Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 317 times
Been liked: 933 times

Re: Crazy to spend $6k on a Tele?

Post by Reg18 »

Changing the pickups in the Baja would comparatively be heaps cheaper, even if you bought the most expensive cork sniffer boutique things you could find.......maybe even finding the best tech you can and getting them to do their ‘Deluxe set up’ and see if it helps?
You would only be loosing a few hundred if it didn’t work and I’m guessing the gamble would be higher on a 6k guitar.

I don’t like the ‘Tone King’ but an interesting video where one of the custom shop builders compares different models

Seems like the differences are in hand selected woods and just a really great set up, fret ends etc.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Can confirm a proper actual “no stone left unturned” type setup does wonders.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Post by Molly »

I watched that video recently. I think the guy struggled to justify the cost. As you said, nice woods and a pro set up.

When you first sit down with a guitar it's great if it feels instantly familiar, comfortable and played-in. My Baja has that new guitar stiffness, as did the new Mexi Strat I played a few days ago. Nothing a pro set up couldn't fix.

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 523 times
Been liked: 353 times

Post by WellyBlues »

While you're in the UK why not get Bare Knuckle to make a custom set for you? Probably less than $6k! https://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/pickup-builder
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 274 times
Been liked: 380 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Molly wrote:
Dharmajester wrote: Has a beautifully mellow tone.
Just quoting you in Steve as I'd like your thoughts on the above. Recall thinking about my Nocaster that you could play anything on it and it'd sound great. Much like Rabea's demo.
Not sure I can add anything new here. You are familiar with my Tele. Was a two tone AVRI I bought off TM. Indifferent when it arrived, brittle, clanky etc. After taking the hideous formica like finish off by way of experiment and it sprang to life. Out of my current guitar stash it is now the guitar I have had the longest. I'm sure a nice Nocaster would be superior but hell it feels like and sounds like a Tele. The same procedure applied to your Baja may produce a similar result. If it was cheap enough I'd risk it. I too can't quite get my head around what the pu wiring you described actually does but standard Nocaster pu's appear to be easily available.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

xCaptainx
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by xCaptainx »

I guess personal finances and lifestyle would determine the context.

I can't justify $6k on a tele, much like I can't justify $6k on a watch or a TV.

Tele's to me are a 'workhorse' style of guitar, as a playing/gigging guitar it wouldn't be a wise choice for me. As an investment? Sure, but is it a worthwhile investment? No idea.

I can 100% understand the price point given the build process and quality, but I'd generate the same amount of 'enjoyment' from a sound MIA or heck, even a fun MIM with cool specs. Or 3 of them with that money haha.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

xCaptainx wrote:...Or 3 of them with that money haha.
I went through that kind of thought process/justification recently - would I rather have 2-3 decent guitars or one top of the line 'dream' guitar. Think personally I'd opt for the latter, as I'd probably just end up selling the cheaper ones off one by one. No guarantee I wouldn't try to do that with the expensive one, but I'd be less likely to

xCaptainx
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by xCaptainx »

Yup that's fair. And hey I currently own a USA built semi-custom, so I can 100% appreciate the want and need for high quality. I love the guitar that I have, but I also have a MIM Fender on its way which I'm genuinely excited to own.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 856 times
Been liked: 276 times

Post by calling card »

Dunno, wonder if it makes me more crazy cutting mine out of a pine log with a chainsaw. Definitely cheaper.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

That’s just man sizing it.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.