Vintage Tele Stack

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2492 times

Vintage Tele Stack

Post by Slowy »

I've got Seymour Duncan neck Tele stack pickup in the mail. These things have 4 wires so you can play with phase and, I suppose, coil tapping.

I'm not interested in adding switches unless there is a real benefit. Has anyone ever played with one of these? Is there any useful difference in tones between in and out of phase?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

stuu
PRS McCarty
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 6 times

Re: Vintage Tele Stack

Post by stuu »

i have a lil 59 stack in my tele, whilst not vintage, coil tapping it has been handy.

Ash wired the guitar with a switch instead of a Tone knob - very tidy.

If you don't use the tone knob, i'd say do the same, better to have the option and not need it - than to need it and not have it.
PlukkyBoy wrote:My ability as a guitar player is easily outstripped by my abilities as a guitar buyer

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 755 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by Miza »

Stu, how does the Lil '59 sound set to single coil?

I'm hopefully gonna get one for my Tele (when it gets here).

Do you need to use a 500k pot with it? Or is the original Fender 250k ok?
Nothing to see here.

stuu
PRS McCarty
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by stuu »

Uh, pretty single-coily... does the trick as intended but i was a staunch humbucker kid at the time, not a singlecoil expert. When i was gigging it i was happy with the results though.

No idea about pots, gave a box of parts to Ash (neck, lil59 and QP pups, pickguard, body, ferrules, tuning pegs), he put em together and sourced whatever i was missing (pots, screws, switches, neutric jack etc etc) and gave it back.

He might remember, he might not. Was a few years back now.

Cool guitar. Could use a better neck. Bit too thick for me but makes me work harder.

</thread hijack>
PlukkyBoy wrote:My ability as a guitar player is easily outstripped by my abilities as a guitar buyer

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

I just got a Seymour Duncan 'Vintage Stack - Rhythm' (STK-T1n) neck pickup for my Blackout Tele to go in the middle position. Which I think is exactly the same one that you're talking about. I haven't had it installed so can't comment yet :) But I'm not going to bother with coil-tapping. A slightly darker, full bodied semi-humbucker may not suit as a Tele neck replacement, but this is going in the middle position which could do with some extra beef and tamer highs anyway - might be a good trade off!