LP Wiring Help

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

LP Wiring Help

Post by slash-ed »

Hello resident experts and helpful people,

I'm trying to diagnose the pesky ungrounded-noise hum that has been bothering me on my LPC. It was there before I swapped pickups so I'm pretty sure I didn't wire them in wrong... 90% sure :lol:

Anyway, I have a few questions about what I'm seeing in the guts of it:

As per that diagram, the differences I'm seeing are:

1. The capacitors are bridging the vol/tone knobs in lieu of the wire as per diagram, instead of being on the tone pot. Is this normal, and is this going to be affecting things in any weird way?

2. There doesn't seem to be a ground wire coming from the bridge. However, there is this big central grounding plate which all the pots are sitting on - is it likely (I'm too lazy to take it all off and see) that the bridge is ground to this, on the underside?

3. And wrt to grounding plate, should all the pickups etc be centrally ground to this? The pickup selector is, but I've just ground the pickups to the back of the volume pot as per normal. Is this maybe causing some weird ground loops or something?

Yup, I think that's all for now. As for the hum I'm getting, it goes away when I touch pickup hardware (ie the adjustment screws) but from memory I don't think it goes away when I touch the bridge.

Thanksola!
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

zdali
Ashton
Ashton

Re: LP Wiring Help

Post by zdali »

Strip it and start from scratch :-) This may help too.

Everything, including the bridge should be grounded to the plate.
CustomAudioBoutique wrote:and all "so I tied an onion to my belt; that was the style at the time" persons involved are cordially invited to shampoo my crotch.

mahtone
Squier

Post by mahtone »

I'm not an expert on LP's as such...

Does it stop buzzing when you touch the strings? If so it is this.

With the cap, are you saying it is wired from the tone centre lug to the volume lug that is soldered to its case?

Where is the cold side of the jack wired to?

Pics would help!
MrSooty wrote: Yes, I have lost much saliva over that one. I can't bring myself to try it though, it'll either ruin the illusion for me or make me want to sell my children.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

slash-ed wrote:
1. The capacitors are bridging the vol/tone knobs in lieu of the wire as per diagram, instead of being on the tone pot. Is this normal, and is this going to be affecting things in any weird way?

2. There doesn't seem to be a ground wire coming from the bridge. However, there is this big central grounding plate which all the pots are sitting on - is it likely (I'm too lazy to take it all off and see) that the bridge is ground to this, on the underside?

3. And wrt to grounding plate, should all the pickups etc be centrally ground to this? The pickup selector is, but I've just ground the pickups to the back of the volume pot as per normal. Is this maybe causing some weird ground loops or something?

Yup, I think that's all for now. As for the hum I'm getting, it goes away when I touch pickup hardware (ie the adjustment screws) but from memory I don't think it goes away when I touch the bridge.

Thanksola!

The bridge needs to be grounded to either the volume pot of the central ground terminal. Ideally everything should earth to that terminal, but it is almost never done that way on Les Pauls.

Having the tone caps wired between the pots is the standard Gibson way, but the SD way is common on other brands.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand