Fatness

Gear Aquisition Syndrome is a serious disorder.... FX etc

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Pakehendrix
Big Muff
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Fatness

Post by Pakehendrix »

Howdy y'all, I'm looking at acquiring a new guitar in the (hopefully near) future.

I'm mainly looking at the Eastwood reissue/replica of the Ovation GP, it's here at the Poolside Studios website....
http://www.poolsidestudios.co.nz/produc ... d=Ultra-GP

From what I've read and heard, it's awesome. But I'm also wondering about similar guitars in that price range (under $1400).

Basically I want H/H, set neck, fat LP type sound. I don't really want an LP, I would like something a bit different. Any suggestions? So I don't have to go to the Rockshop and rely on their advice...

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

some sort of PRS fit the bill?
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Ibanez SZ, SV, SZR, AR, ARX, ARC or AX.
Ash Aurum Special, oops, just sold it.
Radian LP jr, needs the second HB for your needs though...
Last edited by ash on Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Fernandes Ravelle? I can help you track one down if the shape suits you. The specs are pretty much LP all the way.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Pakehendrix
Big Muff

Post by Pakehendrix »

rocklander wrote:some sort of PRS fit the bill?

If only I had the money, I think they're pretty expensive aren't they?

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

there's 'inexpensive' ones, but I'm not clued up wnough to judge if they're any good.. course a pair of hands and ears may tell you that ;-)
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

Pakehendrix
Big Muff

Post by Pakehendrix »

slash-ed wrote:Fernandes Ravelle? I can help you track one down if the shape suits you. The specs are pretty much LP all the way.

Thats a pretty sweet looking guitar...they have them in Music Planet's shop I think....

Pakehendrix
Big Muff

Post by Pakehendrix »

rocklander wrote:there's 'inexpensive' ones, but I'm not clued up wnough to judge if they're any good.. course a pair of hands and ears may tell you that ;-)
That's true. Thanks for the suggestion, I will add PRS to the list of things to check out

sgt mukuzi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sgt mukuzi »

prs cant do a les paul, its the wrong scale length
it can do fat telly but not lespaul,
sambrowne wrote:I've included things like chord voicing’s and musical terminology for those that can understand it, while trying to keep it accessible enough for fans to enjoy as well.
You are a hypocritical, whining bitch. F*$k off and die Anthony.

rocklander

Post by rocklander »

ah. ok. so the scale changes the tone?
(sorry if that's a stoopid question).
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

sgt mukuzi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sgt mukuzi »

rocklander wrote:ah. ok. so the scale changes the tone?
(sorry if that's a stoopid question).
yea for sure, i have tried to get lester tones from prs in the past but all you can get are fender type tones, i get better blues type tones from robs old godin as it is the same length as a les paul YMMV
sambrowne wrote:I've included things like chord voicing’s and musical terminology for those that can understand it, while trying to keep it accessible enough for fans to enjoy as well.
You are a hypocritical, whining bitch. F*$k off and die Anthony.

Crazy Horse
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Crazy Horse »

I've owned both (PRS and les pauls) and they definitely can do les paul (albeit with less low end) as well as offering strat sounds - that's the point of the things! Some are better than others, usually it comes down to the pickups - the Dragon II's sound like shit but the HFS/Vintage Bass pickups (found on Custom 22, Custom 24 and standard 24 but NOT on standard 22, which has the hated Dragons) sound killer (they are very like a Gibson's stock pups actually). You should be able to get a PRS on TM for the same sort of price as a Gibson LP standard. They're not cheap but they're great guitars and will hold their value. My mate has a Custom 24 10 top which he bought for $2500. It's the best "do-it-all" guitar I've come across.

DarcyPerry
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by DarcyPerry »

"It's all a gift... and I have to keep giving it back, or it goes away. If I start believing that it's all my doing, it's gonna be my undoing." - Stevie Ray Vaughan
http://www.darcyperry.co.nz

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

All those LP Specials are probably made of plywood... The first V is overpriced, and the second V is the same auction :D :D
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

r4nd0m
Ashton
Ashton

Post by r4nd0m »

The Ibanez Musician are quite close to the looks of the Ovation GP (sadly so does the Ibanez ARX). I prefer the Ibanez AXS. I got one heavily discounted (AXS42TKF) bacause it is discontinued. The PRS SEs are well built for less than a grand.