humbucker combinations? uses?

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: humbucker combinations? uses?

Post by ash »

I think so.

The whole f-spaced vs std-spaced drama is way overblown in my opinion. The effects are far smaller than we are led to believe. Creative pole adjustment can mitigate much of the sonic difference. It just doesn't look right to some.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

I have a standard-spaced Breed in the bridge position of my S470, and an F-spaced one in my custom. There's no problem in the S470 - such as, I dunno, losing volume when you bend, or different string volumes or something? Anyway, the Super Distortion I've had in my old Samick strat and now in my Samick Warlock (you need the power of a Super Distortion to mitigate the samickness of a samick :P ) is also standard-spaced, and similarly I never noticed a problem

... except that it doesn't look perfect - so I insisted on an F-spaced one for my custom (sorry Ash ;) )
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

Ears
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Ears »

ash wrote:I think so.

The whole f-spaced vs std-spaced drama is way overblown in my opinion. The effects are far smaller than we are led to believe. Creative pole adjustment can mitigate much of the sonic difference. It just doesn't look right to some.
I was looking at some stock strats yesterday. The strings lay over bridge pups OK but were way out on the neck poles.
They've been building guitars for 60 years and makes you wonder why they can't improve on that.
"The piano is a monster that screams when you touch its teeth". - Andres Segovia

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 253 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

Just to add my 2c, I've got coil-tapped setups on two of my guitars - the SG GT has tapping on both the humbuckers and my Tele has a coil-tapped Lil'-59 in the bridge.

The tele single coild sound of the Lil'59 is passable but I think it sounds better in HB mode.

The neck single coil sound in the SG is very nice for clean rhythms and with both HB's selected and tapped in single mode, it's actually very Strat sounding.

Coil taps are cool ideas, but as Ash said, you are never going to get a 'true' single coil sound - the idea of it works on paper, but somehow doesn't translate out completely 100% in practice. Regardless, my favourite setup is to have the neck on the SG set for single coil for clean rhythm playing and the bridge set for HB mode for dirty lead and heavier riff playing.

Certainly allows for a versatile sound from your guitar.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

dylan
Gibson
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by dylan »

my 2 humbucker jackson has pull pots for phase switch and paralell/series on the bridge pkup.

i really like the 2 humbuckers out of phase sound - its good for scritchy funk playing, and i can go from distortion to allmost clean just using the pickup selector. arent lots of classic guitar sounds made by adding huge gain to a tiny out of phase signal?

wakka/wakka/scritcha/scritcha/plinky plunky plunk!

ive been watching the "stop making sense" concert heaps lately - damn that session guy on rythm guitar is one funky ass player!
:evil: Mids so haunting that demons took over my living room and now my guitar glows! :evil:

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

The Scarecrow wrote:Coil taps are cool ideas, but as Ash said, you are never going to get a 'true' single coil sound - the idea of it works on paper, but somehow doesn't translate out completely 100% in practice.
This is as close as you can get...
http://www.guitarparts.co.nz/cart/Detai ... ProdID=519
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Cabb
Tokai
Tokai

Post by Cabb »

So is that two single coils wound individually placed together and wired together? Didn't PRS do something like that on one of their models, had 7 pickups or something arranged HSH.

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

I've got a Gibson LP recording with low impedence hb pups and one of the most complex switiching system you've ever seen - out of phase, in phase, decade switch (caps believe it or not like a variatone), impedence low/high, seperate bass/treble rolloff, seperate tone switch(??? God knows has positions 1, 2 and 3). No coil splitting though - - anyway most combinations suck and it's a pain to recall the decent settings so I suggest simple might be best -the combinations are simply not worth the effort.
You can't do THAT on stage!

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

I heard that humbuckers are obselete now that the world best sounding low impedance SC pickups have been "invented" and built right here in NZ.
They even come in a chromish looking HB housing with built in EFFECTS!!.
Sure glad I don't have stocks in DiMarzio or Seymour Duncan, my stock would be worthless soon as the great kiwi pickup storms the planet heralded by the virtuoso endorsee. :mrgreen: