Cheap pickups in general

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

pete_currie
Squier
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: Cheap pickups in general

Post by pete_currie »

I've got some tonerider humbuckers. I got them off trademe a few years back for $59 each.
They sound pretty good to me.

Guitarparts sells them now:
http://www.guitarparts.co.nz/cart/resul ... er&x=0&y=0

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 257 times

Cheap pickups in general

Post by Capt. Black »

Seriously, have you thought about why you want hotter pickups?
They'll drive your amp harder but you can't un-drive an amp. So you're stuck with it. It might be that a clean boost or mild overdrive is gonna do the same job for you and keep versatility you might otherwise lose.

The consensus in the thread so far seems to be that you can get some nicer sounding pickups if you have the cash. But it's not like yours sound bad, do they?
Without trying to burst your bubble, I get a sense you want to change for the sake of it. IMO a pedal is a better idea that should at least be tried first.
:)

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 867 times
Been liked: 276 times

Post by calling card »

I've got Kent Armstrong Sky pickups in my partsocaster, I love it just the way it is. My homebuilt tele has a RioGrande Dirty Harry in the bridge, it's hot, maybe too hot but thats just that axes personality. Just stumbling along with my happy mistakes.
I drink cheap beer, bourbon & wine and fill the car with 91 octane :D
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 645 times
Been liked: 815 times

Post by hamo »

What are you looking to replace, and why? When I replaced the pickups in my Epiphone it was because the stock ones just didn't sound tight enough to me. I wasn't necessarily after "hotter", but "tighter" was a requirement. Are you in the same boat?
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

Capt. Black wrote:
ztikmaen wrote:...
Well what would you recommend for somebody on a tight-ish budget?

A hotcake.
nah I heard we are getting ripped off here with those :P
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Cheap pickups in general

Post by Capt. Black »

druz15 wrote:
Capt. Black wrote:

A hotcake.
:D

SammyD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SammyD »

hamo wrote:What are you looking to replace, and why? When I replaced the pickups in my Epiphone it was because the stock ones just didn't sound tight enough to me. I wasn't necessarily after "hotter", but "tighter" was a requirement. Are you in the same boat?
Agreed, when I changed the pickups in my Epi it sounded like I had taken a blanket off my amp, the stock pups were very bland. Now it sounds beautiful clean and if I wanna get dirty I turn on the distortion/OD. I got a set of dimarzio's, PAF Joe and Air Norton, can't compalin about them (except they hardly get used now because of the purchase of my Radian Tele)

Remember that you can always sell the PU's you take out of your guitar as well so it bumps up your budget, people always bid up PU's on TM no matter how crap they are :lol:
If I was of the ilk to place quotes in signatures ... this would be in mine. - NZRS-Dave

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Cheap pickups in general

Post by Capt. Black »

Oh I just realized the op was looking at humbuckers as well as tele pickups. I think there's a much bigger range of options that can make more significant differences in humbuckers than with tele single coils.
I don't know why that is. Maybe because the nature of HBs is two coils partially canceling each other out?
So while I still say a pedal can do a lot more for your sound, I'd definitely say yeah, there's big improvements to be had with HBs.

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 161 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

druz15 wrote:
Capt. Black wrote:

A hotcake.
Yeah, cheaper even with postage from the States :wink: :mrgreen:

On topic: Have a 3-pickup deluxe Tele and can fully, utterly recommend the Dimarzio Area T bridge pickups. I went for the Area-T rather than the Hot Area-T. Fantastic clarity/bite you'd expect from a Tele brige, but more ballsy and (perhaps best of all) ultra quiet with gain and completely silent when clean.

Same guitar has a Rio Grande Vintage Tallboy Super Classic in the neck, with protruding poles like a strat pickup, but chromed finish like a trad Tele :) - I messed with it for along time trying to find the right height to set it at, ... didn't like it for awhile but I think it's grown on me. It's quite a bassy pickup, but not muddy as it has a very clear open treble on it... sort of Fender Blackface styled EQ in a pickup. Has that glassy Tele neck thing when you dig in.

There's a Seymour D Vintage Stack humbucker in the middle position too, but I really don't like it. Been wanting to try a Tonerider P90 in my other Aerodyne Tele :) Anyone tried them?

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

I have HB sized tonerider p90s in my tokai... I like them.. but what would I know?
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

SammyD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SammyD »

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Dream-90-Hu ... c_275.html

Go for these bro! Who cares what they sound like if they look kewl.....
If I was of the ilk to place quotes in signatures ... this would be in mine. - NZRS-Dave

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Post by rocklander »

SammyD wrote:http://www.guitarfetish.com/Dream-90-Hu ... c_275.html

Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

SammyD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SammyD »

:lol: :lol:

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Post by Ironbird13 »

SammyD wrote:http://www.guitarfetish.com/Dream-90-Hu ... c_275.html

would need a huge guitar to put them on though....
These are expensive custom made pickups- We offer here Gorgeous THREE FOOT DEEP Black Mother of Pearl bonded to a real Fiber Bobbin - Black Electrocoated surround and nickel adjustable polepieces.
:shock:
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Post by Ironbird13 »

oh and i've got a matching MOTS pickgaurd (strat ish) if any ones interested :lol:
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.