Wanted: Cheap set of PAF's

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1023 times
Been liked: 2507 times

Re: Wanted: Cheap set of PAF's

Post by Slowy »

sizzlingbadger wrote:I often think those that think the PAF is a mystical pup are the ones that were daft enough to spend $5000 on them. I bet none of them could pass a blind testing.
That's exactly what makes the Tone Quest Report's research and articles so interesting.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

You've missed the point of collectables: there will never be any more 1950's PAFs than there are now and there's demand for them.

You can build replicas, but considering no two PAF are the same, you'll only ever have a copy, like the difference between having a real <insert_desirable_car> and a kitcar.
Tin arse!!

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7796 times
Been liked: 4216 times

Post by jeremyb »

RuBear wrote:I think there are a gajillion more impressive inventions than making a pickup hum-cancelling. Maybe it is just me.

Hell take the walkman and the hoover as two examples right there.
No one pays heaps if cash for old ones tho :mrgreen:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 417 times
Been liked: 1017 times

Post by bender »

Jenesis wrote:Image
:lol: :lol: :lol:

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1370 times
Been liked: 2102 times

Post by GrantB »

slowfingers wrote:
sizzlingbadger wrote:I often think those that think the PAF is a mystical pup are the ones that were daft enough to spend $5000 on them. I bet none of them could pass a blind testing.
That's exactly what makes the Tone Quest Report's research and articles so interesting.
Out of interest slowfingers, did they do blind tests?
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Ears
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Ears »

*UNIQUE* wrote:
Ears wrote: So now it means only those made in 1950s? OK.
? Not sure of your point here? In my relatively tongue in cheek argument, yes, that is what I am saying. Only from the 50's/early 60's. Everything else is "like" a PAF, but not one.

TBH, it doesn't matter a flying rats rectum...just an interesting argument.
If I'm making an argument at all it's that PAF refers to a design, not a pickup that was manufactured between any date.
Those in the 1950s and early 60s were the first manufactured to a Patent Applied For design. Pickups manufactured today to the same "patent applied for" design are/(were until this thread) happily regarded by me to also be PAF pickups.

You're right of course, it really doesn't matter a rat's arse, and I'm quite happy to rearrange my viewpoint.

edit: Oh, and I am in total agreement that PAF shouldn't apply to every model/spec of 'bucker.
"The piano is a monster that screams when you touch its teeth". - Andres Segovia

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Your point is technically accurate Ears. Flip side is that the original PAF pickup design has been copied but many argue, never duplicated.

I'm going to organise a real PAF vs modern copy towards the end of the year. Same guitar (technically) and same amp/settings etc. I'll You Tube it.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by alanp »

I thought part of the mystique was that none of them sounded quite the same? This'd make it hard for a defender of a PAF-copy to claim that it sounds JUST like a PAF, since it isn't going to sound like every PAF out there.
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

Jenesis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Jenesis »

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7796 times
Been liked: 4216 times

Post by jeremyb »

The ones from the era that say patent applied for on them are what makes them a real PAF tho Ears, I still use the term tho to describe whatever looks like one :?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Ears
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Ears »

jeremyb wrote:The ones from the era that say patent applied for on them are what makes them a real PAF tho Ears,
fair point, out of interest for how long did Gibson put PAF labels on pups?
"The piano is a monster that screams when you touch its teeth". - Andres Segovia

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

*UNIQUE* wrote:Your point is technically accurate Ears. Flip side is that the original PAF pickup design has been copied but many argue, never duplicated.

The funny thing about the nature of "the design" is that it is very vague, especially with regard to the patent. Patents are always reasonably vague so as to prevent loopholes and in this case, almost none of the important characteristics that distinguish a real PAF in performance from a different flavour of pickup are specified.

Even in all these years subsequent, Seth lover has not been able to reveal exact details to the satisfaction of would-be cloners. Not even Gibson. That seems to be because he simply didn't know what he was doing in fine detail, he was just making something that works.

Slowfingers' comment regarding the simplicity of humbuckers comes in here. Humbuckers are pretty simple, and that's what the patent defines. However, I challenge any layman to list even half of the important parameters that make the difference between, say, an SD '59 and an SD Antiquity. Or a '59 and a Distortion. Or a '59 and a DiMarzio Virtual PAF.

Incidentally, DiMarzio hold the trademark for PAF, not Gibson :lol:
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Ears wrote:
jeremyb wrote:The ones from the era that say patent applied for on them are what makes them a real PAF tho Ears,
fair point, out of interest for how long did Gibson put PAF labels on pups?
Started in '57 and went through to '60-'61 ish....but there was old stock coming out until '63. Patent was granted in '59 but obviously there was stock sitting there...or they had lots of PAF decals and no Patent Number ones.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

The whole PAF thing is way more than just tone...