What's a good pickup for a P-Bass

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

zdali
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: What's a good pickup for a P-Bass

Post by zdali »

I got a P bass with a SD Quarter Pounder (SPB3) and a PJ with an SPB1. You're welcome to come and have a punt on both :-)
CustomAudioBoutique wrote:and all "so I tied an onion to my belt; that was the style at the time" persons involved are cordially invited to shampoo my crotch.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 675 times
Been liked: 574 times

Post by TmcB »

Righteo, here be the clips.

This is going straight into a Tc Electronic Konnekt and then into Logic. No Eq, effects, anything, just the straight signal.

I play 3 segments, 1st is fingerstyle, tone up. 2nd is Picked, tone up. 3rd is fingerstyle tone down. I have reasonably new roundwound strings on.
Bass is an 03' Fender Precision, all stock barring pups.

Here's the Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder
QP Fender P Bass.mp3
(2.48 MiB) Downloaded 221 times
...And the Nordstrand NP4
NP4 Fender P Bass.mp3
(2.48 MiB) Downloaded 248 times
Hope that's useful to you in some way.

EDIT: Sorry about the occasional topping out on the QP, there's a buttload of output and I didn't compensate enough for it going in
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

snitchez
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by snitchez »

ash wrote:All split P-bass pickups are hum cancelling, so no worries there.

For you tastes, Nordy or Antiquity.
I'm due another Norder-order soon, if that helps.

If budget is a consideration, the SD Vintage. I have a Model P handy but it's probably not your bag.
I like the SD Quarter Pound too and the Rio Grande beast is probably somewhere between that and vintage.

oh yes the rio grande was pretty amazing. i was pretty stoked by it as far as i remember. can't remember what i liked about it tho/

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

tonymcbony wrote:Righteo, here be the clips.

This is going straight into a Tc Electronic Konnekt and then into Logic. No Eq, effects, anything, just the straight signal.

I play 3 segments, 1st is fingerstyle, tone up. 2nd is Picked, tone up. 3rd is fingerstyle tone down. I have reasonably new roundwound strings on.
Bass is an 03' Fender Precision, all stock barring pups.

Here's the Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder
QP Fender P Bass.mp3
...And the Nordstrand NP4
NP4 Fender P Bass.mp3
Hope that's useful to you in some way.

EDIT: Sorry about the occasional topping out on the QP, there's a buttload of output and I didn't compensate enough for it going in
Great stuff, thanks!

The NF sounds very balanced and musical. The QP is much woolier and deeper. My instinct is to go for the NF, but I could easily see the QP working really well for rock and soul/afrobeat.

...the more I listen to it: I hear the NF as a really nice P Bass tone, but I hear the QP as what I'd actually eq a bass track to sound like. Inch-arresting.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

TmcB
I may have a problem

Post by TmcB »

Yeah, that's the thing about these two.

You can make the NP4 fit anywhere because it's a nice P Bass tone, and that means it's really flexible. Part of me wishes it was a bit more aggressive but you can always eq that stuff in.

The Quarter Pounder is a pickup that you need to suit to the type of music you're doing because it might not fit everywhere.

I will make one point here; the Quarter Pounder sounds nice by itself to my ears as well.
However, it tends to disappear in a live setting, as I found out last night at practice. My drummer complained that it was lacking in clarity and sometimes he found it hard to pickup and I was having the same problems. That's mainly to do with the scooped mids the QP has.

I think the QP suits my Warwick so much better so I stuck it in there; it sounds great! Quite a lot like old Incubus (unsurprising as it's the same pickup in the same model bass.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Hot_Grits »

tonymcbony wrote:Yeah, that's the thing about these two.

You can make the NP4 fit anywhere because it's a nice P Bass tone, and that means it's really flexible. Part of me wishes it was a bit more aggressive but you can always eq that stuff in.

The Quarter Pounder is a pickup that you need to suit to the type of music you're doing because it might not fit everywhere.

I will make one point here; the Quarter Pounder sounds nice by itself to my ears as well.
However, it tends to disappear in a live setting, as I found out last night at practice. My drummer complained that it was lacking in clarity and sometimes he found it hard to pickup and I was having the same problems. That's mainly to do with the scooped mids the QP has.

I think the QP suits my Warwick so much better so I stuck it in there; it sounds great! Quite a lot like old Incubus (unsurprising as it's the same pickup in the same model bass.
My bandmate certainly does not disappear in the mix with his QP. But he is very forceful with the volume knob.

snitchez
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by snitchez »

Hot_Grits wrote:
tonymcbony wrote:Yeah, that's the thing about these two.

