Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 35 times

Re: Surprises

Post by Eruera »

I’ve always been surprised by how joyless I have found every strat I’ve ever played. I really want to like they because they’re so iconic, but every time I touch one it’s a disappointment :rofl:

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

I’m never disappointed with them, but ... I duno man. I really want to like them.
I wonder if oldie knows where that old dave murray copy got to.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Eruera wrote:I’ve always been surprised by how joyless I have found every strat I’ve ever played. I really want to like they because they’re so iconic, but every time I touch one it’s a disappointment :rofl:
Yeah, I'm a bit the same... until you put a bucker in the bridge and a two point trem. Then they cover so much ground. Jack of most trades.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Eruera wrote:I’ve always been surprised by how joyless I have found every strat I’ve ever played. I really want to like they because they’re so iconic, but every time I touch one it’s a disappointment :rofl:

this +100.

Candeevr4
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 265 times

Post by Candeevr4 »

I used to play a squier strat, then an am series tele before I got my sg, but when i pick up the washburn im babysitting atm, i just cant get to like it and keep going back to the SG.

Maybe its just that its a smelly old thing and i need something new to try again...

Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Eruera »

bbrunskill wrote:
Frey wrote:
bbrunskill wrote:My Ric has more or less killed guitar GAS for me. It does the main sound I need better than anything else, very easy and comfy to play. I like very much my little Laney VC15, but i have a sneaky feeling it's not the ultimate.
love that jangle pop Ricky tone! have you tried a celestion blue? what about long plate JJ 12AX7s? that could get you most of the way to "ultimate"! tone is subjective and lies in the fingers remember!
you're not convincing me . . . anyway, when I want more jangle, I just play more jangle-y-er . .. bit closer to the bridge, open strings, bobs you're uncle.
Have you tried flats on it? They’re magical on your Ric’s long lost brother

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

I'm in a similar situation with my acoustic bass... I bought my Crafter and felt it was a sort of "along the way" bass and that there would be a long list of better and better basses to follow.

But, even after playing a bunch of more expensive things (Martins, Guilds, etc) I find the Crafter does exactly what I want. Whenever I see a new ABG in a shop I give it a burl but I still prefer the Crafter. It has a smallish body and that means it's not terribly heavy on the bottom end, the sound is nicely balanced along the whole range and it's absolutely perfect for what I do. And if I want bottom end, I can always play with the EQ, I suppose.

It feels a bit unusual... NOT having GAS, knowing that it's probably pointless to GAS for anything else, all I can do now is just play. And I suppose it's a relief as well. But I sort of do miss having GAS.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Eruera wrote:
bbrunskill wrote:
Frey wrote:
love that jangle pop Ricky tone! have you tried a celestion blue? what about long plate JJ 12AX7s? that could get you most of the way to "ultimate"! tone is subjective and lies in the fingers remember!
you're not convincing me . . . anyway, when I want more jangle, I just play more jangle-y-er . .. bit closer to the bridge, open strings, bobs you're uncle.
Have you tried flats on it? They’re magical on your Ric’s long lost brother
It's utterly badass with flats, glorious stuff! But they are a bit too 'niche' sounding for covers . . . and a bastard to bend