P-Rails / Pickup Dilemna

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Michael
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 110 times

Re: P-Rails / Pickup Dilemna

Post by Michael »

Frey wrote:They're probably trying to tell you that if you have emgs, you're doing it wrong.
To be fair, they'll be Blackouts :mrgreen:

Pakehendrix
Big Muff

Post by Pakehendrix »

Khann wrote:How well do active pickups interact with fuzz pedals? One of the fuzz pedals I have says it was designed for passive pickups. I didn't realise there would even be a difference when it comes to pedals.
It's to do with impedance and the headroom at 9 volts...my active bass really needs pedals running at 18V to keep some headroom, not that I could articulately explain the "why". A lot of the Ashdown pedals only work with passive basses, too. My thinking is that passive guitars come in at a lower level so 9V is fine, but if the signal comes in with 9V there's not much "room to move".

Rambling.

The point is, I haven't found any fuzz pedals that work well with active guitars but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

mop
Fender
Fender
Been liked: 1 time

Post by mop »

jeremyb wrote: I like the look of pickups with covers like the blackouts, dunno if I can be bothered with the whole active thing tho'....
Get some black plastic covers from guitarparts :idea:

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Pakehendrix wrote:
Khann wrote:How well do active pickups interact with fuzz pedals? One of the fuzz pedals I have says it was designed for passive pickups. I didn't realise there would even be a difference when it comes to pedals.
It's to do with impedance and the headroom at 9 volts...
It's to do with impedance and reactance.

The very simple fuzz pedals like the Fuzzface and possibly things like the rangemaster and some wah pedals interact with the capacitance and inductance of the cable and the coils in the guitar. Active pickups have a built-in preamp that buffers the fuzz from the coils, so the results aren't the same. These are the same reasons they sometime say to put the fuzz or wah first in the queue on your pedalboard. If you want to find out what will happen, put a buffer or buffered-bypass pedal in front of the fuzz and see how it sounds.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7762 times
Been liked: 4195 times

Post by jeremyb »

mop wrote:
jeremyb wrote: I like the look of pickups with covers like the blackouts, dunno if I can be bothered with the whole active thing tho'....
Get some black plastic covers from guitarparts :idea:
I've certainly been considering it, bit embarrassing to admit really! :lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7762 times
Been liked: 4195 times

Post by jeremyb »

What are the rio grande's worth Adrian?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.