Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 374 times

Re: Finding the Right Fuzz Pedal

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

Darth Sabbathi wrote:Fuzz is a very subjective thing in my experience. Personally I really like something with a fair amount of spit and a lot of girth - I don't really do the Gilmour tone type of thing. But if that is your bag, I would say a Ram's Head style big muff would be the go. The best one I've tried is the violet Rams Head from Tym Guitars in Australia, but they are hard to get a hold of:

https://tymguitars.com.au/collections/e ... etramshead (all of his Big Muffs are good - I've also tried the reverse and the civil war, but this was my fave)

If you want the versatile muff-with-mids thing, the EQD Hoof is my pick.

As Danny suggests, a fuzz face is a good all round option too. If you want something that is not too woolly, I'd go with a silicon version - BC108 or BC183 transistors. The Skreddy Lunar Module would be excellent if you want something spendy. Solid Gold FX 'If 6 Was 9' is a good option too.

Edit: the other thing I would say, whatever pedal you get, try it with a bunch of different configurations. Fuzz pedals are wildly sensitive to all sorts of factors - the amount of gain, the input level, the kind of pickup, the amp, etc. Particularly gain and input level - try it out with clean vs overdriven amp, and try rolling off your guitar volume. Those things can make a huge difference.
I mentioned the Tym Violet Big Mud - there are a batch of these available online now: https://tymguitars.com.au/collections/e ... dbigbigmud

They probably won't hang around for more than an hour or so - if you're keen, get in there. They hold pretty good resale value on Reverb if you don't dig it.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

What did you go for Slowy?
Loving it so far

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1010 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

StratMatt wrote:What did you go for Slowy?
I lost control of the process. :oops:
I got a Baltic Blue One Control from Conway and accidentally bought an Iron Bell which has not arrived yet.

Asked Jb about the Iron Bell. He wasn't very complimentary but then I thought that might be a solid recommendation (different ears etc). Still waiting to find out.
Tried Conway's settings on the One Control and found it too compressed and fuzzy (I want a big violin) but the way it swelled into feedback was awesome! Ended up setting the gain low and putting it through my Timmy and that has some real promise. Still working it out.

Muffs are definitely the sound I hear in my head though. Getting close.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: Asked Jb about the Iron Bell. He wasn't very complimentary but then I thought that might be a solid recommendation (different ears etc). Still waiting to find out.
Thats some mad logic right there :lol: will be interesting to hear what you think, I found it really thin and uninspiring, I'm a big muff fan and it really didn't measure up :(
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

jeremyb wrote:I'm a big muff fan and it really didn't measure up :(
In case anyone (e.g. me) wondered how JB got his reputation around here :lol:

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Bass big muff
Cmon
Give it a try
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

+1 on the Bush FX dood.

I asked him to make me a comp and OD in one pedal. both together into a dirty amp is good.
using fuzz with other pedals creates a strange relationship, in my experience the fuzz must go first in the chain, depends on what comes after it etc. it`s like having a drama queen girlfriend.
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

Slowy wrote:Tried Conway's settings on the One Control and found it too compressed and fuzzy (I want a big violin) but the way it swelled into feedback was awesome!
Compressed and fuzzy is what you normally get from a fuzz pedal. :wink: The feedback generation capability means you can get rid of your Digitech FreqOut now.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 519 times

Post by HackSaw »

Have you had a play with Conway's brothers?

(there isn't any great way to phrase that question sorry)

I dig the fuzz tones, actually all the tones that can be generated from that little beaut.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

:o

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

I don't have any brothers, just a sister. And I don't think Slowy has ever met her, let alone molested her!

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Conway wrote:I don't have any brothers, just a sister. And I don't think Slowy has ever met her, let alone molested her!
Best keep it that way Conway.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

I think the best answer to this thread may well be the Keeley Dark Side, but that is probably overkill as it will duplicate other pedals you have. Still, it does look good to me. Instant DG in a box.

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

I have an awesome Mooer Triangle Buff if you'd like to test drive, I just bought a Vertex Distortion so that covers the ground of fuzz that I need, just let me know you can loan it FOC

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1010 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Well a terrifyingly pink Iron Bell has arrived. It's very.....pink.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.