Tonerider pickups review (Precision Bass)

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Timi
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Tonerider pickups review (Precision Bass)

Post by Timi »

Iain asked me to do a quick review of these Tonerider P Bass pickups I got a few weeks ago.

I put together a Partscision a few months back (USA Fender neck and Warmoth everything else). I ended up choosing SD Quarter Pounders as I've had (and liked) them before. Great pickups because they sound more "modern" and "fat" while still sounding like P Bass, but I quickly realized this wasn't the sound I wanted anymore. RRP on these Tonerider pickups is $79, quite a bit cheaper than SD/decent Fenders, and waaaay cheaper than the boutique stuff like Nordstrand ect. They source parts from all over the place but the are assembled and wound in China. They are vintage styled, including braided wire which is cool but annoying to work with.

They sound great, just the classic Precision tone. Obviously less output and less low end than the Quarter Pounders but I'm finding they work with my Hotcake a bit better (less low end into the clipping stage means a less farty sound) and having a less hyped low end sits with the band much better. My flatmate has a CIJ Precision with USA pickups, comparison isn't the best as he tunes really low and his strings aren't the newest, but the Toneriders seem to have similar voicing and output.

Only criticism is they could sound more "open". I have Nordstrands in my Jazz Bass which just sing and I assume their P Bass model would probably suit me, but 3-4 times the price and the difference would probably get lost in the mix... Cost aside these are good pickups, the price only makes them better. Based on these I wouldn't hesitate to try one of their other models if I needed something for a build or in an upgrade of a cheaper guitar. I'm tempted to say that on something like a new MIM Fender there would probably be a slight improvement.