Noiseless pickups

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7748 times
Been liked: 4188 times

Noiseless pickups

Post by jeremyb »

So... how noiseless are noiseless pickups? the stock humbuckers on my ESP are quite buzzy if you turn the volume and tone up full (is there any other position??), how much of a difference would it make changing out the pickups? and what would be a good replacement for a bridge humbucker for metal?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Noiseless pickups

Post by ash »

jeremyb wrote:So... how noiseless are noiseless pickups? the stock humbuckers on my ESP are quite buzzy if you turn the volume and tone up full (is there any other position??), how much of a difference would it make changing out the pickups? and what would be a good replacement for a bridge humbucker for metal?
'Noiseless' is just a new buzzword for stacked single coil sized humuckers. They're no more noiseless than conventional humbuckers, sometimes less noiseless... so to speak. :lol:

Whether swapping out the stock humbucker would reduce hum (frets buzz, pickups hum) depends on where the hum is coming from in the first place. It could be a sheilding or earthing problem, the design of the pickup (not all humbuckers will buck hum equally).

I could type out a list of 80 worthy metal humbuckers, but at or near the top of the list are SD Blackouts, especially when it comes to signal/noise ratio.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7748 times
Been liked: 4188 times

Post by jeremyb »

Ahh cool, what do people do normally to reduce all the noise that a humbucker seems to make when you're not playing anything, apart from turn the volume down.... :mrgreen:

What do the SD blackouts retail for out of interest?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Use less gain ;)

Blackouts aresomething like $190 alone or around $350 for a pair around these parts.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

jeremyb wrote:Ahh cool, what do people do normally to reduce all the noise that a humbucker seems to make when you're not playing anything, apart from turn the volume down.... :mrgreen:

What do the SD blackouts retail for out of interest?
Noise gate?
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Ears
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Ears »

Kinman's work a little differently. Firstly the two coils are termed differential because one is for noise only, this is slightly different from standard and stacked humbuckers and other companies also do this, but Kinman claims to have magnetically isolated the much smaller noise sensing coil from the signal coil claiming significantly increased performance.
I'd attach the patent documents and drawings but the site won't accept pdfs.
"The piano is a monster that screams when you touch its teeth". - Andres Segovia

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

The SCN's in my old American Deluxe HSS Strat were far quieter than the Humbucker in the same guitar. They were totally noiseless from what I could tell. My current Strat's Dimarzio Areas might pickup laptop noise, or other extreme interference, but they're still quieter than the mini-humbuckers in my Reverend.

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

Anyone ever experimented with a low impedence balanced line?? I was thinking guitar mounted minature transformer (say 7k primary the pups network feeds into and 400 ohms centre tapped secondary) and another identical transformer at the amp with the 7k side feeding into the amp. The idea being the centre tap gives an earth shield for twin pair coax connecting the two shorting out the audio frequency hum etc the twin wires pick up while the xformed signal will be so powerful it would effectively hide any remaining noise. I undersand Les Paul does this sort of thing so he can run long lines in clubs near neon etc without problems but I've never got around to experimenting myself.

The other thing I wonder about comes from the opto isolator - basically an led coupled to a phototransisor - the idea being the guitar is electrically isolated from the amp thus avoiding nasties that can happen in places like the US where the amp and the mike's ground switches are flipped to opposites and you get 240volts across the hand on the guitar and the hand on the mike. Now if the cable was fibre optic and the led was on the guitar, the transistor at the amp you could avoid picking up noise on the cable run although you'd still have any noise inherent in the pups (ie what they pick up in their coils).
You can't do THAT on stage!