Gear Aquisition Syndrome is a serious disorder.... FX etc

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Cochise
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

wah pedal

Post by Cochise »

Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on which wah takes the cake. I have only owned a morley classic and I didn't much like it, it destroyed my tone when on and not in use (I know many pedals do but I couldn't work with this...). Anyone know of a pedal that will preserve my tone enough that i can leave it in the upright position and just rock on it when I desire? I am also after a clean transition, I hate it when the classic jumps from "off to on" and it is like a bomb goes off instead of a continuous, fluid change in tone. Any thoughts would be appreciated, cheers

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

You want to leave it heel down when not using it?? Isn't that abit strange...

Morleys should be good for you since they are optical and activated by movement (IIRC).

I dunno, I like having my wah sound like a bomb going off when I switch it on... :D
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Cochise
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Cochise »

slash-ed wrote:You want to leave it heel down when not using it?? Isn't that abit strange...

I dunno, I like having my wah sound like a bomb going off when I switch it on... :D
Maybe the bomb analogy wasn't quite right, it didn't work for me anyway...
:)
I more want to be able to take it from heel down (or heel up for that matter) and sweep through without there being a point where the tone changes drastically with the slightest movement of the pedal

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

Do you mean the "step" in the middle of the wah sweep?

I thought all mechanical wahs had that.

Not sure about optical ones, again that sounds like your solution.

Dunlop 535Q is great if you're into tweaking( I'm not!). You can get whatever you want out of it.
Last edited by slash-ed on Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cochise
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Cochise »

slash-ed wrote:Do you mean the "step" in the middle of the wah sweep?
That might be what i am on about. I will just go in and try a few but I thought I would see if anyone had a favourite I could start with

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Many moons ago when dinosaurs ruled and Rog had his first precision bass there was a wah pedal that was activated by twisting the foot from side to side instead of by up/down pedal. It had a sort of circular plate on top with rubber disk on it and you put the toe of your shoe on it and rotated/twisted it round to get a wah BUT you had to remember to twist it back (and damp the string) as there was no return. You could leave it at any point and it was fairly smooth.

Alas with the passing of years, too much booze and not enough drugs, my mind draws a blank as to the maker's name but it would be about mid/late 60's. Perhaps Rog knows????
You can't do THAT on stage!

sopachrga
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by sopachrga »

I know what you mean, and every wah I have tried had it...

BUT the one wah I have found that is actually perfectly smooth, was the wah built in to my boss GT3 multieffects unit, which is a shame, cause don't use the unit very often.
Ummm....

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

Yes, I noticed this as well with my GT6, thus my suspicion that it is a mechanical thing. It doesn't really bother me, I'm not looking for "subtle" when I step on my wah. :wink: