Suhr Pickups

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 415 times

Suhr Pickups

Post by dayl »

Hi Guys,

I am close to getting my new strat completed and have already got a set of Fender custom shop pups out of a Robert Cray sig strat which I grabbed because of the great reviews I heard about them (with the exception of the slightly weak bridge) but I have also heard a lot of great things about the Suhr pups and have my eye on a set of Vintage 60's.

Any feedback regarding these? I know Blackstratblues has a set of the FL's?? I think? what do you all reckon?

Cheers

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Suhr Pickups

Post by ash »

I haven't heard the single coil ones yet, but the humbuckers are AMAZING.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 662 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

I haven't tried the pickup outside of a Suhr guitar, but I will tell you this, every Suhr I've played has sounded incredible.

blackstratblues
Gibson
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by blackstratblues »

The FLs are the best single coils ever. And I've been through quite a few. They're fat and yet have plenty of chime and detail without sounding harsh. I also had the V60LPs but the FLs are definitely an improvement.

blackstratblues
Gibson

Here's a clip of the FLs if that's of any help.

http://www.netmusicians.org/files/78-FLs.mp3

Zorran
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Zorran »

one of warrens friends had a suhr custom with the vintage 60s and upgraded to the FLs..and yep theyre better than the 60s. best single coils ever. the only pickups that come close are joe bardens.
95 PRS McCarty, 97 PRS SAS, Reverend Manta Ray 290, Squier 20th Anniv Strat, Squier Classic Vibe Tele, Jap Epi LP, Suhr/Joe Barden/BKPs.
Axe FX,Peterson Stroborack, Line 6 Echo Pro

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

How would you describe the Suhr Aldrich humbucker Zorran ?

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by dayl »

Damn, those FL's sound like a buy I have heard good things about the 60's though, potentially a big difference in price too is this goes ahead.

$600 ish for the FL's is out of my price range and I'm not good enough to say I use the best pups lol...just pretty good pups haha

blackstratblues
Gibson

dayl wrote:Damn, those FL's sound like a buy I have heard good things about the 60's though, potentially a big difference in price too is this goes ahead.

$600 ish for the FL's is out of my price range and I'm not good enough to say I use the best pups lol...just pretty good pups haha
Well if you look hard enough on The Gear Page classifieds, you should be able to pick up a set pretty cheap.

I just had a look on eBay and this looks pretty reasonable:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Suhr-FL-Fletcher-La ... 1|294%3A50

Zorran
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Zorran »

robnobcorncob wrote:How would you describe the Suhr Aldrich humbucker Zorran ?
hey rob.. id say they have an obvious 'rock voicing'.. but they are clear as. you can hear every single string when you play 6 string chords and its the opposite of an emg 81 in that respect which makes 6 strings sound like 1 string... with white noise. the aldrich also has a ton of harmonics in the mids.. very pleasing to the ear.. and tight bottom end and agressive tops make for great chugs. its almost as tight as an 81 on the chugs without the tradeoff of everything else sounding lifeless. very dynamic. even though it rates at 17k it sounds and cleans up and reacts more like 13. best rock humbucker ive used alongside the bareknuckle crawler.

actually scratch that.. theyre horrible pickups that sound like cardboard. i want to have the only sets in nz hahaheheheohohoh.
95 PRS McCarty, 97 PRS SAS, Reverend Manta Ray 290, Squier 20th Anniv Strat, Squier Classic Vibe Tele, Jap Epi LP, Suhr/Joe Barden/BKPs.
Axe FX,Peterson Stroborack, Line 6 Echo Pro

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 662 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Can I just comment, Zorran, your rig is awesome!

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

Zorran wrote:
robnobcorncob wrote:How would you describe the Suhr Aldrich humbucker Zorran ?
hey rob.. id say they have an obvious 'rock voicing'.. but they are clear as. you can hear every single string when you play 6 string chords and its the opposite of an emg 81 in that respect which makes 6 strings sound like 1 string... with white noise. the aldrich also has a ton of harmonics in the mids.. very pleasing to the ear.. and tight bottom end and agressive tops make for great chugs. its almost as tight as an 81 on the chugs without the tradeoff of everything else sounding lifeless. very dynamic. even though it rates at 17k it sounds and cleans up and reacts more like 13. best rock humbucker ive used alongside the bareknuckle crawler.

actually scratch that.. theyre horrible pickups that sound like cardboard. i want to have the only sets in nz hahaheheheohohoh.
Cheers for that. Cardboard you say? been there, done that (EMG 81 -> 5150 :shock:) mmm Aldrich gas...

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by dayl »

blackstratblues wrote:
dayl wrote:Damn, those FL's sound like a buy I have heard good things about the 60's though, potentially a big difference in price too is this goes ahead.

Well if you look hard enough on The Gear Page classifieds, you should be able to pick up a set pretty cheap.

I just had a look on eBay and this looks pretty reasonable:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Suhr-FL-Fletcher-La ... 1|294%3A50

Yeah mate, they are reasonably priced considering the reviews they receive, same with the fralins.
Still too much for me at this stage, considering I already have the pups for my new gat sorted.

Still, the good news is that I just picked up a set of the V60's for NZ$310 approx delivered which is still pretty sweet considering how s++t the dollar is right now.

Looks like I may be building another gat, I've just put on my red bands rubber boots for the tyre kicking.