Wanted: Cheap set of PAF's

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Re: Wanted: Cheap set of PAF's

Post by Rog »

Stop pissing around and spend some REAL money!
http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=385095984
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1210 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

*UNIQUE* wrote:The whole PAF thing is way more than just tone...
Yes it is, they are collectable like old cars, but not necessarily any better than modern ones and sometimes worse :wink:
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Does the POD HD have PAF patches?

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

I reckon it's mostly not about tone.

In the same way that stamp collecting is not about posting letters.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2492 times

Post by Slowy »

Ok, risking a TL:DR, here's a brief excerpt from the articles I mentioned.
Keep in mind that this refers to two PAF's from a detailed study of 7 PAF's fitted in varying combinations into a number of Les Pauls and 6 original, unmolested 1959 Sunbursts.

"Two additional PAFs measuring
7.68K and 7.71K proved to be our personal favorites, both sounding
exceptional in the neck and bridge. They embodied everything we find so rare
and appealing in PAFs –clarity with stunning string
definition, percussive bloom emerging from the initial pick
attack, brilliant sustain held aloft by open and airy harmonic
content, tremendous treble presence in the bridge with rocksolid
lows on the bottom strings, and a bigger than life vocal
personality in the neck completely lacking the muffled and
muted tone of typical replica PAFs. “Warm, sweet compression?”
Hardly.
In our experience, great PAFs are utterly
majestic, extremely animated and endowed with an overwhelming
character that, once heard, is unforgettable.
Bright, yes, but ‘sweet’ they are not."
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

And with a hint of French oak.....
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

*UNIQUE* wrote:And with a hint of French oak.....
It's got a good nose with fruity overtones.
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2492 times

Post by Slowy »

*UNIQUE* wrote:And with a hint of French oak.....
Aye.. but when you spend this much cash, you have to be a cork sniffer. :wink:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

handlefras
Gibson
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by handlefras »

At a guess:

Resistance:
Of each coil (mismatched windings or even)
Total resistance of both coils combined

Magnet:
Alnico type (or ceramic for the distortion?)
Magnet dimensions
Finished/rough
Guass

Wire:
Gauge
Coating (PE or Poly)

Winding:
I don't know about SDs winding machines, but I'm guessing they would have different speeds and traverse set for each pup. Tension would be a factor also, but is perhaps standard.

These might be the same for all the pups mentioned:
Bobbin/Coil height
Slug and screw metal

Looking at it this way, there are certainly a lot of factors involved. Ash, am I close?
Too many guitars, not enough talent.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7746 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

I believe they wound them by hand until the bobbins were full, hence the variability, tone is so subjective anyway, wouldn't turn down a nice LP with a pair of them in it tho :lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 251 times

Post by Capt. Black »

alanp wrote:I thought part of the mystique was that none of them sounded quite the same? This'd make it hard for a defender of a PAF-copy to claim that it sounds JUST like a PAF, since it isn't going to sound like every PAF out there.

I think that individual variability aside, the general characteristics of any guitar, amp, mic model or whatever, is broadly the same. When people talk of going into US guitar shops and trying out 20 LPs until they find one they like, doesn't make the others any less distinguishably an LP. If you walked into Jim Marshalls shop in the sixties, you could probably try and buy your pick of the amps in store. Components reputedly changed from one production run to the next but they were always pretty much the same sound. You knew what you were buying and if you bought three, (a la Hendrix) you probably had your favorite. But that didn't mean the rest were duds.

Vintage gear "Mystique" comes from relative scarcity. How many of us have tried an actual 50s or 60s LP? A genuine Marshall Plexi? An early AC30? I have. But so long ago now I couldn't begin to remember what they were like!
Back in the late 70s and early 80s you could walk into AK shops like Kingsley Smith and try a selection of second hand LPs, SGs, Strats, Fender twins etc. Fat chance of that now. At best we can have a go on a "Re-issue". Without a genuine oldie to compare against we just have to trust the sales blurb.
Having said that, the better re-issues often do successfully capture the broad spirit of the vintage gear they're modeled on. I'm thinking Marshall Hand wired series and some of the Gibson and Fender models. Likewise with many pedals modeled on vintage designs. Whether they're exactly the same as the old gear or not, they're often something special in their own right simply by following those old classic design and construction principals.

YMMV TL:DR Some other stuff...

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

handlefras wrote:At a guess:

Looking at it this way, there are certainly a lot of factors involved. Ash, am I close?
Close to half ;)

You got the basics and some clever stuff. The things you listed are enough to get PAF-ish at least, but there is a mind boggling level of detail within each of those parameters. Not all matter than much, but some things make the difference between PAF-ish and OMG-THAT'S-THE-BEST-PAF-CLONE-I'VE-EVER-HEARD.

For example, Gauss values are important for predicting any pickup's tone, but what about breaking that down another level to not simply the Gauss figure, but where along the decay curve you're at? Or how the Gauss varies along the length of the pickup?

Not just whether the magnet is Alnico or ceramic, but which version of each? What is the porosity of that particular batch? How well does the composition match the ideal values for critical elements?

Not just the tension, but how does the tension vary throughout the coil and from side to side?

In my opinion going to this level of detail is a silly waste of time in most cases, but it is what makes the difference to the corksniffy types. My solution to that dilemma is to not bother trying to clone something that far cleverer people have so far failed to do. :lol:
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by ash »

jeremyb wrote:I believe they wound them by hand until the bobbins were full, hence the variability, tone is so subjective anyway, wouldn't turn down a nice LP with a pair of them in it tho :lol:
Gibson used Leesona automatic coil winding machines on PAFs. They have a traverse machanism that gives a specific winding pattern with unique quirks that are apparently critical to the mojo that everyone wants (so says a guy who uses an ex-Gibson Leesona). Gibson also used a bodged together DIY machine for later pickups when production had increased.

Fender was the one that handwound their coils, although they counted the turns. Gibson filled the bobbins.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

Going back to your DiMarzio trademark comment Ash, to my ears the best PAF clone I have heard actually was a DiMarzio. I rate their stuff.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

capt abaham
Gibson

Post by capt abaham »

the guitar I bought last week has an old set of nickle cover gibson pick ups with the patent number stamped onto the base, is there a way to work out the model without pulling the covers off?
they measure about 7.6k and 7.3k, both sound great and have allot of range within the parameters of the volume and tone control
Originally Posted by STEEL KAGE
As for the Vid, IMHO, the guy played the notes but had none of LC vibe or finesse...