Pickups out of phase, worth it?

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

RuBear
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Pickups out of phase, worth it?

Post by RuBear »

I'm debating with ash over my heilos pickup options, a while ago I decided on each bucker having a 3-way switch for series/parallel/single coil. My latest question was wether its worth having the option to the pickups out of phase with each other. Note: I mean two pickups out of phase with each other, not one humbucker with each coil wired out of phase with each other. Adrian says he doesn't find it useful and I have little to no experience with it.

What do you guys think? It would probably mean I would have to change the 3-way pickup selector to a 5-way, or else add another switch to the guitar, which is kinda annoying when it already has 3 3-ways, but at the end of the day I want to be able to access any settings that are useful to me.

So my question is, do you think an in/out phase switch is worth it/usable? In particular Capt. Black and Tsuken your opinions would be great.

Cheers,
Rupert the Beer
Last edited by RuBear on Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ok I got rid of my Foal quote, but I found a new one.
foal30 wrote:some 80's metal makes me want to dress up like a woman, just like they did back in the day.
is this sort of what you mean?

sopachrga
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 59 times

Re: Pickups out of phase, worth it?

Post by sopachrga »

I'm not on your list but anyway.

I've got my humbucker wired like that on my RG,
It's basically useless. Sounds completly tinny and nothing like a single coil.
I can't see anytime that you would actually use the sound, I would just go for coil taps.
Ummm....

Pakehendrix
Big Muff

Post by Pakehendrix »

+1.

I had one with all the funky switching and out-of-phase sounded arse. So did my friend's guitar, and also one of the teachers at the music school...it either sounds arse, or no different to coil tap (if you're very lucky).

RuBear
Gibson

Post by RuBear »

sopachrga wrote:I'm not on your list but anyway.
I wasn't meaning that anyone elses opinions were unwanted, just that ash recommended them as people who had the option on their guitars.

Is your humbucker wired so that each of its coils in out of phase with each other? or that the pickup as a whole is out of phase with another pickup, I'm asking about the later. (I'll now go and make this clearer in the first post, its kinda ambiguous)
Ok I got rid of my Foal quote, but I found a new one.
foal30 wrote:some 80's metal makes me want to dress up like a woman, just like they did back in the day.
is this sort of what you mean?

sopachrga
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by sopachrga »

Mines wired so I can make my bridge humbucker out of phase with the single coil next to it.
Ummm....

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

yeah sounds like arse unless you know who Peter Green was....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Ears
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Ears »

I once read the reverse phase of one HB was an unintentional wiring mistake on Green's guitar. Doesn't matter, it obviously allowed some sort of option. I have two questions,
1 Was it the two coils in one HB that were out of phase or was a whole unit out of phase with the other HB?
2. As he probably used different combinations which specific songs feature the out of phase option?
"The piano is a monster that screams when you touch its teeth". - Andres Segovia

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Ears wrote:I once read the reverse phase of one HB was an unintentional wiring mistake on Green's guitar. Doesn't matter, it obviously allowed some sort of option. I have two questions,
1 Was it the two coils in one HB that were out of phase or was a whole unit out of phase with the other HB?
2. As he probably used different combinations which specific songs feature the out of phase option?
Most sources attribute it to his guitar tech accidentally flipping a magnet in one of the humbuckers, no-one can agree whether it was neck or bridge. So the whole pickup was 'out of phase' magnetically rather than electrically, the end result is essentially the same, though subtly different I feel having tried both ways.

Most people don't understand the effect and most people who think its useless don't have a guitar like a LP with two vol control knobs. When you're in mid position you control the amount of phase by varying one or other vol controls. Yes thin and nasally when you only have one vol control.

Many of his recordings use the effect, but he varies a lot between pickups so its tricky until you start listening for it. Track down Merry Go Round, it stands out a mile at the start of the track and other places, its probably the most obvious track I can think of off the top of my head.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Ears
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Ears »

Thanks for that.
One magnet only? (edit: Doh!)

I'm going to have to go away and draw a diagram of the coils and re-apply the fundamentals of HB operation. Unfortunately I have to go over it periodically as for some reason it never sticks in my head. You know; how the string signal adds but the interference cancels cause only one of the two depends on the magnetic field etc. Using right hand currrent rules and stuff. Doh.
"The piano is a monster that screams when you touch its teeth". - Andres Segovia

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

oh and of course he put it in back to front too, with the adjustable pole pieces the wrong way round - though that makes absolutely negligible difference on tone.

Ears
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Ears »

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

:| Everyone seems to be talking about wiring the two coils of a humbucker out of phase with each other. The OP expressly said that's not what he's asking about. He's considering having two the option of two pickups out of phase with each other - like Brian May's guitar, or Satriani's ...

I have the option on my Ash guitar, and it will be on my next as well. I think it's a great sound, and well worth putting in. It can be quite nasal and thin, but often in a useful way: sharpening and cleaning up a tone for a different sort of effect.
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Tsuken wrote::| Everyone seems to be talking about wiring the two coils of a humbucker out of phase with each other. The OP expressly said that's not what he's asking about. He's considering having two the option of two pickups out of phase with each other - like Brian May's guitar, or Satriani's ...

I have the option on my Ash guitar, and it will be on my next as well. I think it's a great sound, and well worth putting in. It can be quite nasal and thin, but often in a useful way: sharpening and cleaning up a tone for a different sort of effect.
erm, no, thats not what I'm talking about - two humbuckers out of phase with each other either magnetically or electrically.

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

BG wrote:
Tsuken wrote::| Everyone seems to be talking about wiring the two coils of a humbucker out of phase with each other. The OP expressly said that's not what he's asking about. He's considering having two the option of two pickups out of phase with each other - like Brian May's guitar, or Satriani's ...

erm, no, thats not what I'm talking about - two humbuckers out of phase with each other either magnetically or electrically.
ok, not you :P

I must have misunderstood though; you were talking about one magnet being flipped in one pickup - ie it's a within-pickup change. But you're saying it's actually the combination?

I disagree about needing two volume controls for the out of phase sound to be useful though - unless you're talking specifically about Peter Green's jobby. I've only ever had one volume control on my guitars, and had plenty of out of phase-ness, and loved it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFNxOQ_8Uxs - I start with bridge and middle in series and out of phase, and at 1:10 I flick them in phase.
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

well there is only one magnet in your usual paf style humbucker, its just flipped round so that north becomes south and vice versa. So now that humbucker is magnetically out of phase with the other humbucker. With two vols it becomes much more interesting and tonally exciting as you balance the vols against each other the phasing changes so you get much much more versatile options. Otherwise its just the regular nasal twang ;)