Help me choose pickups

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: Help me choose pickups

Post by Ironbird13 »

hamo wrote:I'm leaning towards a Hunmbucker From Hell for the neck. I'm also considering a matched Evolution or Breed set.
you know that the HB from hell, is NOT a high out put PUp? its actually very low i find, got one in the neck of the Fubar, it does the strat tone pretty good, is real nice and smooth for leads i find, but doesnt like real high gain, still an awesome PUp, but doesnt sound as the name suggests :wink:

ps: i may be talked into parting with it for the right deal :wink:
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 807 times

Post by hamo »

Ironbird13 wrote:
hamo wrote:I'm leaning towards a Hunmbucker From Hell for the neck. I'm also considering a matched Evolution or Breed set.
you know that the HB from hell, is NOT a high out put PUp? its actually very low i find, got one in the neck of the Fubar, it does the strat tone pretty good, is real nice and smooth for leads i find, but doesnt like real high gain, still an awesome PUp, but doesnt sound as the name suggests :wink:

ps: i may be talked into parting with it for the right deal :wink:
Cool man. Yeah, I had heard that. I guess I was thinking more in terms of the bridge pup for most of that spiel, wanting a nice clean for the neck. It's also the one that the DiMarzio selector recommended me for the neck. I'm quite interested in what would be a good pairing for it in the bridge position.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Green Bastard
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Green Bastard »

I got a dimarzio super 3 recently in my 20th anniversary RG
had super distortions in the past and liked them, but the super3 had higher output and accoriding to the tone graphs had a touch more mids and quite a bit less bass, which is what i was after for my style of metal
and yeah. first impressions were very good, got better once i had a play around with my boosts and amp combo

rg is very different than a LP though, but being mahogony id say having less bass could work good as to tighten up the sound, kenny duncan has good prices on dimarzios, i was gonna order from the states but was only gonna be about $10 cheaper and a longer wait

not familiar with neck pickups so dont really know how it would match up with the HFH

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

hamo wrote:The DiMarzio pup selector recommends me the Super Distortion, D-Activator, PAF 36th Anniversary or Super 2 in the bridge. I'm leaning towards a Hunmbucker From Hell for the neck. I'm also considering a matched Evolution or Breed set.

Seymour Duncan options include the ever present JD/Jazz combo or an Alnico II set. The Custom 5/59 combination also seems popular.

Have at it!
I have both the super D and the super 2.....both are cool pick ups. The super D is darker sounding than the super 2. You might struggle to get much bottom end with the super 2 (or the super D for that matter). I have a match set of super D's and the neck one is great for the speed of light zakk thing. You won't get a clean sound out of either of them without splitting, but both sound nice when coil split (I have the super 2 split in the bridge position and the tones are very usable without getting to thin
My favourite dimarzio is still the tone zone...it just sounds fantastic in the malmsteen strat

Mr glyn has a bareknuckles nailbomb on tard me at the mo for $200 might be worth stretching $$ for.......I have a jb, the dimarzio's ....but the nailbomb just beats all of them
hamo wrote:Cool man. Yeah, I had heard that. I guess I was thinking more in terms of the bridge pup for most of that spiel, wanting a nice clean for the neck.
you will get exactly that from the HFH....it is what I have in the neck pos of the doubleneck 12 string side.......and it handles distortion pretty well 2....although I don't know what it would be like for shredding, its a bit hard doing that with 6 extra strings :lol:
Green Bastard wrote:kenny duncan has good prices on dimarzios, i was gonna order from the states but was only gonna be about $10 cheaper and a longer wait
talk to ash...his prices are the cheapest you'll get
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by hamo »

How do you reckon the Tone Zone would go in something like my LP? I was a bit underwhelmed by it in the Charvel So Cal to be honest. It felt underpowered in contrast with the Evo in the neck.

Green Bastard
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Green Bastard »

actually ive got a bareknuckle painkiller in one of my guitars that ive lost a bit of interest in, hit me up if you'd be interested in that. havent tried it in a LP, used to like it in my kramer when playing a different style, but the growl it has just isnt quite what im after now

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Post by Ironbird13 »

willow13 wrote:Mr glyn has a bareknuckles nailbomb on tard me at the mo for $200 might be worth stretching $$ for.......
this :wink: 8) thats damn cheap too for one of those
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7751 times
Been liked: 4191 times

Post by jeremyb »

I went custom-custom in the bridge cause JB's are quite trebly, and '59 in the neck for nice bluesy tones, pretty mint pairing I reckon, and cheap thru Ash!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

I'm kinda wondering whether you should just tough it out, save that money for awhile more and try and move to a better guitar straight off the bat eventually?