My bandmate certainly does not disappear in the mix with his QP. But he is very forceful with the volume knob.
then again. he is quite forceful with most things isn't he :)

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

FWIW, in the mid '70s I changed out my Fender pickups for DiMarzio and was very happy with the change. Bear in mind that a deep V EQ was the way things were back then.

A few years ago, I found my original Fender pickup set and thought I'd try them out to see if they still went etc. I was blown away by how much better than the DiMarzios they were. The DMs went into the P bass I gave to my son and my '72P now has its original pupset in and to my ears, sounds so much nicer for it. I gave the pup set out of my son's bass to sgt mukuzi. Since Adrian stripped and refinned the '72P with nitro, it sounds even better. It really does. I think the combination of a nitrocellulose finish (instead of the poly), original Fender pups and a flatter EQ have all worked together to produce a great vintage tone from the old beast.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

I can't help with bass sounds but I am addicted to quarter pound Pups......I have 3 at the mo, although only one is wired up......from a guitar point of view they are warren demartini in a box (from detonator onwards). I rarely use the bridge pick up for solo's anymore because it just sounds thin...........

as you were :roll:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Hot_Grits »

willow13 wrote:I can't help with bass sounds but I am addicted to quarter pound Pups......I have 3 at the mo, although only one is wired up......from a guitar point of view they are warren demartini in a box (from detonator onwards). I rarely use the bridge pick up for solo's anymore because it just sounds thin...........

as you were :roll:
I have very fond memories of a quarter pounder neck pickup I had many years ago. Er, as I was...

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Hot_Grits wrote:I have very fond memories of a quarter pounder neck pickup I had many years ago. Er, as I was...
well at the next gearfest that we are both at i'll let you relive those fond memories if you like :lol: 8)
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 415 times

Post by dayl »

Tony, those clips sound great to the ears of a bass noob anyway.

They the Nords are as you say, sweet and smooth, the SD sounds like it has that extra attitude.

Nice.

sonicfantom
Ashton
Ashton

Post by sonicfantom »

Is it just me, or do Quarter Pounders sound kinda scooped? Hmm.

If I only had a Precision, I'd use the Nords for their versatility. Seeing as I already own one bass, I don't want them sounding too similar, I'll take the Quarter Pounders.

I think a big part of the reason why aftermarket pickups sound "better" is placebo effect, or the different tone. I can see why people buy Quarter Pounders, they're hot and have a big emphasis on the bass side of things. But TBH, I reckon some of the "better" sound comes from the "this-isn't-the-stock-Fender-pickup-and-it's-therefore-way-better" idea.
Rog wrote:FWIW, in the mid '70s I changed out my Fender pickups for DiMarzio and was very happy with the change. Bear in mind that a deep V EQ was the way things were back then.

A few years ago, I found my original Fender pickup set and thought I'd try them out to see if they still went etc. I was blown away by how much better than the DiMarzios they were. The DMs went into the P bass I gave to my son and my '72P now has its original pupset in and to my ears, sounds so much nicer for it. I gave the pup set out of my son's bass to sgt mukuzi. Since Adrian stripped and refinned the '72P with nitro, it sounds even better. It really does. I think the combination of a nitrocellulose finish (instead of the poly), original Fender pups and a flatter EQ have all worked together to produce a great vintage tone from the old beast.
My point exactly. Then again, you'll never know which pickups you like better if you don't try them first.
slash-ed wrote:Sigh it's bullshit that we have to live in a world where tortoiseshell isn't real tortoise shell, zebra pickups aren't made from zebra, and the Dusk Tiger is a goofy ass guitar, not a goddamn ninja tiger that appears only at dusk... to eat your FACE. :(

TmcB
I may have a problem

What's a good pickup for a P-Bass

Post by TmcB »

Yep, bang on, they ARE scooped.

I'm not so sure about the placebo effect though, a change of pickups effects a bass' sound considerably as you can tell from this comparison. Whether the amount of money you pay is equal to the tonal improvement is another story.

I'd assume that after market pick ups are more consistent in giving you a particular sound as more care is taken in the winding to achieve it. Mass market pups are wound to suit the masses so it may be your cup of tea or not. Overall it's the control you get that sets after market pups apart. It's all about achieving the sound you're after; a lot of people are chasing the vintage dragon thus fralins and nordies are popular and they do sound 'classic'. Quarter pounders are at the top of the heap for a modern sound. Waffle waffle waffle

bluesbass
Gibson

Post by bluesbass »

Hot_Grits wrote:What's a good pickup for a P-Bass
Anything that makes you sound (and groove) like Duck Dunn!

8)
The opinions expressed in the post above may differ from the opinions expressed by other people with different opinions.