Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Thewilltopowerrock
Vintage Pun Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 47 times

Re: Gear That Everybody Seems To Love But You Don't

Post by Thewilltopowerrock »

Tentative plus one for the Flint camp. I haven’t given it a proper run but from what I have heard so far it didn’t blow my hair back given its reputation (which preceded it, naturally).
On one hand that sucks because it’s be back to the drawing board, but on the other hand it’s cool because it’s back to the drawing board.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1210 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

IMHO the spring reverb on the Flint is average, everything else on it is excellent.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 201 times

Post by jhyang549 »

Guitar amps, I guess? I've been playing digital modellers so much more than my actual tube guitar amp that I'm going ampless. I bought a cheap Laney 1x12 PA and have been playing my Zoom G3n through it (sounds good so far). The Zoom G3n cabinet simulations aren't that great so I've ordered a cheap cab IR loader pedal from AliExpress to load York Audio IRs into it.

MiniForklift
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 365 times

Post by MiniForklift »

For me I found the Katana very underwhelming, I’ve had the 50w and the 100w and neither made my ball sack tingle
“𝐑𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐝𝐢𝐬𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧”

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 598 times

Post by Starfire »

Vox Pathfinders. People talk like they're some kind of holy grail solid state amp, but I think they sound fucking awful.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1108 times
Been liked: 1424 times

Post by robthemac »

Starfire wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:20 pm Vox Pathfinders. People talk like they're some kind of holy grail solid state amp, but I think they sound fucking awful.
Oh god yes, this was one of the least pleasant amps I have ever spent time with.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

MiniForklift
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 365 times

Post by MiniForklift »

Brittler than a sun-baked plastic bottle
“𝐑𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐲 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐝𝐢𝐬𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧”

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 222 times

Post by IMOCD »

I'll see your Pathfinder and raise you a Blues Junior.....

Thewilltopowerrock
Vintage Pun Junkie

IMOCD wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:54 pm I'll see your Pathfinder and raise you a Blues Junior.....
Go on…

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 656 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

I can't vibe with -

Compressor Pedals as an always on type thing. I love them as an obvious effect and always use one with my 12 string, but I've had some really nice compressors, and I turn them off and think . . ah, that's better.

Reverb pedals - with the exception of a tube driven spring reverb on a clean Fender Amp. Same thing as a compressor, I've tried various reverb pedals and when I turn them off I think, ah good, my tone is back.

Interestingly, I really like both compression and reverb as post microphone mixing effects.

Also, fake relic'ed guitars. I love beat up guitars, (my poor Rickenbacker) but artificial relic'ing is just not my jam. I like when the dents and scrapes tell the story of 100's of bar gigs.

hercules
Squier
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by hercules »

rickenbackerkid wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:52 pm I can't vibe with -

Compressor Pedals as an always on type thing. I love them as an obvious effect and always use one with my 12 string, but I've had some really nice compressors, and I turn them off and think . . ah, that's better.
Funny you say that, cos I've found that my Cali76 spends more time off than on these days - in fact, I never use it. But it's coincided with me changing my gain staging, which involves more natural compression from the amp...so maybe that's it too?

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2491 times

Post by Slowy »

Touchscreens.
Lets start with phones. They work well for those amongst you to whom the great outdoors is the walk between car and office but if it's raining, your hands are dirty or, god forbid you have band aids on your fingertips, a touchscreen is a real pain.
Cars.
I don't know how they even got there. Trying to change anything other than velocity in a Tesla requires a co-pilot who can locate the appropriate icon to touch. I can operate every control in my car without taking my eyes off the road because I know where everything is and it tells me what I've done. Touchscreens have zero feedback. They're like engaging in sex through shower glass. You can see what's happening but all sensory feedback is removed. It's horrible.

And to those of you laughing at the old man yelling at clouds, when are you going to modify your guitar's controls to a touchscreen?
Yes Conway, I know you have one......
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Thewilltopowerrock
Vintage Pun Junkie

Slowy wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:35 pm Touchscreens.
Lets start with phones. They work well for those amongst you to whom the great outdoors is the walk between car and office but if it's raining, your hands are dirty or, god forbid you have band aids on your fingertips, a touchscreen is a real pain.
Cars.
I don't know how they even got there. Trying to change anything other than velocity in a Tesla requires a co-pilot who can locate the appropriate icon to touch. I can operate every control in my car without taking my eyes off the road because I know where everything is and it tells me what I've done. Touchscreens have zero feedback. They're like engaging in sex through shower glass. You can see what's happening but all sensory feedback is removed. It's horrible.

And to those of you laughing at the old man yelling at clouds, when are you going to modify your guitar's controls to a touchscreen?
Yes Conway, I know you have one......
I’m with you on the cars. I derive unwarranted pleasure from operating controls without diverting eyes and knowing the task is done.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2491 times

Post by Slowy »

hercules wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:39 pm
rickenbackerkid wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:52 pm I can't vibe with -

Funny you say that, cos I've found that my Cali76 spends more time off than on these days - in fact, I never use it. But it's coincided with me changing my gain staging, which involves more natural compression from the amp...so maybe that's it too?
My old Keeley 2 knob compressor was a 'sound gooderer' pedal, it was always on. My current version is used to give me some control fingerpicking electric but I've learned some techniques that don't make it totally necessary anymore. Does make things easier though.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1108 times
Been liked: 1424 times

Post by robthemac »

Vox amplifiers.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.