If you like Gibson Iommi's, there are quite often Epiphone Iommi models for sale on TM, which have those pickups stock. They usually go for $500-ish if you're lucky, that might be worth selling the Pirates guitar for :)

What sort of tones are you after anyway?
The DiMarzio pup selector recommends me the Super Distortion, D-Activator, PAF 36th Anniversary or Super 2 in the bridge.
Just from one set of search parameters? :shock: The Anni PAF reaaally doesn't seem like it belongs with those other guys...

Anyhoo - I just remembered, I have a D-sonic sitting in my office desk if you'd like to give that a trial run. I bought it on a whim and haven't really "past participle of get" around to putting it anything. If you liked it you'd be welcome to buy it, if you don't, at least I'll get an idea of what they sound like! :lol:
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

slash-ed wrote:Anyhoo - I just remembered, I have a D-sonic sitting in my office desk if you'd like to give that a trial run. I bought it on a whim and haven't really "past participle of get" around to putting it anything. If you liked it you'd be welcome to buy it, if you don't, at least I'll get an idea of what they sound like! :lol:
Do this.......DO IT :wink:
hamo wrote:How do you reckon the Tone Zone would go in something like my LP? I was a bit underwhelmed by it in the Charvel So Cal to be honest. It felt underpowered in contrast with the Evo in the neck.
Not really sure how well it would go with mahogany, probably better suited to alder...its one of the things that made the so cals even more tempting for me

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by hamo »

Cheers for the offers too guys, I'll think on it. I'm thinking longer term though, possibly to be buying round April. Also, my olds are passing through San Fran on the way back from the UK in Feb, so I might give them a birthday list... :D

It's a shame the pickup manufacturers don't do more sets. That would be much easier to communicate to the olds. The SD Hotrodded Humbucker set is good value at US$130, but I went a bit cold on that pairing after playing an ESP LTD EC1000 or something similar with them in it. Again, underwhelmed sums it up best.

I know that new pups aren't an instant leap into tonervana, but I've had instances where I've picked up a guitar with certain pups and just heard something that I liked, like the Iommi sigs or the Blackout that was in the Alexi 600 for a while.

Ed - I had considered trying to grab one of those TM Iommi SGs, if only to swap out the pups and then flick it on for whatever I could get for it. I have decided to persever with the LP for a while. It feels nice, stays in tune ok and has great sustain, but needs a good setup and the electronics are pants. I do actually want to try and make something out of it though, and if it turns out later that I'm on a hiding to nothing I'll get what I can for it and lick my wounds later.

What you're saying about a better guitar makes perfect sense, but talking it over with the missus, she's pretty opposed to me selling it. She'd rather I hung onto it and got another guitar later when the money situation is rosier. I'm all for that! But it'll be some time. In the meantime I'll see what I can do to improve my lot piece by piece. :D

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

hamo wrote:Cheers for the offers too guys, I'll think on it. I'm thinking longer term though, possibly to be buying round April. Also, my olds are passing through San Fran on the way back from the UK in Feb, so I might give them a birthday list... :D
oh in that case duncan RTM....pricey but mmmmmm demartini :lol: :lol: I'm very tempted to get one off ebay (or get adrian to clone it 8) )

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by hamo »

willow13 wrote:
hamo wrote:Cheers for the offers too guys, I'll think on it. I'm thinking longer term though, possibly to be buying round April. Also, my olds are passing through San Fran on the way back from the UK in Feb, so I might give them a birthday list... :D
oh in that case duncan RTM....pricey but mmmmmm demartini :lol: :lol: I'm very tempted to get one off ebay (or get adrian to clone it 8) )
Yeah, I'm trying to keep it reasonable. My olds are always pretty generous round Christmas and birthday, but I don't want to give them any unreasonable requests. The JB/Jazz set or DiMarzio Evos would cost them around US140, which would be comparable to what they might spend on me usually, but I'm not going to be asking them for a VM Superdelay or anything silly like that.