Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3498 times
Been liked: 715 times

Wireless

Post by Cdog »

Sucked in by the gushing 100% positive reviews for a Lekato wifi-band guitar wireless system... I decided to try it myself... (spoiler alert: it's junk.) :lol:

That was the video I recorded (in my jamies!) and sent to Aliexpress before I received a prompt refund. :roll:

Bah, I need something very reliable anyway... so I'm thinking UHF is where it's at?
Hard to know what to believe with 'reviews' online. Is anyone using wireless systems live?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7742 times
Been liked: 4186 times

Re: Wireless

Post by jeremyb »

I have the lekato uhf unit and it rules, my wifi at home is so powerful it drowns out the 2.4ghz stuff :rofl:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

hercules
Squier
Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by hercules »

I play with someone who insists on using a wireless system and I have violent murder fantasies as a result.

It’s not just the notable sound quality drop, the constant technical problems or the fact it’s never got enough battery. It’s because wireless also turns one into a showboating fool.

But…that’s just my 2c.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1316 times
Been liked: 875 times

Post by MikeC »

Well a coily cable was good enough for Jimmi & Gearmandude...
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

hercules wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:17 pm I play with someone who insists on using a wireless system and I have violent murder fantasies as a result.

It’s not just the notable sound quality drop, the constant technical problems or the fact it’s never got enough battery. It’s because wireless also turns one into a showboating fool.

But…that’s just my 2c.
Best reply ever! :lol:

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 253 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

Line 6 G10 Relay since years ago, probably about 8 or so between that and the G30 before it.

No problems with reliability or tone, because I'm going through AX8 into the PA most of the time, so what's some more digital encoding? TBH, the general quality of the Fractal tones kind of makes up for any signal degradation, which in my experience in miniscule. But to be fair, I haven't used a cable live in so long, I'd probably not be able to tell.

Takes about 15-20 mins to charge enough to get through a set of 45-60 mins with usually only one of the three battery bars dipping.

Wireless for me was always about practicality vs showboating - it's one less obstacle for an energetic singer to navigate whey they invariably invade my personal space.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 656 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

I use wireless, but UHF pro grade. Expensive but it works

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

Used to be Line 6 Relay G30 which was good. Now, use the Shure GLXD16+ and it's excellent. Tough, reliable, long battery life (I run two, one always charged), and the built in tuner is handy (and accurate).

Spendy, but worth every cent. About $1300 with the extra battery and another high quality cable.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3493 times
Been liked: 1088 times

Post by codedog »

I use a Nux thing. It's a 2.4 GHz thing, older model, can't remember which. I don't play live, but I use it all the time with my interface. It saves me having to reach across my desk to plug in a cable and have it trailing over my messy desk. I have a wifi mesh all over the house, and a rather powerful google nest wifi too. One of the mesh access points is just a couple of meters away. No issues so far.

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 348 times
Been liked: 248 times

Post by crowbgood1 »

I use a $200 Bluetooth set up live and at rehearsals. Slight difference in tone, very slight. If you are worried about these slight difference - don't. The audience couldn't give a rats backside.

I completely understand wireless gas though, but that's a different story.
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

Thanks for the replies... Great to hear about, Shure, Line6, NU-X and bluetooth options. I've been doing more research.

Dany kindly loaned me his NU-X B2 2.4G wireless, which has been fun to use... and much better than the Lekato. Thanks bro! :thumbup: They both sound different to cable (more compressed)... it's prolly just the way it is. I had a NADY VHF 20-something years ago which as I recall sounded pretty average... not sure how the more spendy newer models change the toan?

Also... NU-X had an informative blog about 2.4G design, pros and cons etc. I really like the look of the dual 5G/2.4G Shure GLXD16+, so convenient having receiver on a pedalboard. Prefer beltpack-and-cable to an all-in-one transmitter/plug. (Nostalgia from crackly VHF glory days!). I'm still a little uneasy about Wifi radio, but I haven't actually tried any wireless live in this band yet. A couple of our horns already use cheapo Wifi radio mics... so it might be safer going UHF.

First port of call however is replacing is cabled IEM. Currently I use a feed from the desk, cabled in a Behringer P2 belt pack. So I'm currently attached to two cables! Just love in-ears now, no going back. If this became wireless I'd enjoy a lot more freedom... not for showboating of course. Really this is about GAS.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

I can't recall the compression thing, but I do seem to recall it's a tad brighter than cable. It's been many years since I compared them. Did you manage to try it out at a gig or practice?

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

codedog wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:03 pm I can't recall the compression thing, but I do seem to recall it's a tad brighter than cable. It's been many years since I compared them. Did you manage to try it out at a gig or practice?
Oh yeah, idk bro just how I would describe it compared to cable I guess... and a bit brighter? Not bad, just a little different is all. And tried it a practice on Tues... crazy cool how tiny they are! 8)

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

Cdog wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:44 pm
codedog wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:03 pm I can't recall the compression thing, but I do seem to recall it's a tad brighter than cable. It's been many years since I compared them. Did you manage to try it out at a gig or practice?
Oh yeah, idk bro just how I would describe it compared to cable I guess... and a bit brighter? Not bad, just a little different is all. And tried it a practice on Tues... crazy cool how tiny they are! 8)
That's cool. It's a nifty wee thing! I never expected it to be amazing. It's purely convenience for me and my cloth ears :thumbup:

FuzzMonkey
Gibson
Has liked: 514 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by FuzzMonkey »

Cdog wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:58 pm Hard to know what to believe with 'reviews' online. Is anyone using wireless systems live?
Are there any actual honest review online these days? Or is every review just somebody being paid to shill whatever product put in front of them?
"There's no creativity without vulnerability."

www.fantailaudio.com