Swapping out half the pedalboard for a Helix Effects or similiar?

Gear Aquisition Syndrome is a serious disorder.... FX etc

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

nztim
Squier
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 12 times

Swapping out half the pedalboard for a Helix Effects or similiar?

Post by nztim »

Hey all, I have long since left the HD500 but getting back into doing covers again and seriously missing the ability to dial in random effects when needed. Just wondering if any of you have added one of these to your board, even m13 or the likes, just wanting to know if it worked as you expected or not.

what I imagine my setup would be if I got this route,
Wah > Boost > TS9 > Big Muff > Helix FX > Amp

Thanks!
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make."

bluesierra
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 69 times

Re: Swapping out half the pedalboard for a Helix Effects or similiar?

Post by bluesierra »

I'm just in the process of finishing up a small board comprised of a Helix Stomp, a few drive pedals and a RJM PBC/6X.

I have 3 drive pedals (via the PBC) running into the loop of the HX Stomp. I can then use midi functions on the PBC to change presets and add functionality. Super versatile setup and sounds great. setup a Wet/Dry rig last night and it was super easy and sounds awesome. So many options available. And if you don't want to drag an amp around, no problem.

I have previously had a Kemper, AX8 and FX8 and have been super impressed with the sounds and functionality in that little HX Stomp box. Highly recommend.

nztim
Squier

Post by nztim »

Hadnt considered the HX Stomp, mainly as I dont need an amp sim. But will have a look into that tonight to add to the mix.

bluesierra
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by bluesierra »

nztim wrote:Hadnt considered the HX Stomp, mainly as I dont need an amp sim. But will have a look into that tonight to add to the mix.
I mainly use it without the amp sim also and think it works great that way. But I do have a few amp presets that I use with headphones when I feel like it.

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

seems like if you need moar buttonz the FX is better.

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

bluesierra wrote:
nztim wrote:Hadnt considered the HX Stomp, mainly as I dont need an amp sim. But will have a look into that tonight to add to the mix.
I mainly use it without the amp sim also and think it works great that way. But I do have a few amp presets that I use with headphones when I feel like it.
I’m with bluesierra on this one. I also have the HX Stomp on my pedalboard and when your amp fails you one day, you’ve got an amp sim right there to go straight into FOH

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

I went HX FX mainly for a more familiar feel. I do like it, but there is tone suck. It's minor, but it's real.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

nztim
Squier

Post by nztim »

KNNZ wrote:
bluesierra wrote:
I’m with bluesierra on this one. I also have the HX Stomp on my pedalboard and when your amp fails you one day, you’ve got an amp sim right there to go straight into FOH
Yea the more I think about it the more this feels the sensible option

nztim
Squier

Post by nztim »

GrantB wrote:I went HX FX mainly for a more familiar feel. I do like it, but there is tone suck. It's minor, but it's real.
Ah, this is what I was concerned about. I play with small wattage amps cranked up. And with the HD500 the was quite a difference with it in the chain. But was hoping technology had moved a bit since then.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Yep, people who say it doesn’t exist either don’t care or have other things making it less of an issue (like an average amp). My best tone is still guitar straight into the amp....but covers ain’t gonna hit the mark without some fancy schmancy tones.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Mattallica »

GrantB wrote:I went HX FX mainly for a more familiar feel. I do like it, but there is tone suck. It's minor, but it's real.
Even with all the bypass and dry through options?

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Mattallica wrote:
Yep. It’s not a deal breaker...and live at higher volume it’s not really going be heard.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

GrantB wrote:
Mattallica wrote:
Yep. It’s not a deal breaker...and live at higher volume it’s not really going be heard.
I noticed a difference in this when switching from
An M9 to Strymon, the tone seemed less altered with the Strymon in bypass, but with all the pedals I have it’s always a compromise. Would be handy to have a pedal at the start of the chain to fine tune the impedance or something. I know a buffer does this to a degree but some more fine tuning of the note attack etc would be handy.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Reg18 wrote: I noticed a difference in this when switching from
An M9 to Strymon, the tone seemed less altered with the Strymon in bypass, but with all the pedals I have it’s always a compromise. Would be handy to have a pedal at the start of the chain to fine tune the impedance or something. I know a buffer does this to a degree but some more fine tuning of the note attack etc would be handy.
You should try out my Keeley GC-2 at the next gearfest! https://robertkeeley.com/product/gc-2-l ... ompressor/
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

i have good buffers pre the unit. If I run it in bypass or DSP it makes no difference. There’s something the Line 6 stuff does to your signal that alters it...albeit slightly.