Pickup recommendations for my tremonti se

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

matman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 49 times

Pickup recommendations for my tremonti se

Post by matman »

Ok, I listened to everyone and left my Iceman in tact and bought a new guitar instead. I'm enjoying the tremonti a lot (though the chunkier neck has taken some getting used to) plays great, weighs heaps less than the Iceman and it sounds great through my little giant half stack. I was, however, expecting it to have a bit more grunt than the stock pups provide (I find myself gravitating to blues/classic rock sounds when I was expecting something a bit more hard rock). I've found a place in the states that will sell me the PRS tremonti bass/treble set that's in the actual factual PRS Tremonti proper for $330 shipped and I'm thinking seriously about doing it (especially since I got such a good deal on the guitar itself). The reviews for those seem pretty good and it works out at less than half the price of getting them brought into NZ by the PRS distributor. Does this sound like the way to go or are there some other options that I should consider? I've never changed my pickups before so I'm not even sure how much difference in sound I should expect.
"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away" - Tom Waits

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Pickup recommendations for my tremonti se

Post by ash »

1. PRS pickups have a sketchy reputation. Certain models are well hated. Not sure if those are among them.
2. I suspect the USA Tremonti pickups aren't much different in flavour than the Korean Tremonti clones. Just a bit nicer tasting.
3. Parallel importing to save a few bucks is so uncool.
4. DiMarzios, most SDs, some Rios and Ash pickups would be cheaper, possibly better and certainly more predictable in the tone department.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

matman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by matman »

ash wrote:1. PRS pickups have a sketchy reputation. Certain models are well hated. Not sure if those are among them.
2. I suspect the USA Tremonti pickups aren't much different in flavour than the Korean Tremonti clones. Just a bit nicer tasting.
4. DiMarzios, most SDs, some Rios and Ash pickups would be cheaper, possibly better and certainly more predictable in the tone department.
Thanks heaps Ash, if I couldn't entice you to post on this thread, I was going to pm you anyway :wink: and that's the sort of information I was after. In regard to #3 it was actually more like saving $385 and 3 months of waiting that made the parallel importing attactive - even the distributor said that they had real problems getting PRS parts/accessories in a decent time and at a decent price and that online would probably be my best bet.

The main reason I was looking at the US made tremontis is that that's what he uses in his and I like his sound. The total cost would be $315 for both pick ups and shipping- do you have any recommendations for specific combinations within that price range? I was thinking something pretty hot and crunchy for the bridge - able to handle some chunky, scooped out detuned riffery and pinch harmonics well - and something sweet and mellow for the neck.
Having said that, it's looking like the SE is going to be my main guitar from now on so I don't want to turn it into a one-trick-pony.

ZOMBIE EATER
Stagg
Stagg

Post by ZOMBIE EATER »

SD JB/59 set? I think around the $320 mark from ash. Heaps of guitars at shops with that combo you could try. If that is too common look at the SD site for some variations on that basic combo. Thats probably what I would go for in that sort of guitar. SD black outs would be pretty chur too.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 663 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

matman wrote:
The main reason I was looking at the US made tremontis is that that's what he uses in his and I like his sound.
Have you seen the guys rig though???? That dude is one anally obsessive gear junky, there's a lot more to his sound than just the guitar/pick-ups. Plenty of awesome pick-ups around that would blow your socks off, I would at least do some serious investigation and Ash badgering (he really knows his stuff with pick-ups, his recommedation for me was 100% spot on) before jumping in with PRS gear.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by Basket Case »

I used to own one, they're great guitars, but being all Mahogany (or whatever close cousin they use) it's very dark and bassy. The trick is finding pickups that will balance it out. I gave up trying to use mine for gigs because I would have my amp set up for my other guitars, then when I switched to the Tremonti it was way too boomy.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 417 times
Been liked: 1017 times

Post by bender »

I have a Rio Grande Buffalo/Genuine Texas set in my Robin and I reckon that's a pretty killer combination. Both pickups sound great either clean or dirty and are super clear. The Buffalo isn't super grunty so you could go up a step with each and get Genuine Texas in the neck position and a BBQ bucker in the bridge. Mine are pretty bright and snappy for humbuckers too so they might be a good choice for a darker sounding axe.

