Pickups out of phase, worth it?

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Cabb
Tokai
Tokai
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: Pickups out of phase, worth it?

Post by Cabb »

...And so presumably you end up with two quite different sounds on single pickup settings, but by having the middle setting you are effectively 'mixing' up a sound which is two different sounds blended - more or less.

Either way, I thought Brian May's use of it was borrowed from Green anyway? They sound like the same idea anyways.

I went with regular wiring, what BG said is pretty much exactly what Adrian told me.

Ears
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Ears »

I might have put Tsuken wrong with my comment about one magnet. I realised a minute or two after the post that only one maget used in the PUp, hence I added the edit ("doh"). It's also why I want to draw it all out - to see what effect this field reversal has on noise and signal etc when used with another PUp. Normally when applying "out of phase" to a/within PUp it's the electrical cct that is altered, not the magnetic cct, or in the case of the two PUps in the single coil combination sounds of a strat both are changed (reverse winding/reverse polarity) to achieve hum cancelling as well.
"The piano is a monster that screams when you touch its teeth". - Andres Segovia

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

Jimmy Page could get some cool out of phase sounds...on my 355 because it was stereo initially, when I used a non stereo set up the p/ups were out of phase (one had to use different amps, or the special Gibson amp that came with the guitar which had discrete channels running o/phase)....all I did was turn that magnet around and fiddled the output to mono and Bob's my Uncle...out of phase was cool for about 2.5 minutes
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

managed to dig out a recording I did of merry go round and put it online at our myspace site - http://www.myspace.com/midnightbluesbandnz should give you an idea of the out of phase tone ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 857 times
Been liked: 276 times

Post by calling card »

Hey sweet I enjoyed the tour of MBB page. 8)

I never listen to what anyone says & just go do the mods(and made a lot of mistakes) - you soon find out what you'll get.
I tried out of phase and in series bridge & middle on a strat - man it was thin & gutless. Next wired it back to in phase/series - it's a good boost, sort of thicker/darker sounding too.

In my case it's strat 5 pos' switch and the addition of a small toggle switch that shifts the pickups bridge/middle into series. Just suck & see, ya get good at cranking the strings on & off too when something don't go right.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

calling card wrote:Hey sweet I enjoyed the tour of MBB page. 8)
Well it has got a version of Calling Card on it ;) Recorded at the Dogs Bollix with a belly full of kilkenny :lol:
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 857 times
Been liked: 276 times

Post by calling card »

Yeah gotta love that song, my evolving version usually runs on fuel too...

ok back to topic :wink:
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

RuBear
Gibson

Post by RuBear »

thanks all for opinions, need to get home and listen to the links, and some more queen and green. Its gonna be vvt control setup, so I will have the 2 vols.

What is everyone recommendation on how to do the option should I end up wanting it? extra 2 way switch? push/pull (Adrian has already warned me of these being generally lower quality compared to normal) or making my pickup selector more complicated (might require a 5 way, which would mean that a selection would be spare, and I have no real need for another option)

I just think that hitting a chord and fiddling with a vol knob would be pretty fun, get it wavering from nasaly to straight pickup

Any other artists that anyone specifically remembers using out of phase?

Cheers
Ok I got rid of my Foal quote, but I found a new one.
foal30 wrote:some 80's metal makes me want to dress up like a woman, just like they did back in the day.
is this sort of what you mean?

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Frey wrote:I did the magnet flip the other night, just got it wired back up with the tone pots hooked up 50's style. Sweet. Sounds appreciably better than electrically out of phase.
awesome, you're quite right - definitely different :)