Gonna get me a firebird - a Gretsch Jet Firebird!!!

Gear Aquisition Syndrome is a serious disorder.... FX etc

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

raz
Hagstrom
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Gonna get me a firebird - a Gretsch Jet Firebird!!!

Post by raz »

This means I'll have to be trying to intercept the courier before the missus sees anything in about 2 weeks time.

But isn't she bee yoot eee full!!!! I've wanted one of these long time. I reckon Firebirds are sex on a stick.

Last edited by raz on Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

AmpShop
CustomAudioThingz

Post by AmpShop »

Oh yes!

I love my Black Phoenix, but I'm really keen to add a Jet of some description to my collection ...

I always loved the look of a '57 with a white pickguard - the perfect combination of aesthetics for me ... although I'd pick Filtertrons over DeArmonds.
THE AMP SHOP LTD
Boutique Amplifiers, Guitars & Effects
Repairs, Modifications & Custom Work
http://www.ampshop.co.nz

raz
Hagstrom

Post by raz »

CustomAudioBoutique wrote:Oh yes!

I love my Black Phoenix, but I'm really keen to add a Jet of some description to my collection ...

I always loved the look of a '57 with a white pickguard - the perfect combination of aesthetics for me ... although I'd pick Filtertrons over DeArmonds.
Like this one in Oz? - 6 hrs to go
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0056597959

Show us some photos of the Phoenix mmmmm drool
I've got a 62 Tenny, not a reissue, two Clippers ('60 & '64 - both projects) and now the 'bird. Gretschezes are hot.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Oh man, I thought u were meaning a Gibby Firebird... that would be some very neck heavy sex on a stick... :D
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Optimus_prime
Tokai
Tokai

Post by Optimus_prime »

are the basses similar in the neck department?

I wouldn't mind a white firebird bass, sex

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

Not too sure, but I'd imagine so, if not worse, what with the bass neck scale being longer and all...

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

Optimus_prime wrote:are the basses similar in the neck department?

I wouldn't mind a white firebird bass, sex
I must say, OP, this may be the only post of yours that doesn't automatically leave people scratching their heads in confusion... A straight question, you're losing your touch, man :P

Optimus_prime
Tokai
Tokai

Post by Optimus_prime »

well I tried with the whole sex thing at the end

maybe this is the new me

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

Dude, that is fantastic. I have a TV Jones equiped Anniversary which I have started playing most weekends...Gretsch make a fine instrument. I also thought you meant Gibson Firebird...which is of indeed sex on an even longer stock. If I had to choose though the Gretsch is the way...so, is this an ex eBay purchase? end sex
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Timi
Gibson

Post by Timi »

Finally someone on here with a tasteful purchase!

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Looks smegging nice mate!!

I too thought it was going to be a Gibby and thought - oh no, another muso fooled by the name ... but no! Lo and behold, a ray of sunshine!
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

raz
Hagstrom

Post by raz »

Funnily enough I didn't even think of the gibbo when i wrote the title, another fine gat I'm sure, but not a Gretsch Firebird

I didn't get this one off ebay - it was a private arrangement - mutually beneficial and a steal at the price - not telling how much, but way less than the 3.5k buynow a guy has his black Jet on TM for.

Ebay has become a lot less fun now that there are "investors" looking for old gats. Pity.

Jono
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Jono »

Go man go! Love my Gretsch's, love my Jets... there's a nice Jet on tm at the moment actually... but its not red!

raz
Hagstrom

Post by raz »

Well that was one of my weirdest buying experiences.

This was arranged off ebay through the Gretsch Discussion pages - the guy is a frequent contributor all and seemed fine. I paid him the money by paypal and off he goes to the US Post Office.

Now if any of you have done any importing and buying off ebay, you might know the USPS is the most inconsistent fucking postal service in the world. I think they issue random length rulers to each branch. I've also heard from different sources that max length is 49", 46", 42" and 36" or that's what they were told at the local PO.

Anyway at the PO he's told it's too long. Now this is where it gets weird. He goes home and promptly refunds my paypal payment, in full I might add. Then sends me a couple of emails saying he's done it.

I don't get the emails for a day or two because Xtra's email service is on the blink so I get a bit peeved and perturbed when I see him readvertising it on the GDP. Then I check paypal and discover his refund, so at least I know I'm not out of pocket.

So I email him back a couple of times asking what ahappened and why on earth he didn't offer to it via UPS or Fedex - He's never replied.

All in all one of my oddest experiences, I've run into probs with USPS before but usually have been able to find an alternative means of shipping if it was absolutely necessary - Hell the Firebird was only going to cost me $1300 NZ - I would have been happy to shell out extra for shipping in a pinch.

Disappointed but not out of pocket.

Jono
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Jono »

A word of advice?

The 57ri model has just been closed out for 2006. Apparenlty a new "OMG BETTER IMPROVED" model is coming.

Either way, there are a few left floating round smaller retailers on closeout for $1000 US. Look for one of those, you may have some luck. :)

Best - Jono