Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1108 times
Been liked: 1424 times

Re: Midi Journey

Post by robthemac »

[potentially_unhelpful_information]

The ES-5 sounds more what you need. It has five loops that can be controlled by individual footswitches (footswitch mode), or controlled en masse (preset mode). Preset mode also allows you to switch the order of the loops (e.g. 1-2-3 vs 3-1-2). In preset mode you can immediately access five presets at a time, and there are dedicated Bank Up / Down switches.

The loops are mono only (need the ES-8 to go stereo), so I have my stereo pedals running after the output.

In terms of MIDI functionality, you can send multiple messages per preset. So for example I have a preset that just has one loop active (Flint), and sends messages to the stereo pedals telling them to all go to bypass mode. Then my next preset bypasses all the loops (including the Flint), but send MIDI messages to the delay and reverb to go to certain presets. Then the next preset not only activates the Strymon Sunset in one of the loops, but sends it a MIDI message telling it to go to a certain preset (as well as telling the delay and reverb to go back to bypass). Then the next preset activates a loop with a fuzz in it, and tells my modulation pedal to go to a certain preset. So four presets correspond to intro/verse/chorus/solo. One button to switch instantly (and I mean instantly, c.f. some multi-fx units and the Iridium). Have used it live and will do again.

It took me an hour or two to learn how to set up a preset, but now it takes maybe two minutes. And if you have a couple of 'base' tones (e.g. a clean with a bit of reverb, a light OD, a distortion) then programming these can only take a few seconds. Apparently in the Boss PC app you can even copy preset data between banks (e.g. copy your clean tone to ten different banks), but I have had issues getting my computer and ES-5 to talk nicely so haven't done this.

The ES-5 isn't perfect and I'd be happy to outline its flaws if you wanted, but it's a killer piece of kit.

[/potentially_unhelpful_information]
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Also the ease of use of different MIDI pedals should be considered. Strymon is generally great, very easy to learn, easy to send the right messages. The Boss MD-500 is excruciatingly difficult, and if it didn't sound so good it would be beaten to a pulp by now.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

Guitarists and tech.
Midi has been around since the 80's. Anyone playing around with synths at that time had a WAY steeper learning curve than making a few guitar effects talk to each other.

Back to your valves and your pre-industrial-revolution ways. How do you cope with a 'mobile fone with touch screen'?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Bg wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:44 pm Guitarists and tech.
Anyone playing around with synths at that time had a WAY steeper learning curve than making a few guitar effects talk to each other.
Had to wire them up yourselves, manual was in Latin, had to generate your own electricity by pedaling, etc etc etc

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

robthemac wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:57 pm
Anyone playing around with synths at that time had a WAY steeper learning curve than making a few guitar effects talk to each other.
Had to wire them up yourselves, manual was in Latin, had to generate your own electricity by pedaling, etc etc etc
No. We had to read the documentation. Bearing in mind, this was documentation, no internet or electronic nursing.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

robthemac wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:18 pm [potentially_unhelpful_information]

The ES-5 sounds more what you need. It has five loops that can be controlled by individual footswitches (footswitch mode), or controlled en masse (preset mode). Preset mode also allows you to switch the order of the loops (e.g. 1-2-3 vs 3-1-2). In preset mode you can immediately access five presets at a time, and there are dedicated Bank Up / Down switches.

The loops are mono only (need the ES-8 to go stereo), so I have my stereo pedals running after the output.

In terms of MIDI functionality, you can send multiple messages per preset. So for example I have a preset that just has one loop active (Flint), and sends messages to the stereo pedals telling them to all go to bypass mode. Then my next preset bypasses all the loops (including the Flint), but send MIDI messages to the delay and reverb to go to certain presets. Then the next preset not only activates the Strymon Sunset in one of the loops, but sends it a MIDI message telling it to go to a certain preset (as well as telling the delay and reverb to go back to bypass). Then the next preset activates a loop with a fuzz in it, and tells my modulation pedal to go to a certain preset. So four presets correspond to intro/verse/chorus/solo. One button to switch instantly (and I mean instantly, c.f. some multi-fx units and the Iridium). Have used it live and will do again.

It took me an hour or two to learn how to set up a preset, but now it takes maybe two minutes. And if you have a couple of 'base' tones (e.g. a clean with a bit of reverb, a light OD, a distortion) then programming these can only take a few seconds. Apparently in the Boss PC app you can even copy preset data between banks (e.g. copy your clean tone to ten different banks), but I have had issues getting my computer and ES-5 to talk nicely so haven't done this.

The ES-5 isn't perfect and I'd be happy to outline its flaws if you wanted, but it's a killer piece of kit.

[/potentially_unhelpful_information]
Cheers. Will look into. Given the HX does a lot of this also it might have a lot of ground similar . But what you’ve described is what I’m after.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Bg wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:10 pm
No. We had to read the documentation. Bearing in mind, this was documentation, no internet or electronic nursing.

And then had to lick road clean wid tongue…
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Thanks all.

I think this journey has some more iterations to it.

robthemac, you're right on point with the suggestion re Boss ES. However, I'm not quite ready to start to learn how to program that to drive the HXFX via midi. The ES would give me control of all non-HXFX pedals, AND the HX....so very tempting.

Mainly because I've just found the structural aspects of the HXFX delivered in a way I can understand. So I now have most aspects under control with exception of the synth. But of course, the HXFX can control the Synth too. I just need to learn to use the HX Edit for midi (it's real good for basic stuff....can't be that hard).

So my outlay potential has now reduced to a larger Warwick pedal board to accomodate looper, synth and amp switcher.

Sigh - maybe then, I am done...

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

GrantB wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:09 pm Thanks all.

I think this journey has some more iterations to it.

robthemac, you're right on point with the suggestion re Boss ES. However, I'm not quite ready to start to learn how to program that to drive the HXFX via midi. The ES would give me control of all non-HXFX pedals, AND the HX....so very tempting.

Mainly because I've just found the structural aspects of the HXFX delivered in a way I can understand. So I now have most aspects under control with exception of the synth. But of course, the HXFX can control the Synth too. I just need to learn to use the HX Edit for midi (it's real good for basic stuff....can't be that hard).

So my outlay potential has now reduced to a larger Warwick pedal board to accomodate looper, synth and amp switcher.

Sigh - maybe then, I am done...
If you want to try the ES-5 for a while, let me know!

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

If anyone has wondered about the HXFX structure...the Bank(32)>Preset(4)>snapshots(4) with 6 effects in each preset. So, I have more than enough switching power...brain power, not so sure.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

GrantB wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:17 am

And then had to lick road clean wid tongue…
Our mam and dad would slice us in two with bread knife then dance on us grave singing hallelujah

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

What songs are using the synth for?

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Bg wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:56 pm What songs are using the synth for?
Real deep and meaningful stuff like "What A Feeling" form Flashdance...

I've just about leapt off a cliff tonight with trying to understand why one of my drive presets wouldn't switch in the Snapshot. I'd turned it off, as in, to ignore switching. FFS.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 381 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Not to mention the fact that the documentation ( with Boss, Roland etc ) was invariably a very bad translation from Japanese which presented a variety of challenges itself.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

DongHua
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by DongHua »

Currently own bunches of midi switchers and rack program switchers.

Among all those “pro”gears, there is one particular unit really shines in modern hardware game.

Check out the Hotone AmperoControl. Cheap robust and programmable app via Bluetooth is so simple to navigate for a tech dinosaur like myself.