I really rate the Rios but there are heaps of options in the SD or Dimarzio range that would work for you too.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 807 times

Post by hamo »

ZOMBIE EATER wrote:SD JB/59 set? I think around the $320 mark from ash. Heaps of guitars at shops with that combo you could try. If that is too common look at the SD site for some variations on that basic combo. Thats probably what I would go for in that sort of guitar. SD black outs would be pretty chur too.
This is what I would have said too, it's probably a fairly standard first call to go JB/Jazz or JB/59. I want more people to buy Blackouts though - I rate them highly.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

matman wrote:
ash wrote:1. PRS pickups have a sketchy reputation. Certain models are well hated. Not sure if those are among them.
Thanks heaps Ash, if I couldn't entice you to post on this thread, I was going to pm you anyway :wink: and that's the sort of information I was after. In regard to #3 it was actually more like saving $385 and 3 months of waiting that made the parallel importing attactive - even the distributor said that they had real problems getting PRS parts/accessories in a decent time and at a decent price and that online would probably be my best bet.

The main reason I was looking at the US made tremontis is that that's what he uses in his and I like his sound. The total cost would be $315 for both pick ups and shipping- do you have any recommendations for specific combinations within that price range? I was thinking something pretty hot and crunchy for the bridge - able to handle some chunky, scooped out detuned riffery and pinch harmonics well - and something sweet and mellow for the neck.
Having said that, it's looking like the SE is going to be my main guitar from now on so I don't want to turn it into a one-trick-pony.
IIRC I have a set of PRS #7s in my Singlecut, they're awesome. Huge chunk and balls.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

matman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by matman »

Thanks everyone - keep the recommendations coming if you can - you've given me some stuff to think about but I'm definitely still undecided. I was looking at a SD jazz/JB set when I was looking at changing the pups on my Iceman and it sounds like that might be an option here but I just don't know enough about these things. If it helps my fave rhythm sounds are tremonti & EVH when distorted and hendrix or John frusciante for clean (yeah I know those guys have single coils) but with less treble. Fave lead sound is/was/and always will be Gary Moore...oh, and I love John Sykes for both too (though of course my playing sucks and I can't actually play anything like any of those dudes!) I'm not a big fan of anything that has lots of treble because my ears have always been sensitive to high frequencies (I used to be able to hear those ultrasonic thingies they used to keep the pigeons off the Dunedin and Invercargill town halls that only dogs and birds were supposed to be able to hear).
Last edited by matman on Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

slash-ed wrote:
matman wrote:

IIRC I have a set of PRS #7s in my Singlecut, they're awesome. Huge chunk and balls.
+1 the PRS #7 is a great pickup. The Tremonti is apparently a hotter version of the #7 model. Then again Ed's Singlecut probably sounds huge no matter what pickups are in it.

danrawkz
PRS
PRS
Been liked: 1 time

Post by danrawkz »

matman wrote:Thanks everyone - keep the recommendations coming if you can - you've given me some stuff to think about but I'm definitely still undecided. I was looking at a SD jazz/JB set when I was looking at changing the pups on my Iceman and it sounds like that might be an option here but I just don't know enough about these things. If it helps my fave rhythm sounds are tremonti & EVH when distorted and hendrix or John frusciante for clean (yeah I know those guys have single coils) but with less treble. Fave lead sound is/was/and always will be Gary Moore...oh, and I love John Sykes for both too (though of course my playing sucks and I can't actually play anything like any of those dudes!) I'm not a big fan of anything that has lots of treble because my ears have always been sensitive to high frequencies (I used to be able to hear those ultrasonic thingies they used to keep the pigeons off the Dunedin and Invercargill town halls that only dogs and birds were supposed to be able to hear).
not sure if a JB is what you're looking for if you're not a fan of treble. It also has a shitton of upper mids and can be quite harsh sounding.

you'd probably be better off with a distortion or custom as the high end is a bit more rounded off than the JB

matman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by matman »

I guess the main issue/question was whether the PRS tremonti pickups were any good because that's the only thing that's pushing the timeframe on my decision (they only have a couple left at that price). If the consensus is that another combination is likely to be a better fit with the sort of sounds I'm looking for I should look at something else then I guess I can take more time to think through my options.

DaNextSlash
Fender
Fender

Post by DaNextSlash »

Im actually selling a SD Custom as we speak. Not sure how it is in mahogany as I've always used in alder bodied guitars.
Hmmm....Its niiiiiice
I like

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

matman wrote:In regard to #3 it was actually more like saving $385 and 3 months of waiting that made the parallel importing attactive - even the distributor said that they had real problems getting PRS parts/accessories in a decent time and at a decent price and that online would probably be my best bet.
Fair enough then. I've heard distributors say the same. Unless they order the minimum the US factories will tell the local distributors to stick it.

JB/Jazz as a pair is much cheaper than anything else. I'd say they're in the ballpark for what you need, but I can't say it's a combo that gets me too excited. At $279 retail for the set, they're a hell of a bargain. Dimarzio Breed/Air Norton comes to mind as another goodie. Or the Norton/PAFJoe for a crunch/cream breakfast. $300 a pair for those.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand