Got the pickups - now what?

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 807 times

Got the pickups - now what?

Post by hamo »

Thanks to Ironbird I'm now in possession of a DiMarzio Evo 2 to go in my Epi LP Studio bridge, and thanks to my olds I've got a SD Alnico Pro 2 neck to go with it.

Now in previous conversations I've been told that putting these in with the standard Epi electronics would be a bit of a waste of time, so I want to replace them. Only problem is, I don't exactly know what I need. I already have a DiMarzio switch that the Rockshop put in for me when the original Epi one crapped out. So I guess that leaves me needing pots and caps? I've had a bit of a Google around and it talks about long vs short shaft pots, and also the shaft diameter and making sure it's the right size for the holes in your guitar. Does anyone know what I need to look out for in this regard for an Epi Studio?

Would something like this do? http://www.guitarparts.co.nz/cart/Detai ... &category=
Or is this more like it? http://www.guitarparts.co.nz/cart/Detai ... &category=

I should do all four pots too right? Leaving the old tone pots and just doing the volume would be a waste of time?

And what's the deal with caps?

I am a complete electronics noob and am likely to get someone to do the work for me. Anyone in or around Wellington keen to do the job? I can compensate for time spent with alcoholic beverages. :D
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Re: Got the pickups - now what?

Post by Ironbird13 »

the pots go through the wood of the body on that aye? (no pickgaurd) so you'll probably want long shaft pots, with that EVO you can coilsplit/tap it too :wink: (just to make it more complicated for ya :P )
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by hamo »

Ironbird13 wrote:the pots go through the wood of the body on that aye? (no pickgaurd) so you'll probably want long shaft pots, with that EVO you can coilsplit/tap it too :wink: (just to make it more complicated for ya :P )
Thanks man. Yeah, no PG, so through the wood. I thought long shaft (ib;jb), but thought I'd better ask the oracles.

Coilsplitting too huh? So does that mean I need a push/pull pot?

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

I fitted a set of active EMGs (81/85) into my Epi Zakk Wylde Custom. Since they were active and the old ones were passive they came with a full set of pots (in fact they came with 2 full sets, one long shafts and one short shafts).

I can't remember for sure which I used but I suspect it was the short ones (try looking on the EMG site for clues).

The Caps are there to do the tone control and stuff. They're usually soldered directly to the pots themselves (well the tags on the pots) and between two of the pots I recall.

I've done a fair bit of electronics over the years and can handle a soldering iron and follow circuit diagrams and it wasn't really too hard. However if you're not that comfortable and you don't have all the parts such as pots and caps it might be best to find a local tech and just get them to fit it for you if it isn't too expensive, at least that way you know you're going to get a good job done and won't be troubles with possible dry joints on your soldering that could bother you in the future.

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sty »

Ironbird13 wrote:the pots go through the wood of the body on that aye? (no pickgaurd) so you'll probably want long shaft pots, with that EVO you can coilsplit/tap it too :wink: (just to make it more complicated for ya :P )
I'm not 100% sure, and the guitar isn't here so I can't check, but the control cavity is routed quite close to the face of the guitar on my Epi so the wood is only about 7mm thick where the pots go through so it's not that thick.

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

On my ESP Eclipse (long gone now) I swapped the EMGs for passives which required me to change the pots. I bought CTS long shaft pots. The guitar only required short shaft pots and had a smaller sized hole for the pot shaft (IB:JB...) so I drilled a bigger hole and used a nut behind the pot to make it the right height once the knob was on. I used orange drop caps too.

You should take one of the pots out and take a photo of it for us so we can see if you need long shaft pots or not.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7750 times
Been liked: 4188 times

Post by jeremyb »

Thou shalt pull one of thine existing ones out and measure it then get yeeself off to ye olde www.guitarparts.co.nz
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

danrawkz
PRS
PRS
Been liked: 1 time

Post by danrawkz »

I dunno about it being a waste of time, imo it'd be fine with standard pots having done the whole CTS change thing many times before. Changing the caps can be useful and is a pretty simple soldering job.

Sometimes with CTS pots you need to make the holes wider in diameter too.

You're probably looking at short shaft pots without any metal plates in the cavity I think.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2267 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

jeremyb wrote:Thou shalt pull one of thine existing ones out and measure it then get yeeself off to ye olde http://www.guitarparts.co.nz
methinks...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by hamo »

I found one reference online that said all Epi solid-bodies are short shaft pots. It was on a Les Paul forum and was quoting "the RS website" - which I don't think refers to the Rockshop... :wink:

I don't even own a soldering iron (sure I've been through that in a thread here somewhere), so would be a totally new experience having a crack at doing it myself. Not against new experiences, but for this outing I might get someone that has a clue! :mrgreen:

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by hamo »

BG wrote:
jeremyb wrote:Thou shalt pull one of thine existing ones out and measure it then get yeeself off to ye olde http://www.guitarparts.co.nz
methinks...
Indeed. Although it was a visit to Guitarparts that led me back here to hit y'all up for advice on what to buy... :mrgreen:

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

Are you planning on doing the work your self H? If you're planning on sending it to a friendly craftsman, they will know instantly. For instance, Weta actually stock Guitarparts parts.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sty »

hamo wrote:I don't even own a soldering iron (sure I've been through that in a thread here somewhere), so would be a totally new experience having a crack at doing it myself. Not against new experiences, but for this outing I might get someone that has a clue! :mrgreen:
If you do it yourself, the bit I'd be cautious of is where you need to solder a couple of things to the back of the pots themselves (common earth I think), you need a fairly powerful soldering iron but you need to be careful not to overheat the pot itself otherwise you can damage it.

It's not massively difficult, but maybe practice first before launching into the guts of your guitar with a soldering iron, or buggering up you new pots.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by hamo »

Polar Bear wrote:Are you planning on doing the work your self H? If you're planning on sending it to a friendly craftsman, they will know instantly. For instance, Weta actually stock Guitarparts parts.
First plan was to hit up Welly forumites and see if anyone was keen to do the job for a few brews, and grab the stuff from Guitarparts. I was in the old Musicplanet and talking to Peter about pickups, and he asked Simcha what she'd charge to install a set, and she told him a hand shandy! Not sure if that's representative of rates around town, but... :?

I might try to get a couple of quotes, and it would be nice to get it set up at the same time, but hey, this is me we're talking about.

I don't think I'll have a hack myself except as a last resort. I have little faith in my DIY ability. :oops:

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

I put new Dimarzio pickups in my Epiphone LP100 ($399RRP) when I bought it in 1994, and didn't change any of the other parts. When I sold it about 4 years ago the pots and switches still worked fine. If you're pots and switches are working as they should be, just swap the pickups. It's not a waste of time at all, it'll still be a big change.

If you want help, bring it into Music Planet on a day that I'm in, (all Monday's, most Tuesday's, most Thursday's, most Saturday's). I'll do it for you for sod all.