Best of the cheap pickups

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 644 times
Been liked: 810 times

Best of the cheap pickups

Post by hamo »

I noticed on TM that some dude's selling some pups from an entry level ESP LTD M50. That got me wondering: "would those be any better than the shitters in my Epiphone?"

So in your experience or by reputation, which are the best of the cheaper pups? Epi, PRS SE, ESP LTD etc, or any cheap aftermarkets?
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Re: Best of the cheap pickups

Post by alanp »

On a semi-related note... how good are the "Duncan Designed" pickups that come with the more high-end Squiers? Both of mine have got them.
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

Ears
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Ears »

alanp, judge your p-ups by how they sound to you, not on their price tag, label or what you are told about them. :D
"The piano is a monster that screams when you touch its teeth". - Andres Segovia

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by Basket Case »

I tried a Greg Bennett Samick once (the SG shaped one) which had "Duncan Designed" pickups in and thought they were pretty reasonable.

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by alanp »

Ears wrote:alanp, judge your p-ups by how they sound to you, not on their price tag, label or what you are told about them. :D
Yeah, I do just that, but...

It's fun to hear other people's opinions, you know? I like to add to what I know already, and if my ego gets propped up a bit then that's a bonus :)
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

IkeKrull
Ashton
Ashton

Post by IkeKrull »

I had duncan designed HB-103s in my schecter, replaced them with (funnily enough) even cheaper toneriders.

Actually i was happy with the stock pickups, thought i'd just try the tonerider P-90 in the neck position, and liked it so much i got the hot bridge 'generator' pickup as well. The HB-103s weren't bad pickups at all - but obviously neither of them was a P-90, and the tonerider generator definitely has more bite, output and clarity than the bridge HB-103.Its not night and day though - Could have left the HB-103 in the bridge and been happy.

Some people just won't be satisfied unless they have a brand-name 'real thing' set of pickups, so if thats an issue, might as well just wait till a deal comes up on some real seymour duncan/dimarzio/emgs or whatever, rather than trying to go for a 'small step up'.

Personally, i'm not enough of a tone-snob to be swapping pickups in and out every second week chasing some sonic holy grail, but definitely don't regret going P-90 in the neck position.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

hamo wrote:I noticed on TM that some dude's selling some pups from an entry level ESP LTD M50. That got me wondering: "would those be any better than the shitters in my Epiphone?"

So in your experience or by reputation, which are the best of the cheaper pups? Epi, PRS SE, ESP LTD etc, or any cheap aftermarkets?
Hamo, they'll probably be higher output than your stock Epiphone pickups but they probably won't suck much less.. :lol:

Try Kent Armstrong / SKY pickups, they're a bit characterless compared to Dimarzios or SDs, but I had a couple, and the KA Distortion really worked quite well. High output and clear, if not very unique. Funch has my old guitar with the KAs in it, not sure if he still has them or if he'd be keen on selling them off.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by hamo »

Thanks guys. TBH I'm not seriously considering going to the effort of swapping my stock Epis for anything that's not going to be a decent step up. I was really just interested in whether any of the stock or aftermarket cheapies were surprisingly good for what they are.

I've been steadily souring on the idea of upgrading the Epi pups, it just seems less and less worth it for a guitar I'm slowly going cold on.

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

I've got a LTD MH50...soon to be for sale. The pickups have some serious grunt, not great for clean tones...but very Metal :twisted:
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

mop
Fender
Fender
Been liked: 1 time

Post by mop »

The pickups in the tremonti were better allrounders compared to the ones in my viper 50. The bridge pup in the viper was pretty hot, as vorbis said good for metal/rock but not much else, the neck pup was shite from memory.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by hamo »

I seem to remember being able to get better pinch harmonics from the Tremonti than from the Epi Zakk Wylde's EMG HZs :lol:

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

hamo wrote: I've been steadily souring on the idea of upgrading the Epi pups, it just seems less and less worth it for a guitar I'm slowly going cold on.
This.

You need to sell that guitar and get something killer. :twisted:
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by hamo »

slash-ed wrote:
hamo wrote: I've been steadily souring on the idea of upgrading the Epi pups, it just seems less and less worth it for a guitar I'm slowly going cold on.
This.

You need to sell that guitar and get something killer. :twisted:
Best case scenario: I get robbed. :lol:

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

I used to think the second-tier aftermarket pickups had their uses, but after having done some back-to-back tests I reckon its a false economy to skimp. I'd recommend getting one really good bridge pickup rather than get a mediocre set.

Polishing a turd is at best going to get you a shiny turd, but probably just a smelly rag.

If it's a guitar you're over or plan to sell, a half-arse upgrade is wasted money.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

sgt mukuzi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sgt mukuzi »

ash wrote:
Polishing a turd is at best going to get you a shiny turd, but probably just a smelly rag.
sig`d
sambrowne wrote:I've included things like chord voicing’s and musical terminology for those that can understand it, while trying to keep it accessible enough for fans to enjoy as well.
You are a hypocritical, whining bitch. F*$k off and die Anthony.