Theory on killing single coil hum

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Theory on killing single coil hum

Post by mr_sooty »

I stumbled across this while reading peoples posts on the pros and cons of the whole 'star gounding' idea. I've done the sheilding and star grounding found at GuitarNuts.com before, and while I found it helped a little, I figured it was probably more due to the sheilding than the star grounding. I was searching other peoples experience with this, and stumbled accross this post:

There is a new method of thinking within the idea of "star grounding" that has proven very beneificial to noise issues in guitars.

years ago Some engineer decided that "Ground" should be "everywhere" in a circuit thereby making it easy to wire only the "hot" signal.

but, by looking at the "ground" as another completely seperate signal and trying to "force" it to travel a specific path within the layout of the circuit, you can make any shielding in the circuit become more "active" so to speak.
this is not an easy concept to explain without showing it . so I will leave you with an example to ponder.

Imagine a strat with full shielding. connect all the pickup grounds to the back of the vol, pot as per "normal" .
now, without altering anything else in the circuit, move the output jacks ground wire from the pot back, to the sheilding on the floor of the cavity, and make sure that the guitar will only work when the guard is fully screwed in it's normal position...

your "forceing" the ground signal to flow through the sheilding to even get to the output jack. this mod alone can drop another 6Db in noise if done correctly.

and if you want a Strat to be completely silent. lift all the pickup grounds with a .005 Cap. this will give a notch filtering effect in the low mids. but it will leave your highs alone. and there wil be NO hum at all.

This sounds rather interesting. I'd be perfectly willing to give it a go just for experimentation's sake, but of course I've now got noiseless pickups in my Strat again and I've just sold my old ones. Anybody willing to give this a try and report their findings? I'm dying to know if it works.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2483 times

Re: Theory on killing single coil hum

Post by Slowy »

Interesting, agreed. I star ground an shielded my Strat and it really is quiet; not just for a Strat either. Not sure I really want to undo it all for an experiment so I'll see if anyone else is game first.

Now who has some tips on how to make a Tele behave?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

What are these single coils ye speak of?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2263 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

slowfingers wrote:Now who has some tips on how to make a Tele behave?
*cough*
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by alanp »

Dimarzio noiseless pickups? Works for me.
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

BG wrote:
slowfingers wrote:Now who has some tips on how to make a Tele behave?
*cough*
I realise it's an oxymoron............
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mr_sooty »

alanp wrote:Dimarzio noiseless pickups? Works for me.
Yeah well that's what I've got now too, but I'm really curious about this idea. Seems a heck of a lot easier than the whole star grounding operataion.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

mr_sooty wrote:
alanp wrote:Dimarzio noiseless pickups? Works for me.
Seems a heck of a lot easier than the whole star grounding operataion.
Resoldering 4 wires vs purchase and installation of new pups?

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

slowfingers wrote:Interesting, agreed. I star ground an shielded my Strat and it really is quiet; not just for a Strat either. Not sure I really want to undo it all for an experiment so I'll see if anyone else is game first.

Now who has some tips on how to make a Tele behave?
Fender SCNs
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mr_sooty »

Ignoring the whole idea of noiseless pickups - which is of course one way of killing hum - as a sometimes guitar tech I'm curious about the idea above. I have done the star ground wiring before, and it's a little fiddly, you're changing quite a bit of the circuit, and I'm not sure if it does a whole lot. But this appears to be a slightly different take on the concept - it claims to kill ALL single coil hum, and only requires a couple of simple mods if you've already done the sheilding. If it worked, it would give you the option of using any single coil pickup you like, which would be advantageous for those of us who like to argue the differences between Fat 50's and CS 54 single coils but can't stand the associated noise issues.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2263 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

I'm a bit perplexed by it. Why would you want to force a signal through shielding? A ground signal is even more intriguing. The 6db is a pure bullshit call. The idea behind star grounding is to kill any ground loops - its a completely different scenario as to what the shielding is for.
As I understand it YMMV etc.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

BG wrote:I'm a bit perplexed by it. Why would you want to force a signal through shielding? A ground signal is even more intriguing. The 6db is a pure bullshit call. The idea behind star grounding is to kill any ground loops - its a completely different scenario as to what the shielding is for.
As I understand it YMMV etc.
A wild guess born of dangerously little knowledge: If you force the signal through your shielding foil, aren't you creating a Faraday cage which, if I understand correctly, is a very efficient type of shield?

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1358 times
Been liked: 2097 times

Post by GrantB »

All this talk of hum in single coils...really, is it this bad? I played Strats for decades before I become ill with them and never suffered from all this hum that I see regular posts on (and we had big lighting racks back then - pre LED days). Sooty, are you sure you haven't sort of become overly obsessive about this? Maybe the whole suburb where you live has dirty power or something? I know where we record the power is hideous...everything hums there (amps, humbuckers, bass guitar, monitor systems, me humming when taking a pee). Not ideal. Maybe you have the same problem?

The solution might be to move.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

I can see the Real Estate agent now.... "That's right, I need a house with clean power"
:lol:

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

Suhr's contract with Illich over the backplate noiseless system is finishing up and ol' Husky is working on his own version now. He reports that he's developing a much smaller system that will fit inside a strat's control cavity. Sayin'...
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?