a problem. My favourite MkII actually has OC84s, which some people don't like - but I find has a really nice chewy quality (less harsh than OC75).

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Would think there is not that much in it with the range of OC transistors from 75 thru 84 when in the same circuit, but comparisons I have listened to they all have their own thing going on. I only want OC81D because they are supposed to be the bee's knees and it would leave me wondering if I got 75s instead. I suspect they all work tho.

81D is supposed to have something special going on in the harmonics, but not having tried one myself, I can not tell if it is true or just internet blabber.

Could get one built, but also tempted to DIY. Tuning a fuzz is tricky by all accounts. Getting good matched transistors too i guess. Ones for sale are probably the rejects lol.

Chewy? That is a term I am using a lot lately for lead tones. Sound is chewy but it is more that the feel is. Especially the pick attack. Kind of rubbery almost. Hard to describe. RR's Blizzard tone could be chewy at times i think. Germanium in his MXR Dist+ maybe. I dunno.