Chemistry of the blend

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 857 times
Been liked: 276 times

Chemistry of the blend

Post by calling card »

I've just upgraded the project Tele's bridge pup with a RioGrande dirty harry P90 style. I haven't had much playing time, just a short burst... seems as you would expect powerful but a metallic kind of tone and inclining to roll on some more treble bleed. Sounded uber with the amp volume dialed up & playing dirty.
The blend with the 5k ceramic neck pup was disappointing, sort of thin & tin can sounding. Looks like I may have to upgrade the neck pup with something that'll work better with the 13.3K dirty harry bridge.

Anyone else messed with dirty harry and finding another pup that works with it, logically another P90 would be it I guess.
Last edited by calling card on Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Chemisty of the blend

Post by ash »

calling card wrote: The blend with the 5k ceramic neck pup was disappointing, sort of thin & tin can sounding.
Sounds like you have them out of phase with each other. If one of the pickups has two similar wires (as opposed to a braided or shielded ooutput cable), de-solder and swap the wires over at the switch and it should then be in-phase in the middle position and not sound like a tin-can telephone.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: Chemisty of the blend

Post by calling card »

Yeah that could be it, the tin can tone had me wondering if it's a phase thing. The Riogrande has black & white wires out, I wired white as hot, black to earth. The pickup is second hand, it had chopped short pvc insulated wire but the solder onto pup looked stock.
Oh well swap the wires around it is, see what happens.
The other X factor is I had the pup stuck by it's magnets to a large block of 50mm thick plate for about six weeks ( I remembered the story of artificially aging magnets). The neck pup had the same treatment but brought into commission earlier.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: Chemistry of the blend

Post by calling card »

Ah yes correct diagnosis from dr Ash, I lifted the bridge & switched around the wires where I had them spliced into the loom - looks wierd seeing black to white, white to black. Almost reluctant to fire it up again thinking it might get worse but no twas a thing of beauty!
Now thats how I imagined the P90 should sound...V8 power under the hood of the tele now, the 800 squealing & roaring with much satisfaction. 8)