Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

denden
Tokai
Tokai
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1 time

floyds and such...

Post by denden »

ima looking for a backup guitar for my hm squier. I took a look around and kinda narrowed down the selection. im probably only going to have up to $1000 to spend.

the selection is as follows:

schecter daimien FR ($799)
Jackson DX10 ($799)
ESP M200 ($699)
Dean ML Explorer ($999, plays nice but looks like arse)
and a Aria Mac 45 ($499)

now, funnily enough, the aria is the best playing of the lot, followed by schecter/jackon and then the ESP. Im sure the ESP just wasnt setup. I played a couple aria mac 45's and they all sounded and played exactly the same, which happened to be very nicely. Now im kinda scratching my head. I like the aria the best outta the lot but im weary as to whether or not its hardware and such is going to last. The floyd worked nicely and held tune relatively good. Floyd rose wise the best bridge was on the schecter.

cant... make... up... mind.

anyone had any experience with aria, or any of the above guitars? im thinkin get the aria and chuck emg's (active of course) in it with the rest of the dosh i have left over.

i dont think ill even consider the dean because.... well... it looks like arse... that and it says dean on the headstock (the very large headstock)

Ill see if i can find another ESP to play as thats the only one thats neck thru body, the rest are bolt ons...

BAH! need oppinions!

Denden
Last edited by denden on Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

denden
Tokai
Tokai

Post by denden »

aria: http://www.ariaguitars.com/int/03_produ ... ac_45.html

oh, and yes, it does absolutely have to have a floyd rose :P

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

Go with what plays best. Floyds can be replaced down the line if need be.
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

^^^ what he said. ^^^

You want the best-playing instrument you can get your grubby mitts on, the rest is more easily modifiable/replaceable
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

oh, and I've now looked at the Aria in the link you posted. Freakin sweet, as Peter Griffin would say. 8) Very nice looking machine. It'd definitely have my vote, as it looks gravy, you said it played the best of those you tried, and it was the cheapest - leaving more dosh for upgrades (in my mind any guitar requires upgrades unless it was completely custom to begin with ;) ).
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

Of those, I've only ever played the Jackson and the Dean (for about five minutes in the cRockshop). So I'd put them in this order, going on looks alone...

Schecter Damien FR
Jackson DX10 (reverse headstock 8) )
ESP M200
Dean ML Explorer (not a big fan, but...)
Aria Mac 45 (... that feeble headstock looks Warehouse to the max)

But really, what Vorbis said.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

I wouldn't touch a licenced FR under $1500 other than an Edge equipped Ibanez. The cheapo ones wear out way too quickly.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

denden
Tokai
Tokai

Post by denden »

yeah id probably go with the aria... if the floyd shits itself it can just be replaced... And the aria im lookin at is in a colour i can only describe as bumble bee sunburst :twisted:

muahaha

wouldnt mind the schecter though, but its not worth the extra $300 in my oppinion. Rather take that dosh (and then some) and equip the aria with some active emg's

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

ash wrote:I wouldn't touch a licenced FR under $1500 other than an Edge equipped Ibanez. The cheapo ones wear out way too quickly.
A $1500 LFR is a tad expensive, don't you think :P :P

I have no problems with the JT580 on my Jacksons, they keep in tune well. However the arm does tend to get loose easily, more so on the newer ones than the older ones, I've heard.

Haha, sales pitch - I have various Kellys that might be for sale soon if anyone's interested. Need to clear space for new toys. :D
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

denden
Tokai
Tokai

Post by denden »

slash-ed wrote:
ash wrote: Haha, sales pitch - I have various Kellys that might be for sale soon if anyone's interested. Need to clear space for new toys. :D
Oh! oh! oh! me! me! me! #flails arms around in the air#

kellies are nice :) played one at rockshop ($1299) and it was just as nice (if not more so) to play than my fully set up squier (which has an actuall floyd and has action from 'nam). The wookie dissapproves though, something about point geeetars he dont like... meh... What price would you be looking at?

bc_rich_
Ashton
Ashton

Post by bc_rich_ »

Dean ML Explorer ($999, plays nice but looks like arse),

What are you, gay??
Metal up your ass bitches.

denden
Tokai
Tokai

Post by denden »

if im gonna compensate for something im not gonna do it with a massive arse headstock located on a dean... heh

but seriously now. that sh#t is HUGE

bc_rich_
Ashton
Ashton

Post by bc_rich_ »

well a mans headstock is associated with his manlyness.
Metal up your ass bitches.

denden
Tokai
Tokai

Post by denden »

bc_rich_ wrote:well a mans headstock is associated with his manlyness.
im still small and boyish lookin so i think ill stick with a nice pointy six aside headstock...