Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Suhr - Classic vs Classic Antique

Post by slash-ed »

Next weekend I'm heading down to help out at a sale at the biggest Suhr dealer in Australia, and I'm a bit concerned that I may come back with something :lol: :lol: (there's a shell pink Mateus Asato sig that's calling my name... but not my wallet haha).

In my head I'm looking for an HSS Classic, but I haven't played enough of them to really know if the Antique version is worth the extra money. As I understand it, the key difference is poly vs nitro (with some aging) and the pickups.

Since NZG is the NZ trading hub for Suhrs I figured you guys might have some good opinions to offer!
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Re: Suhr - Classic vs Classic Antique

Post by Molly »

The one we traded was a Classic I think (?). Kind of bland I suppose and left no more impression on you than it did on me. I reckon I'd jump at a Classic Antique if one should come up (that Mateus Asoto sig looks great) but have no idea if it'd be any more engaging that the last one. Certainly looks cooler.

Envy you attending the sale. I definitely wouldn't be leaving empty handed. :thumbup:

casemysta
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by casemysta »

Have owner both and the antique is worth every penny more . The feel is so much better . You’ll see

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Molly wrote:Kind of bland I suppose and left no more impression on you than it did on me.
This is my feeling about Suhr's in general, but I have no idea why and it really shouldn't be the case as I've never actually played one. Must make a point of trying one sometime so I can form a genuine opinion.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

casemysta wrote:Have owner both and the antique is worth every penny more . The feel is so much better . You’ll see
Oh no, this doesn't bode well for me...

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

Molly wrote:The one we traded was a Classic I think (?). Kind of bland I suppose and left no more impression on you than it did on me. I reckon I'd jump at a Classic Antique if one should come up (that Mateus Asoto sig looks great) but have no idea if it'd be any more engaging that the last one. Certainly looks cooler.

Envy you attending the sale. I definitely wouldn't be leaving empty handed. :thumbup:
Yeah, Classic Pro I think? Though (funny how tastes can change in such a short span) I was still on a big humbucker kick at the time and not that keen on bigger necks so I don't think I gave it much of a chance either.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

I like the classic. Not fussed about the nitro with relic’ing. Don’t have any problems with the pickups. Get a sonic blue one! Or lake placid.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by Kiwiaxe »

I agree with Casey. Antique is my preference by far.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Molly wrote:Kind of bland I suppose and left no more impression on you than it did on me.
This is my feeling about Suhr's in general, but I have no idea why and it really shouldn't be the case as I've never actually played one. Must make a point of trying one sometime so I can form a genuine opinion.
Lol yeah people who've played Suhrs only pls :moresarc:

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

Curious about this as well. Would the Antique be a bit more resonant with nitro finish? I had my eyes on a Classic Pro JM but found it a bit flat when I tried it out, very well made guitar though.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by Kiwiaxe »

Another key potential difference with Antiques is that some of them come with roasted maple necks. To be honest, the two antiques I own (and the one I no longer own) all had that and it was what made me love them.

Of course you don’t need to go Suhr for that - my EBMM JP15 and my Xotic XSC2 have it as well.

Not all antiques have it. No classics do.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

Antique over classic pro for sure...not to say the CP is bad at all, just the antique is more what I imagine a better Strat should be like. Look forward to your take Ed.